S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

It looks fast too!

Old 03-18-2013, 11:47 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

thanks to Bryan720 for sending me a link to the HKS system! If this is the one ikkyboy was referring to, then it's not like my system at all. The catalytic converter pictured below is virtually a stock cat that has been chrome plated. It bolts right up to OEM header and OEM exhaust. That said, I do see some similarities to the strategy I used from drone reduction in my Dingle.

Old 06-13-2013, 05:58 AM
Former Sponsor

UPDATE!

I traded cars yesterday with a local buyer (M&M08), and test fit the first production piece from the completed jigs! They fit perfectly, so the final welding is being done today! After the completed exhaust is back on the car later today, I'll tune it and take it back to the owner.

It's so exciting to finally have the first production system done!

On that note, I've decided to start taking orders for the next batch! I'll continue to offer the Gern-Pipe by itself for $1200 shipped to the contiguous 48 states, and you can upgrade that to a full system (Dingle) for an additional $800. The really good news for the next batch is that we should be ready to start shipping these in about a month!

For those that already have the Gern-Pipe, and have been asking to add a Dingle, there would be some additional cost.

Old 06-13-2013, 07:58 AM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

So $2k for complete exhaust system...what are the overall gains over stock exhaust?
Old 06-13-2013, 08:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by arsenal
So $2k for complete exhaust system...what are the overall gains over stock exhaust?
This is page 27 of the thread. Please review the previous pages/posts for the answer to your question
Old 06-13-2013, 08:36 AM

Glad my berk still competes with the best of them, even if it is "old tech". The biggest benefit I see in gern pipe is something I don't value, but applaud you for doing (no drone). Just a bit too rich for my blood! Any weight differences of your dual tip versus berk's 3" single?
Old 06-13-2013, 11:02 AM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Why not just simply answer the question?

Reading one sentence is much better that 27 pages, 80% of which is compliments etc.

@ziptiespoke.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:05 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by s2kreeper
Glad my berk still competes with the best of them, even if it is "old tech". The biggest benefit I see in gern pipe is something I don't value, but applaud you for doing (no drone). Just a bit too rich for my blood! Any weight differences of your dual tip versus berk's 3" single?
Actually, I tested the Gern-Pipe with the integrated HFC and a 2.5" single muffler against the test pipe version of the Berk single, and did perform just as well in the upper RPMs. However, it did not perform as well in the midrange. Basically, the Gern-Pipe provides better gains than a test pipe while having an HFC, and it does it with less drone.

Here is a quote about the test from the group-buy thread.

Some stars came into alignment today for me to do a test that I've wanted to do for almost 2 years. When I started testing different exhaust designs, the first one I built was a 3" single without a resonator, very similar to the Berk single. I used that exhaust many many times as my "benchmark" for designs that followed. However, I really wanted to test against a Berk Single, but I didn't want to spend the money on it.

Now that I'm considering my different options for production units, I figured it might be an interesting option for me to sell modified Berk Singles that will bolt onto the Gern-Pipe. Maybe I could even get Berk to offer a Gern-Ready version...

Anyway, I ordered a Berk Single a few weeks ago, and received it yesterday. Since the new Dingle is being welded today, I decided to go ahead and test it. I decided to test the Berk against my 2.5" single. The Berk that I got is the test pipe version, but my Gern-Pipe has an HFC. Even though I have done similar tests with my custom 3" single, I was still a tad nervous that the Berk would somehow prove all my discoveries wrong.

I was able to complete the tests on the Berk, then swap my Gern-Pipe and 2.5" single back on and retest in just a couple hours. Thankfully, the results were the same as what I've seen countless times over the last 2 years. The Berk does create more scavenging in the upper RPMs due to the diameter increase at the header flange, but much of that scavening is wasted. Also, due to the transition being so close to the motor, the scavenging pulses arrive back to the engine too soon to provide benefit below ~5200 RPMs. That's where the Gern-Pipe makes it's gains. The location and shape of the expansion chamber ensures that the scavenging energy is just strong enough to achieve max benefit while also being spread across a very wide RPM range.

I also tested the Berk's drone levels at full load and also at half load (I call it "cruise throttle"). After reading so many people talk about how bad the Berk drones, I was expecting the drone to be unbearable. However, it really seems much more tolerable than the Greddy SE dual that I tested a few months ago. The Greddy made my bones hurt, even with the top down, and I literally couldn't wait to get out of my car when it was on there. The Berk doesn't irritate me nearly as much. My Drone-O-Meter graphs are below the dyno plots.

Green is the Berk single (test-pipe version) and Turquoise is my Gern-Pipe (integrated HFC) and 2.5" single.

Old 06-13-2013, 11:31 AM

I saw that post on the past page too, mid-range torque doesn't mean much to me either, as that at best helps with one gear (1st) whereas every other gear you'll be at over 6k, hopefully in vtec (if you don't fail shift your ap2 if it has a lightweight flywheel ). It also seems the AFR is inconsistent with your tune of the gernpipe. Any chance to help me understand why? It matches the torque curve perfectly, which is probably why the berk made more power/tq higher rpm. There might be some more you could get out of your pipe as well!

Also, any chance we can get the weight of at least the header-back gern system compared to the berk's? And the reason for 2.5? I know you would choose something like pipe diameter for a very specific reason, just wondering why not 3".

As a few other warnings to people who will harp on me saying mid range doesn't matter, no one cares about daily driving at lower RPM, just straight performance , at least that's how I feel.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by arsenal
Why not just simply answer the question?

Reading one sentence is much better that 27 pages, 80% of which is compliments etc.

@ziptiespoke.
It's ziptiespec...

Why not simply read the thread (or at least the first page! there are dyno graphs there!!) before asking a question? Right, reading sucks. It's easier to just ask someone else, no?

There are also some graphs in the group buy thread, again on the first page: https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/991...ipe-group-buy/
Old 06-13-2013, 04:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I care a lot about daily driving and mid-range performance. I love downshifting don't get me wrong, but the mid-range torque makes it to where you don't have to -- overall its just a way more balanced car.

Mid-range is beneficial everywhere but the drag strip (well, I guess its useful in 1st gear like you said). In an autocross slalom, you're able to reduce the likelihood of causing a weight imbalance like you would at high-rpm, and you have that much more power when exiting. On the track there are numerous occasions where you can fall below 6K; with a gern-pipe and tune this is less of an annoyance and more of an awesomance.

Quick Reply: It looks fast too!