S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

It looks fast too!

Old 07-27-2012, 07:19 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Vitt
Originally Posted by Gernby' timestamp='1343399676' post='21893505
The single that I built a couple days ago, and tested last night, has virtually zero drone. It's actually way too quiet! It literally sounds about like stock all the time with the top up or down. I'll post recordings and graphs in a bit.
Is that the same model Magnaflow (different/custom inlet-outlet) as the one on post #139?

No, it's this one. I wish there was a 3" version of this muffler, since the 2.5 is really too quiet.

Old 07-27-2012, 07:57 AM
Former Sponsor

Here are some graphs showing the drone levels at full throttle and "cruise throttle" with the OEM mufflers, Q300, 3" Magnaflow, and 2.5" U-bend Magnaflow.

Cruise throttle

Full throttle
Old 07-29-2012, 09:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rode in Greg's car today -- absolutely zero drone with his most recent 2.5" Magnaflow twisty. Pretty compelled to give this a try on the Greddy SE Dual, we'll see
Old 07-29-2012, 09:34 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Driv300mph
Rode in Greg's car today -- absolutely zero drone with his most recent 2.5" Magnaflow twisty. Pretty compelled to give this a try on the Greddy SE Dual, we'll see
I wonder how hard it would be for a welder to replicate this Magnaflow "twisty." Sounds like that may be the way to go.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, so first impression now that the Gernby midpipe is attached to an OEM set of mufflers (the one in the pic on top of the page) on my car.

Sound going through partial throttle from 2500-5000 is great (I am the last person to ask about an exhaust for sound-if it improves perormance, then I am in) I noticed the slightly deeper sound and like it.

The big improvement come with the fact you can use Flashpro to amend the VTEC engagement point since the exhaust removes a resonant dip around 5500. With the ability to produce more linear power the predicability and smothness as the cam flips is a ton better.

I am excited to get it back out on the track to see if it will eliminate some of the corners where you drop off the high cam for a sort period of time.

More to come as I get additional seat time over the next few weeks.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:06 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Vitt
Originally Posted by Driv300mph' timestamp='1343625852' post='21898365
I wonder how hard it would be for a welder to replicate this Magnaflow "twisty." Sounds like that may be the way to go.
I don't think the twisty is the way to go, and it will come off my car soon. While it does have good sound characteristics and a great torque curve, I don't think it makes as much power as the other mufflers I've tried (including the Q300). I am going to try another 3" design.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:07 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by pmptx
Ok, so first impression now that the Gernby midpipe is attached to an OEM set of mufflers (the one in the pic on top of the page) on my car.

Sound going through partial throttle from 2500-5000 is great (I am the last person to ask about an exhaust for sound-if it improves perormance, then I am in) I noticed the slightly deeper sound and like it.

The big improvement come with the fact you can use Flashpro to amend the VTEC engagement point since the exhaust removes a resonant dip around 5500. With the ability to produce more linear power the predicability and smothness as the cam flips is a ton better.

I am excited to get it back out on the track to see if it will eliminate some of the corners where you drop off the high cam for a sort period of time.

More to come as I get additional seat time over the next few weeks.
Thanks for the feedback!
Old 07-31-2012, 04:41 AM
Former Sponsor

Here are the before / after street dyno plots showing the OEM exhaust and OEM cat compared to the OEM mufflers and GernPipe. I had already done a full tune on Peter's car with the stock exhaust, and I retuned it after putting on the GernPipe, so both plots are "GernTuned".

Note that the torque numbers are just good guesses about what it was putting down. There were 2 of us in the car, and it was uber-hot. The real value of the plots is to see the shape of the curves and the delta between them.

Here are 4 pulls we did before swapping the exhaust.

Here is the average of those 4 pulls, and 3 new pulls after installing the GernPipe.

Here is the average of each.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sure this is due to the "street estimate" calculated by the program, but why do you think it reads a decrease in torque after 6-7K RPM?

Loving the 20TQ increase in the midrange!
Old 07-31-2012, 06:19 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Driv300mph
I'm sure this is due to the "street estimate" calculated by the program, but why do you think it reads a decrease in torque after 6-7K RPM?

Loving the 20TQ increase in the midrange!
The S2000 generally reaches peak torque at about 6500 RPMs, then it begins to decline. It does the same on a conventional dyno. For reference, here are the DynoJet plots I posted at the beginning of the thread.

Quick Reply: It looks fast too!