S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

K&N FIPK vs CT Icebox?

Old 09-08-2013, 01:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&N FIPK vs CT Icebox?

Between the FIPK or the CT Icebox, which provides the better overall power output (if any)? I hear good things about the FIPK, but some people say it is prone to heat soak. Good sound and some actual gains?

I don't know much about the icebox, other than it is discontinued now. My goals are not necessarily to have increased power, but for a nice overall sound (and not to lose any power if possible). I realize one is a short ram and one is a CAI, so there's also an issue of hydrolocking. I have an opportunity to get either at a similar price, so I'm just wondering if you guys have any suggestions for the best buy? thanks in advance.
Old 09-08-2013, 02:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use the FIPK and it totally relieved the heat bog I had. The car sounds great and the VTEC very raw on my AP1. Its hard for me to tell you the true sound after stock air box removal because I had a valve adjustment and the CAT removed and replaced with a test pipe the same day I installed the FIPK. So I don't know what the car sounds like with just the FIPK. But with a test pipe it sounds bad ass!! Performance wise its great and I def feel more throttle response and power. I would also service your IAC valve at the same time the correct way,. not the DIY here.
Old 09-08-2013, 02:12 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

CT would provide better power gains since its closed box and it acualky pulls cooler air from the headlight area.
Old 09-08-2013, 03:39 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

It doesn't really matter both are under the hood and will still get hot air from under the hood.. The difference between those two intakes is minimal.. So get which ever you think looks or sounds better..

I had a fipk and the heat bog killed it for me..
Old 09-09-2013, 02:42 AM

Received 451 Likes on 378 Posts

I went with the CT icebox because it's looks a lot better under the hood and seems a bit better protected against heatsoak.
Don't think it's discontinued, mine should ship out today
Old 09-09-2013, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by JDMpearlwhyteZ
It doesn't really matter both are under the hood and will still get hot air from under the hood.. The difference between those two intakes is minimal.. So get which ever you think looks or sounds better..

I had a fipk and the heat bog killed it for me..

did you notice a significant increase in heat bog with the fipk over the stock intake? even at stock, I can feel the engine shuddering on a hot day with A/C. i'm starting to realize that this might be an issue with having a 4 cylinder engine in general.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:22 AM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

had the fipk and the heat bog was a little too much for me during the summer months, I sold it two months after and went with the stock box. I do miss the sound though..
Old 09-09-2013, 05:50 AM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by spaceman_spiff
i'm starting to realize that this might be an issue with having a 4 cylinder engine in general.

This is correct. Every 4-cyl car I've ever owned has been like that to a degree.

That being said, I do not experience it much with my FIPK. It has to be 95+ outside with stop and go traffic.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My FIPK experiences heat bog when its 95+, as mentioned by Dreaming above. Even the stock box is going to experience that. Unless you have a CAI, most intakes will experience a bit of heat bog.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:21 PM

is FIPK compatible across AP1 and AP2?

Quick Reply: K&N FIPK vs CT Icebox?