S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

It looks fast too!

Old 08-10-2012, 07:18 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I didn't get a chance to read through all 9 pages thus far, so I'm assuming this is a mid-pipe, and now offering a single exhaust setup? Is there a dual? And OP if you can PM future pricing that would be great, shipped to 60516.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:05 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

The rasp is definitely related to the muffler that is added. Most of the "dingle" mufflers I tested did not have any rasp, and the 3" magnaflow had just a small amount (that made it sound like a race car). The OEM mufflers also have rasp without the sound deadening material. I believe the final production unit will have no rasp, hopefully with any muffler. The most raspy muffler I've tested was the Q300, which had bad rasp even with its own midpipe, so I will use that as my benchmark for the final design.

@TofuProductions, please do scan the thread. Most of the posts are from me, with important info, pictures, and data. I don't want this thread to turn into 20 pages just because people won't spend a few minutes scanning the first 5 pages.

Old 08-11-2012, 02:15 PM
Former Sponsor

I finally got around to installing the bungs for 2 EGT sensors, and hooked up the 1 EGT sensor that I have. I wish I would have done this sooner, since it's a pretty cool setup. I have a PLX Kiwi Wifi with 3 PLX iMFD sensor modules (soon to be 4), but haven't ever tried them out until today. I should get the 2nd EGT on Monday, and that will tell me a lot about how the exhaust is performing.

Please note my amazing weld quality!

Also note that I WILL NOT be doing the welding on the production models!

Old 08-13-2012, 07:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tester update-
After having the Gernpipe on the car for a few weeks. I can say I will be buying one at full retail.

Why you ask.

It allows me to run the car as a crazy high rev demon, and it allows me to have it be a reasonable DD if I desired.
Typically when I want to get the S to move it requires a downshift. With the Gernpipe, I am more able to stay in a higher gear and the TQ is still there. It is not quite the midrange of my J series on the Acura TLS, but the gap has shrunk considerably.
And mileage has improved by about 8% from 25 to 27 mpg on the past 4 tanks. So break even is a ways in the future, but the improved drive is the other part of the equation.

As a side note, I expect to be hitting a dyno just to see what the Gern pipe is actually doing other than via the Flashpro.
Also planning a track day in September so I will see if the mid range helps with some of the turns that you come out of just outside of the TQ and powerband.
Stay tuned (couldn't help the pun)for the results in the next few weeks.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:18 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Gernby
If you haven't seen it, here is a quote from a big test I did over a year ago comparing test pipes, HFC's and the OEM cat. Note that the green line below is what I got from the 70mm Berk HFC combined with the 70mm ASM single. With my mid-pipe (with integrated HFC), there would be an even better line than ANY shown below.

This doesn't look like the case when you compare the plot on page 4 (70mm TP/ASM) to page 1 (gernpipe)
I'm guessing because the 70mm one is road tourqe and gernpipe is an actual dyno?
Old 08-13-2012, 09:41 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by pmptx
Tester update-
After having the Gernpipe on the car for a few weeks. I can say I will be buying one at full retail.

Why you ask.

It allows me to run the car as a crazy high rev demon, and it allows me to have it be a reasonable DD if I desired.
Typically when I want to get the S to move it requires a downshift. With the Gernpipe, I am more able to stay in a higher gear and the TQ is still there. It is not quite the midrange of my J series on the Acura TLS, but the gap has shrunk considerably.
And mileage has improved by about 8% from 25 to 27 mpg on the past 4 tanks. So break even is a ways in the future, but the improved drive is the other part of the equation.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:59 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by pmptx
Tester update-

Why you ask.

As a side note, I expect to be hitting a dyno just to see what the Gern pipe is actually doing other than via the Flashpro.
Also planning a track day in September so I will see if the mid range helps with some of the turns that you come out of just outside of the TQ and powerband.
Stay tuned (couldn't help the pun)for the results in the next few weeks.
Great Feedback! Thanks!

If you can do 1 dyno session with the GernPipe and another with your stock setup, I will reimburse you for both! I'll send a PM to discuss the details.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:03 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by award78
Originally Posted by Gernby' timestamp='1342313812' post='21860365
If you haven't seen it, here is a quote from a big test I did over a year ago comparing test pipes, HFC's and the OEM cat. Note that the green line below is what I got from the 70mm Berk HFC combined with the 70mm ASM single. With my mid-pipe (with integrated HFC), there would be an even better line than ANY shown below.

This doesn't look like the case when you compare the plot on page 4 (70mm TP/ASM) to page 1 (gernpipe)
I'm guessing because the 70mm one is road tourqe and gernpipe is an actual dyno?

The DynoJet plots that I posted on page 1 were done with the stock intake, but the testing I did for the plots on page 4 were done with a PWJDM intake. There's a very big difference in the torque curve between the PWJDM and stock intakes. There's actually very little difference between the DynoJet plots compared to my CAN Dyno plots.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:23 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok that makes sense.

I'm still curious as to how the top end of this mid-pipe compares to a 3" header-back like berk? 2hp up top might not be worth the noise anyway.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:58 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by award78
Ok that makes sense.

I'm still curious as to how the top end of this mid-pipe compares to a 3" header-back like berk? 2hp up top might not be worth the noise anyway.
Since I have not tested the Berk single, I won't make any promises about how my mid-pipe would compare in the top end with any particular mufflers attached. However, I have tested my mid-pipe against a straight 3" pipe. The peak torque and power were the same, but my mid-pipe provided significantly more gains below 6K while in VTEC.

Quick Reply: It looks fast too!