S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

It looks fast too!

Old 08-13-2012, 01:13 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

good to know, thanks.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hopefully getting my S within the next week or 2. I have been following this thread and its R&D. Might have to be my 1st mod! Keep up the good work.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wanna send me a test setup? Lol I'd love to try it with my truck tips and see how it is.I'd pay shipping and for dyno time to keep said pipe lol.I couldn't afford that price outright any time soon.but coul find a way to compensate with u?

My setup is.
K&n heatshield with 3.5 intake pipe with 35° bends trying to support laminar airflow best I could. With k&n filter
68Mm tb with intake Mani port matched
Flat faced valves.
Megan racing header(OEM rusted out lol) did see a 3hp gain prevtec and 7postvtec
And your setup would replace my current catback area.
I got an ingalls stiffy tq damper if it makes a difference lol.
And a 4.77fd if that'll effect dyno in any way
And a MY03 ecu on my00 car.have been looking for a vafc or emanage for cheap to
Old 08-14-2012, 04:58 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I appreciate the offer for testing, but I already have 2 ideal candidates lined up for testing.

On another note, I have great news regarding the EGT testing I started! I purchased an EGT sensor last year, and intended to use it to verify that the HFC was getting hot enough, quickly enough, but never got around to installing it. However, I installed that EGT last week, then installed a 2nd EGT last night. The first part of the good news is that the HFC does light off within a minute or 2, depending on throttle input, which is quicker than I expected. It will be even quicker than that once I have sound deadening inside the chamber (insulation).

The better news is that it seems that I've proven that my midpipe may actually "over scavenge" the engine when it has a 3" muffler and a PWJDM intake. I'll provide more details after I complete more testing...
Old 08-14-2012, 05:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow! Can't wait to see results man! Very interested in temps.do u think it may get to hot at any point or with it being so far back in the stream it won't suffer like factory placement seems to do IMO
Old 08-14-2012, 06:27 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Breaking Point
Wow! Can't wait to see results man! Very interested in temps.do u think it may get to hot at any point or with it being so far back in the stream it won't suffer like factory placement seems to do IMO

I don't know how hot the OEM cat gets, but it is close to the engine for a reason. It's terrible for performance, but great for emissions. From what I've read, it's pretty common for a catalytic converter to reach 2000 degrees F, but the HFC incorporated in my mid-pipe is reaching about 900 F at full load / high RPMs in 3rd gear. It might exceed 1K F in higher gears with sustained high RPMs.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

damn Gernby that looks great
Old 08-14-2012, 08:20 PM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Gernby
Originally Posted by Hakkaboy' timestamp='1342900921' post='21878494
speaking of OEM mufflers, since you usually comment on exhaust threads, any thoughts on the UK OEM exhaust mod?
I think it seems like a good way to make the stock exhaust louder, but it wouldn't improve power.
does that UK exhaust mod effect the vtec/powerband at all such that an oem resonator removal would?? Id be interested in it if it doesnt affect the powerband/vtec kick. thans Gernby.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:49 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Carbon Blue
does that UK exhaust mod effect the vtec/powerband at all such that an oem resonator removal would?? Id be interested in it if it doesnt affect the powerband/vtec kick. thans Gernby.
If the stock resonator is in place, nothing after it will have much impact on torque at all.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:25 AM
Former Sponsor

I decided I couldn't wait for those custom perforated megaphones to build my next "near-production" unit, so I spent all evening last night making another perf-cone by hand (what a PITA!). I used a combination of fiberglass and fine stainless steel wool on this one, so it should do a very good job eliminating rasp. I hope to finish tacking up the unit tonight, then I'll take it to the local muffler shop to have them finish the welding on Friday. I have an autocross on Saturday, but I will try to get some new sound clips with the new unit Saturday evening.

On another note, I compiled my test results from the EGT testing, and sent them over to another engineer to see if he agreed with my hypothesis. Unless he punches holes in them, I'll post those results as soon as I hear back.

Quick Reply: It looks fast too!