S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

k&n fipk vs ct-engineering intake

Old 01-30-2011, 06:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default k&n fipk vs ct-engineering intake

Ok so ive been looking into an intake alternative to stock, i understand stock is very efficient but im looking for a little louder intake with better throttle response. Some extra ponies wouldnt hurt either. So i see that the fipk seems to be the forum favorite because of the sound and response you get from it, but im also curious about the ct intake specially since i know they make pretty good parts backed with heavy r&d. My only concern is that if i should get the ct instead it wont make as much power (i know an intake isnt going to make my s2k a skyline killer lol) but i want whatever is going to be the most beneficial.

I need some help fellas, anyone got a dyno sheet of a ct intake because it seems to be non-existant.

Thanks
Old 01-30-2011, 07:02 AM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a fipk on my ap2

One of my friends has a CT icebox on his ap1 (he had his first.. And I thought it was pretty audible until I got the fipk)

In comparison I doubt the numbers are that far off from each other.. In fact I'd be willing to bet they are damn near the same..

I like them both and was torn between the two for the longest.. But the fipk is definitley louder than the comptech (comptech has a resonator)

With that said.. You'll be happy with either one, and I am very pleased with my decision..
Old 01-30-2011, 07:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You won't notice a difference between the 2. I had an FIPK, but then switched to a PRM intake and the only difference I can tell is that the PRM is slightly louder. I didn't notice any performance differences or anything between these two, and the comptech will probably be the same.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:09 AM

Hmmm interesting, has anyone ran into some dynos done with a ct yet?
Old 01-30-2011, 09:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get whatever you think looks the best. Intakes don't really "do" anything. They might add a couple hp but it will have little impact on the performance of the vehicle in relation to what the average driver is getting out of their S.

I switched from a Fujita true CAI back to stock, very little to no difference in power. Pulling the spare tire and jack seemed to make a bigger gain that having an intake.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:46 AM

I have the CT and have ridden in cars with the FIPK many times. The sound is very similar, and any performance difference is not negligible. The Comptech looks better, but it's really hard to get rid of the braaap sound it makes from the sound resonating off the lid.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:46 PM

Cool, thanx for the insight fellas, i know the intake isnt gonna be the missing link in the cars perf but now that i know theyr pretty much the same im just gonna go the fipk route specially since i found a deal on google for 211.00 bnib shipped sweeeeeet
Old 01-30-2011, 11:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To see real gains, you'll need an EMS.

With my FIPK set-up, their's a noticeable increase in throttle response. The HP increase wasn't enough to register on my butt dyno though.

Another thing worth noting. Gernby has been doing A LOT of testing. He discovered that the OEM cat basically limit's any midrange gains from anything. His PWJDM intake didn't make any power with his OEM cat in place and he made very little power with a 70mm exhaust. Until he installed a test-pipe and made huge gains.
Old 01-31-2011, 05:14 AM

im personally not too keen on test pipes because imo n/a applications still need some back pressure to function without harm and the great state of Connecticut also does a visual and obd2 inspection for the catalytic converter when it comes down to emissions time
Old 01-31-2011, 05:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the t1r test pipe allows you to re install the oem cat surrond giving the look of a stock cat

with a proper working CEL fix, you won't have to worry abou a CEL either

Quick Reply: k&n fipk vs ct-engineering intake