S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

It looks fast too!

Old 06-14-2013, 10:32 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by arsenal
Why not just simply answer the question?

Reading one sentence is much better that 27 pages, 80% of which is compliments etc.

@ziptiespoke.
If you read post #1 in my group-buy thread, it thoroughly answers your question. If you have any questions after reading that post, please ask.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:39 AM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Let me clarify, I understand how much the Gern makes by itself, was looking for the number for the complete system including the muffler etc. as posted on the previous page...
Old 06-14-2013, 11:57 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by s2kreeper
I saw that post on the past page too, mid-range torque doesn't mean much to me either, as that at best helps with one gear (1st) whereas every other gear you'll be at over 6k, hopefully in vtec (if you don't fail shift your ap2 if it has a lightweight flywheel ). It also seems the AFR is inconsistent with your tune of the gernpipe. Any chance to help me understand why? It matches the torque curve perfectly, which is probably why the berk made more power/tq higher rpm. There might be some more you could get out of your pipe as well!

Also, any chance we can get the weight of at least the header-back gern system compared to the berk's? And the reason for 2.5? I know you would choose something like pipe diameter for a very specific reason, just wondering why not 3".

As a few other warnings to people who will harp on me saying mid range doesn't matter, no one cares about daily driving at lower RPM, just straight performance , at least that's how I feel.
The reason why the AFR goes rich between 3K-5K with the Berk is because it doesn't produce as much scavenging as my mid-pipe in that range. This is due to the transition exhaust diameter being too close to the motor for that RPM range. Obviously, that's why it made less torque in that range. However, the AFR goes lean above 5K without making any more power (the difference shown is within margin of error). The reason for this is that the scavenging created by the Berk is so strong above 5K that it actually pulls fresh air and unburned fuel straight through the combustion chamber during that short time that the exhaust and intake valves are both open (overlap). Basically, you're just wasting fuel.

If you're a drag racer, and really don't care about the daily driving experience, then my mid-pipe wouldn't gain you much. However, if you don't always drive in a straight line while shifting at the rev limitter, then my mid-pipe makes a world of difference.

I started out with a 3" entry and exit, but discovered that performance was better with a 63" entry. The reason why I changed to a 2.5" muffler is because it made the same amount of power with less wasted fuel. If you look back through the thread, you'll see how I tested that using dual EGT sensors, one on each side of an HFC to measure the amount of fuel being burned by the HFC.

EDIT: I don't recall the weight of the Berk, and I haven't weighed the final production version of my system. I posted the weight of one of the "almost production" units in my group-buy thread, but I actually don't remember what it was. I think it was either 27 or 37 lbs, which would be awesome for a quiet dual outlet header-back with an HFC.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:00 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by arsenal
Let me clarify, I understand how much the Gern makes by itself, was looking for the number for the complete system including the muffler etc. as posted on the previous page...
The dyno plots that I posted in the beginning of both threads were done using an early version of my full system (mid-pipe with a Dingle). There really isn't any performance gain from the Dingle, since the power gains are all created by the mid-pipe.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:04 PM
Former Sponsor

Forgot to post the video.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRlKplZURnU[/media]
Old 06-14-2013, 12:07 PM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Gernby
Originally Posted by arsenal' timestamp='1371235194' post='22608975
The dyno plots that I posted in the beginning of both threads were done using an early version of my full system (mid-pipe with a Dingle). There really isn't any performance gain from the Dingle, since the power gains are all created by the mid-pipe.
That's what I needed to know. Thanks.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gernby
Forgot to post the video.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRlKplZURnU[/media]

Where in Mexico was this?
Old 06-18-2013, 04:04 AM
Former Sponsor

Here are some more pictures.

Adjustability!

Old 06-18-2013, 06:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, the finished Gern-pipe and Dingle combo looks great! Great job on making these pieces friendly to ship. I can't wait to get mine!
Old 06-18-2013, 06:39 AM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Has this been tested on a turbo car with any success? I currently have a 3" Asura and your design facinates me.

Quick Reply: It looks fast too!