S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Jack?

Old 04-17-2014, 09:15 PM
BBR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jack?

I got 2 tons jack to change the exhaust and that's enough for s2000 weight?
I have a floor jack too and i don't know where i should put the jack under the car? If u guys have some pics it's gonna be better and help me a lots.

Thanks
Old 04-18-2014, 01:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please use jackstands on a level floor. Do not work under the car with just the jacks supporting the weight of the vehicle.
Old 04-18-2014, 05:35 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Also how about searching lol. Tons of threads on jacking points.
Get some stands, don't ever trust a jack.
Old 04-18-2014, 05:48 AM

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,086 Posts

There are a lot of threads on this forum on this topic. A little ssarching and you will find lots of info and pics.

Since you are going to be way under the car to do the exhaust, and car needs to be well off the ground, you need to be absolutely certain the car is well supported and stable. This is what I would do:

- find a solid, level surface to work on
- jack the car up from front center jack point behind engine
- place jack stands under the front rocker panel jack points, not full height yet, secure front onto stands
- remove front wheels, lay them under front of car, out of the way of exhaust work (extra protection if car slips off jack stands)
- jack rear front center jack point on rear diff
- place jack stands under rear rocker panel jack points. Secure rear onto stands at your working height
- remove rear wheels. Place under rear of car somewhere away from exhaust work (extra protection)
- go back to front and jack it up to your full working height, rest front onto stands securely
- rock car back and forth to make sure its rock solid
-lower jack and have it nearby
- have some nearby at all times you are under car, with a cell phone, that knows how to use jack
- be careful - keep in mind guys have died from their cars falling on them - guys with more experience than you - it only takes one moment of carelessness or one shortcut that you can normally get away with, until that one time you can't
Old 04-18-2014, 09:37 AM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

It's a reasonable question for someone new to the S2000. Yes he could have searched and found the answer, but there's nothing wrong with asking a simple question.

If I had just bought a Mustang and was about to place the car on jackstands, the first thing I would do is search or ask if there's a common place to jack from or a more suitable option.
Old 04-18-2014, 01:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Taking off the OEM exhaust and putting on the new one was fairly a simple task. The hardest part was taking the OEM exhaust off (shits heavy!) due to those rubber hangers, which are pretty tough.

I jacked up the passenger side and held the car with two jack stands and left the jack positioned for more safety assurance. Just remember to not jack up on locations not suitable for being jacked up. I've seen many owners screw up that middle portion on the side of the car because they thought it be a good place to jack it up lol.