S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

It looks fast too!

Old 07-16-2012, 07:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by whiteflash
I take it you don't have a piece that simply replaces the OEM cat? Your piece must go all the way back to the axle?
yeah his product is an entire midpipe, not a test pipe
Old 07-16-2012, 07:55 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by whiteflash
I take it you don't have a piece that simply replaces the OEM cat? Your piece must go all the way back to the axle?
I tried many different designs to fit within the location of the OEM cat, but nothing panned out. The location for the OEM cat is totally wrong for performance. The funny thing is that even putting a small resonator in the place of the stock cat caused significant performance penalties. It turns out that catalytic converters and resonators have similar impacts on performance. Anyone who has a resonated test pipe needs to throw it in the garbage.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:37 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

haha yup, that looks about right, my q300 is pretty painful around 3.5k

I honestly think the bad rasp is due to it being new still though. Mine was like that, and looking on youtube, its the same with everyone's "first start up with q300" it sounds awful.

Did you test the gains with the q300 axle back? Same as stock or were there any differences?
Old 07-16-2012, 08:51 AM
Former Sponsor

I agree that the sound from a muffler does change as it breaks in, but I've tested 8 mufflers with my system, and none of them were raspy like this. I actually think it's more common for mufflers to get louder as they age, since they tend to blow the fiberglass packing out over time.

Old 07-16-2012, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Gernby
[ I also believe most people that have an EMS will either already have an aftermarket exhaust that they like or plan to get one. If there are 10-20 people like that in the world that also want to reduce drone and improve performance (legally), then there's no more reason to discuss it. For those people that have '06+ models and a FlashPro, I'll do a free eTune (I've perfected the process).
OK, you're on. I, for one, will be happy to adapt my home made exhaust (on my '08) to your mid-pipe. Your eTune addition makes it all work!

Thanks, John
Attached Thumbnails It looks fast too!-diy-exhaust.jpg  
Old 07-16-2012, 10:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I agree that the sound from a muffler does change as it breaks in, but I've tested 8 mufflers with my system, and none of them were raspy like this. I actually think it's more common for mufflers to get louder as they age, since they tend to blow the fiberglass packing out over time.
When I had my Q300, it produced ZERO rasp and no noticeable drone. That said, I've met another member with a q300 that sounded completely different from the one I previously owned. It was much louder and raspier. It sounded like a different exhaust altogether. I think it's important to note I ran mine with the stock cat.

My Berk 3" Single Exhaust noticeably quieted down over a period of about 2 weeks.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:30 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Johnx
Originally Posted by Gernby' timestamp='1342304231' post='21860174
[ I also believe most people that have an EMS will either already have an aftermarket exhaust that they like or plan to get one. If there are 10-20 people like that in the world that also want to reduce drone and improve performance (legally), then there's no more reason to discuss it. For those people that have '06+ models and a FlashPro, I'll do a free eTune (I've perfected the process).
OK, you're on. I, for one, will be happy to adapt my home made exhaust (on my '08) to your mid-pipe. Your eTune addition makes it all work!

Thanks, John
That looks like the nicest home made exhaust I've seen! Good job! What resonator did you use?
Old 07-16-2012, 01:32 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by blasphemy101
Originally Posted by Gernby' timestamp='1342457501' post='21863601
When I had my Q300, it produced ZERO rasp and no noticeable drone. That said, I've met another member with a q300 that sounded completely different from the one I previously owned. It was much louder and raspier. It sounded like a different exhaust altogether. I think it's important to note I ran mine with the stock cat.

My Berk 3" Single Exhaust noticeably quieted down over a period of about 2 weeks.
Everyone needs to specify what their exhausts are / were mated to when they are talking about drone or rasp. The exhaust is only half the equation. If you had no rasp with the stock cat, that wouldn't surprise me.
Old 07-16-2012, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Johnx' timestamp='1342464486' post='21864009
[quote name='Gernby' timestamp='1342304231' post='21860174']

Thanks, John
That looks like the nicest home made exhaust I've seen! Good job! What resonator did you use?
[/quote]
Right now I have a stock header, 63.5 mm Berk HFC, stock resonator section. I also have a home made CAI. Right now I am running the mugen tune supplied by Hondata.

I have seen the same pattern you have with the air/fuel ratios in the 3rd gear pull.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:22 PM

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

measuring sound with the top down seems silly to me.

drone only bothers me with the top up and its even worse with my hard top on.

Quick Reply: It looks fast too!