S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

k&n fipk vs ct-engineering intake

Old 02-01-2011, 12:16 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

k&n FTW i have seen many PROVEN dyno of stock s2k with fipk and they do make power not much but some.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:52 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

This back pressure myth needs to stop, the issue is about laminar or turbulent flow, get a pipe too big pushing too little through it and you no longer have laminar flow meaning velocity is slowed down aka more back pressure. So in effect if you increase your exhaust pipe size too much you get increased back pressure. Back pressure is bad and bigger is not always better
Old 02-01-2011, 06:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RAYZ-Ace,Jan 31 2011, 12:32 PM
Haha, you just linked me to a thread I participated in last year. It can be solved with dynamat and I used that solution for a long time, but I had two issues with my choice to use dynamat.

1. Seems stupid to pay money for light weight CF and then stick something as heavy as a sheet of dynamat on it.

2. Although it cures the buzz, it also muffles the intake sound.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by CBRdream21,Feb 1 2011, 07:51 PM
Haha, you just linked me to a thread I participated in last year. It can be solved with dynamat and I used that solution for a long time, but I had two issues with my choice to use dynamat.

1. Seems stupid to pay money for light weight CF and then stick something as heavy as a sheet of dynamat on it.

2. Although it cures the buzz, it also muffles the intake sound.
Woops, for some reason I got the impression that you still had the brapp sound. My bad. I dont think the dynamatt is necessary as it was rubbing along the piece that the hood prop sits. however, definately not going to take off the dynamatt off and test it.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SLracer,Feb 1 2011, 03:52 PM
This back pressure myth needs to stop, the issue is about laminar or turbulent flow, get a pipe too big pushing too little through it and you no longer have laminar flow meaning velocity is slowed down aka more back pressure. So in effect if you increase your exhaust pipe size too much you get increased back pressure. Back pressure is bad and bigger is not always better

So why would a 3" make power EVERYWHERE in the powerband then; even on a 1.6 liter? The fact that this happens, proves your theory wrong.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:33 AM

bigger isnt always better specially with n/a's in some occasion it is and im not typing because i read it on h-t or some other forum, im talking from personal experience of messing with hondas,dsm, mazdas since before i could drive....

ANYWAYS back to the subject!!

i just bought the k&n sooooo lets see what this is all about!
Old 02-02-2011, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by RAYZ-Ace,Feb 1 2011, 07:58 PM
Woops, for some reason I got the impression that you still had the brapp sound. My bad. I dont think the dynamatt is necessary as it was rubbing along the piece that the hood prop sits. however, definately not going to take off the dynamatt off and test it.
Yah, I thought that too. I did all the work to take the Dynamat off, and now I've done just about everything imaginable and still have the brap sound. The prop rod does make it worse, but is not the source of the noise. I tested it by removing the prop rod and the sound persists. I've gone nuts with foam tape, and rubber stripping. I can make it much better, but the only thing I've found to completely get rid of the brap sound is the Dynamat. I'm probably going to put it back on soon. I might try just doing and x of Dynamat on the inside this time to see if that will do it without the downs sides.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by CBRdream21,Feb 2 2011, 11:52 AM
Yah, I thought that too. I did all the work to take the Dynamat off, and now I've done just about everything imaginable and still have the brap sound. The prop rod does make it worse, but is not the source of the noise. I tested it by removing the prop rod and the sound persists. I've gone nuts with foam tape, and rubber stripping. I can make it much better, but the only thing I've found to completely get rid of the brap sound is the Dynamat. I'm probably going to put it back on soon. I might try just doing and x of Dynamat on the inside this time to see if that will do it without the downs sides.
hmm. Def keeping the Dynamat on. Ya i had to get rid of the hood prop but for me the final place it was rubbing was piece where the hood prop clips in. ONce i opened up that area on the lid it solved the problem.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:37 AM

both are great intakes
Old 02-03-2011, 10:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know nothing about performance but K&N customer service is incredible. I bought a used FIPK and found out it was missing some parts. I emailed K&N asking how much for the missing parts and they sent it for free!

Quick Reply: k&n fipk vs ct-engineering intake