S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

It looks fast too!

Old 09-05-2012, 08:01 PM
Sponsor
Gold Member (Premium)Member (Premium)Vendor - Starter Primary

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

So I had the chance to drive Gernby's car for a half a day... To sum up, It simply adds to the driving experience of the S2000.

The mid pipe picks up the midrange of an engine that Honda sacrificed for their design goal of hit 240HP on a 2, now 2.15 liter car. Every time I ripped through 2 or 3rd gear I just kept thinking back to one of gernbys statements "it has so much mid range the top end feels week". Based on his dyons, the top end is still there and even makes a bit more torque. The mid range bump is so great, it feels like the top end simply drops off. I found myself short shifting quite a bit because it felt like I did not need to redline to enjoy ripping through the gears.

As for sound, I simply can believe how quite it is. I have an evasive 70mm dual sparrow and this simply felt civil. Besides a 3.5K resonance burst, the exhaust just sounded stock all the way to redline. At the typical crusing RPM of 4K, it was unbelievable how quite this was. Absolutely no drone. Bottom line, there is not a performance modification available today for the S2000 that offers more performance and maintains everyday civility and OEM driveability.

Old 09-05-2012, 11:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyushin
Originally Posted by Gernby' timestamp='1346685965' post='21984217
[quote name='Kyushin' timestamp='1346612823' post='21982843']
So I guess getting Cali CARB didnt happen? CARB is very unreasonable with their certification prices and requirements.
I wouldn't even consider CARB certification for this, since I don't even plan to make more than 20 for the S2000.

Understandable, Im so tempted to do this but kinda scared to cut my CT exhaust.
[/quote]

I am having the same thoughts about my AP1 Mugen...the results so far are so tempting. It's an extremely good design. I'm also worried about the exhaust note and drone. Unmolested it has an amazing tone, and just loud enough for my liking... I dont want to potentially lose that. It's largely the reason why I decided to go with the Mugen.

Even though Gernby has already done very extensive and great efforts towards testing and measuring drone and db's there still a bit of an unknown with each different exhaust system.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:55 PM
Community Organizer

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Urge
So I had the chance to drive Gernby's car for a half a day... To sum up, It simply adds to the driving experience of the S2000.

The mid pipe picks up the midrange of an engine that Honda sacrificed for their design goal of hit 240HP on a 2, now 2.15 liter car. Every time I ripped through 2 or 3rd gear I just kept thinking back to one of gernbys statements "it has so much mid range the top end feels week". Based on his dyons, the top end is still there and even makes a bit more torque. The mid range bump is so great, it feels like the top end simply drops off. I found myself short shifting quite a bit because it felt like I did not need to redline to enjoy ripping through the gears.

As for sound, I simply can believe how quite it is. I have an evasive 70mm dual sparrow and this simply felt civil. Besides a 3.5K resonance burst, the exhaust just sounded stock all the way to redline. At the typical crusing RPM of 4K, it was unbelievable how quite this was. Absolutely no drone. Bottom line, there is not a performance modification available today for the S2000 that offers more performance and maintains everyday civility and OEM driveability.
^nice! Which exhaust was mated to Greg's car?
Old 09-06-2012, 05:32 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks for the feedback Patrick (URGE)! I must say, I'm impressed with your audible acuity. For you to pick up the resonance at 3500 RPMs is amazing! The whole reason why I wrote my "Drone-O-Meter" is because my audible acuity is terrible. I don't detect any change in sound level unless it's VERY significant. Below is an updated plot showing the drone level of several recent exhaust configurations.

BTW, my car was entirely stock for Patrick's test drive, except for my mid-pipe with Borla Dingle muffler and a FlashPro tune. This was the same configuration used for the dyno testing in post #1.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I purchased a 2007 S2000 and I am VERY interested in your midpipe. The previous owner already installed Toda headers and Hondata Toda reflash. I would like to add your midpipe, Flash Pro and the Evasive 70-SSP single exhaust (seen here). Would you be able to conclude anything about that combination just from looking at the exhaust design?

Edit: Intake will be stock + K&N drop in filter.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:39 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Gernby, don't forget to add a bung for the aftermarket wideband.
i guess it should be as close to the manifold/header as possible...
Old 09-07-2012, 07:45 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Croc
Gernby, don't forget to add a bung for the aftermarket wideband.
i guess it should be as close to the manifold/header as possible...
I'm not planning to add a 2nd O2 bung, but would be willing to add them on a custom basis. Since I believe most of the people that buy one of my pipes will have an EMS, I think most people will just need a single bung in the midpipe. Since the very front portion of my mid-pipe is an "off the shelf" test pipe, which already has the O2 bung installed, adding another bung would be a significant increase in my manufacturing time and cost.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:47 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by gizzard
I purchased a 2007 S2000 and I am VERY interested in your midpipe. The previous owner already installed Toda headers and Hondata Toda reflash. I would like to add your midpipe, Flash Pro and the Evasive 70-SSP single exhaust (seen here). Would you be able to conclude anything about that combination just from looking at the exhaust design?

Edit: Intake will be stock + K&N drop in filter.
I haven't found any muffler that makes a measurable difference in performance, and all mufflers wind up with reduced drone. The only outcome that I would not be able to predict is whether a particular muffler (or pair of mufflers) might have more or less rasp with my mid-pipe compared to the original.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:26 AM
Community Organizer

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts

^Interesting, so pairing the gernpipe with an OEM exhaust should produce the same amount of power as pairing it with an exhaust that originally has 70mm piping like the Greddy SE, Q300 or even a single exhaust? If this is the case, this would make the gernpipe significantly more cost effective for those that still run a stock exhaust (unless you don't want to hack-up your stock exhaust).
Old 09-07-2012, 03:32 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by alSpeed2k
^Interesting, so pairing the gernpipe with an OEM exhaust should produce the same amount of power as pairing it with an exhaust that originally has 70mm piping like the Greddy SE, Q300 or even a single exhaust? If this is the case, this would make the gernpipe significantly more cost effective for those that still run a stock exhaust (unless you don't want to hack-up your stock exhaust).
If you look back a few pages to the dynojet results pmptx posted using stock mufflers, you'll see that the results are almost the same as what I achieved with my 3" Dingle.

Quick Reply: It looks fast too!