S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

K&N FIPK vs. AEM CAI

Old 03-25-2013, 06:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&N FIPK vs. AEM CAI

I have an AEM V1 cold air intake on my 2001 S2000. For those of you who have owned or heard both, which is louder, the K&N FIPK or AEM V1/V2 CAI? Also, what sounds better in your opinion? I am looking to switch to the FIPK because of hydrolock worries. Thanks for any replies
Old 03-25-2013, 07:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive had both i currently have the fipk2 installed i like it sounds good... no weather issues no worries... just make sure you get a heat shield.... the CAI does make good power and sounds good
Old 03-25-2013, 07:08 PM

which is louder and what do you mean by get a heatshield for the fipk? Doesn't it come with one that's open on top?
Old 03-25-2013, 07:29 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have run both in the past and the raw sound of the AEM (V1&V2 in my case) can't be beat. That said I understand your hydrolock concerns. Never impressed withe K&N personally, sound nor power. I currently run a PWJDM. No sound but measurable gains on the Dynojet. Has it's quirks (i.e. fitment) but I have found my intake of choice.

Utah
Old 03-25-2013, 08:13 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I've had both as well, had the FiPK first then the AEM V2 currently.. I had the FiPK for about 6/8 months, basically from early fall to early summer then the heat soaking in traffic got on my nerves enough to make me go a different route..

To answer your question, I think the AEM is louder, but vtec engagement probably sounds louder on the K&N because its so much closer to the cabin.. I'm not sure why the sound makes that much of a difference to your decision, but I think the AEM has a better sound from the aluminum piping vs the plastic pipe on the FiPK..

Just my .02¢, get whichever one helps you sleep at night..
Old 03-26-2013, 10:33 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I ran k&n for a couple years then switched to the aem v2. I thought the aem was gonna be louder than the k&n because of the aluminum piping but I was shocked to discover it was the opposite. The k&n makes a really nice mean growl noise at wot and vtec switch is very prominent and noticeable. Aem doesn't sound as mean and vtec isn't as noticeable audibly. However I made more power on the aem and I like the look of the open engine bay.

For power I would go with aem, for sound I would go with k&n hands down, it is the best intake I've heard by far (including stock, prm, aem, k&n and pwjdm)
Old 03-26-2013, 12:59 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I loved the aem v2. But I had a lot of bad weather in my area so it was very sketchy at times. But for performance and sound I felt that the v2 is by far one of the best. 0 heat soak, amazing sound, and great power for an intake at the price.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:57 PM

ok seems like mixed opinions on the volume of the k&n vs. aem. I like a loud intake sound, that's why I ask. I'll have to hear a k&n in person. It's just so annoying to worry about hydrolocking when it's raining outside and I have my eyes peeled open for that next puddle.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:07 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The intake subject has been beaten to death.. Password intake is almost $1100.. K&N and AEM are under $300.

I don't care if the password intake is dipped in gold no measurable gain from an intake is worth that pricetag. At that point you are 1/4 on your way to a supercharger. (Utah S2k) this is not in response to your reply at all. I just think that people take what they read on a website such as K&N's or Password jdm and buy into it. In some cases you lose power with intakes, at least on the dyno. I know I did with my K&N.

If you are looking into pulling some power out of the car I'd start with a header and exhaust. If a clutch is your future at any point look at a lightweight flywheel to go along with it and to draw in some extra power lost through the heavier OEM flywheel. Theres ways to make measurable gains but I wouldn't expect more than different sound/ more or less heatsoak depending on what intake you actually get.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ayellows2k
ok seems like mixed opinions on the volume of the k&n vs. aem. I like a loud intake sound, that's why I ask. I'll have to hear a k&n in person. It's just so annoying to worry about hydrolocking when it's raining outside and I have my eyes peeled open for that next puddle.
You've made up your mind already. You wan the K&N0 no one is goign to give you a post about noise or power level that will make it worth it over the AEM
The following users liked this post:
F1_DNA (02-20-2018)

Quick Reply: K&N FIPK vs. AEM CAI