S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

J's Racing Air Duct "Snorkel"

Old 04-15-2020, 10:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question J's Racing Air Duct "Snorkel"

Hi S2KI Community,

I'm interested in adding an aftermarket air duct to my 01 S2000. I have an OEM hood that I would prefer not to cut and the OEM airbox which I have gutted.
I know J's racing makes an air duct that works with the OEM hood. Has anyone made this mod on their car? Was it easy to install? would you recommend it?

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-15-2020, 02:11 PM

Received 148 Likes on 96 Posts

My buddy had it on their car. Its a thin piece, and honestly i would not expect anything more than a cool piece of kevlar under the hood.
Its a simple install, and does not touch the oem hood.
Old 04-15-2020, 03:29 PM

Received 95 Likes on 64 Posts

i used to have it and it still touches the hood slightly. There are usually 2 small wear marks that end up on the intake. it's mostly a cosmetic mod....since it's made to work with the oem hood, it narrows quite a bit at the radiator support, which probably means it isn't capable of feeding a lot of air into the engine..
Old 04-15-2020, 04:31 PM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

I had the J's racing snorkel that was made for the oem hood. It fit perfectly and never had any issues touching the hood, you can always adjust the hood if needed but mine fit fine. I don't know if they are still produced, I got mine as a used part in the for sale forum , they may be out of production.

I loved the snorkel on my car, the car ran more consistently throughout the day with a cooler air source, compared to the oem intake. I later changed to the Mugen intake, and despite the Mugen intake looking so nice the performance was similar to the J's racing snorkel, just much more expensive. I also drove my S2000 through a torrential rain storm on the highway for 2 hours, when I got home I was expecting some moisture in the oem air box, but it was bone dry. I was shocked that it didn't suck up any water despite the conditions. So IMO it provided a nice cold air source with some ram air effects at highway speeds, and it was still very safe against water, and maintains the simplicity of the oem air box. Great mod IMO, if you can find one.
Old 04-15-2020, 09:27 PM

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

If Js isn’t available Spoon makes a nearly identical snorkel.

https://www.evasivemotorsports.com/s...kaAgyLEALw_wcB
Old 04-16-2020, 07:38 AM

Received 148 Likes on 96 Posts

I do not think the Spoon requires cutting, but i did hear it does also rub
Old 04-16-2020, 07:54 AM
Banned
Member (Premium)Vendor - Emerging
Banned

Received 130 Likes on 113 Posts

Spoon one is designed for AP1 bumpers, you have to trim the plastic front grill on AP2 bumper, I think. Spoon and J's Racing duct is made to order, expect to wait 3 or more months for it.
Old 04-18-2020, 02:15 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
I had the J's racing snorkel that was made for the oem hood. It fit perfectly and never had any issues touching the hood, you can always adjust the hood if needed but mine fit fine. I don't know if they are still produced, I got mine as a used part in the for sale forum , they may be out of production.

I loved the snorkel on my car, the car ran more consistently throughout the day with a cooler air source, compared to the oem intake. I later changed to the Mugen intake, and despite the Mugen intake looking so nice the performance was similar to the J's racing snorkel, just much more expensive. I also drove my S2000 through a torrential rain storm on the highway for 2 hours, when I got home I was expecting some moisture in the oem air box, but it was bone dry. I was shocked that it didn't suck up any water despite the conditions. So IMO it provided a nice cold air source with some ram air effects at highway speeds, and it was still very safe against water, and maintains the simplicity of the oem air box. Great mod IMO, if you can find one.
Ive been wondering this since I have a J’s racing piece waiting to be installed. Did you actually remove the air dam entirely or did you cut it to work around the J’s intake?

i read that the spoon version actually came with a cut out template for the air dam but I could never find it. Did the J’s come with one at all? Also did you put anything under the snorkel to prevent it from rubbing against the support, like a buffer of some kind?