S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Linear Rate Coilovers

Old 10-14-2009, 11:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Linear Rate Coilovers

Hey guys,

I'm on the suspension hunt for the S. I have had different VWs on coils but this is my first Honda so I don't know all the quality choices available. I have done the searches and found good info. I feel the linear setups I have had compared to progressive were more sharp and immediate in response then the progressive based kits. The progressive kits were slightly softer for normal driving but I like the immediate feel of linear rate. I was ready to pull the trigger on either Bilstien PSS9 or H&R coilovers but understand they both use a progressive spring. Can anyone recommend a quality coilover that uses a monotube design for the dampers, has the extra fluid reservoir and also uses linear rate springs. I'm only looking to lower about an inch or so, more concerned with the handling. Thanks for any good advice. I'm trying to keep my budget to about 1500 bones give or take.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get the PSS9s. For street driving, they are awesome, don't worry about them not being linear. If it really bugs you, swap to linear springs, both use standard 60mm springs. bilsteins can be revalved here in the US too.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:16 PM

note we have linear springs from the factory. if you put a progressive one on there its gonna "dull" the car
Old 10-14-2009, 12:17 PM

Thanks for the post. Where are these linear springs you speak of? Are they made by Bilstien, eibach, H&R? I appreciate a point in the right direction but I'm def looking for a linear set up.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:20 PM

The Skunk 2 pro-c suspension looks good but I do not have any experience with Skunk 2. They have the monotube design and use a linear spring from what I have been able to gather. Are they a quality set up that will give years of good, reliable performance? Reliability is big for me which is why I was looking at Bilstien or HR at first. I have also had KW in the past and very happy with them but they too use a progressive spring unless you go clubsport wich is way outa my budget. Hmm maybe JIC? Please educate me.
Old 10-14-2009, 03:25 PM

Any 60mm springs will work fine.
Old 10-15-2009, 04:17 AM

BTW what do you mean by 60 mm springs? No offense but your vague comments are not helping, but confusing. Please be more specific and I'm sure there is more to it then just "60 mm springs"
Old 10-15-2009, 05:14 AM
Banned

I'm going to be looking at the KW3 clubsports. I'm coming from Suby's and the rule of thumb for suby's is that sub-$2000 coilovers are pretty much junk. When I had a honda before, we always ran Koni's with "Ground Control" sleeves on them. Cheap and you can pick your spring rates.

My Honda tracking buddies are still running on Koni's with the GC sleeves and springs. They're all linear.

http://www.ground-control-store.com/produc...hp/II=526/CA=76

I've had good luck with the KW's on the suby though and that's probably where I'm going again.
Old 10-15-2009, 05:36 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Research... You'll see that unless you spend 2500$+ the only upgrades are...

Koni yellow with springs of your choice.
Bilstein pss9

I'm looking for a good suspension setup too and that's what I found after 4 months of research.
Old 10-15-2009, 08:34 AM

Ok, I've owned 5 s2000s now, and tried practically every suspension under the moon, from Penske race shocks to Tein Flex and everything in between. The PSS9s are easily the best coilovers out there for driving on the street. They ride pretty much like stock and give you way more control.

If you'd actually bothered to do any research at all, you'd have realized that the s2000 PSS9s are in fact, linear rate 60mm ID springs. They use a tender spring, as most TUV approved coilovers do, since they must not have loose springs at full droop.

The PSS9s are not good for all cars, the E46 M3 application, in particular, sucks balls. The e90 335i application was not great either. The S2000 one, they nailed it. It's not an ideal track suspension, but it will work and is better than stock, but is certainly slower than my KW V3s or my JRZ singles. That said, the PSS9 ride way better.

I don't know why you think the PSS9 are not linear, if you look at the pictures, it's very obvious that they are not:

Anyone who knows anything about suspension knows that standard race springs are measured by inner diameter, length and spring rate. 60mm springs is a very useful comment, as it tells you that the PSS9s indeed use a very standard spring size. For driving on the street, there is no reason to spend $2500 on coilovers. For track use, the KW V3 are under $2k, and are fine on the track, until you get Real Fast.

Quick Reply: Linear Rate Coilovers