S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Intake manifold fail

Old 04-06-2011, 08:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Intake manifold fail

Well, I had my valve cover and manifold chome plated - both look beautiful! But the manifold will not seal. Appentently the thin chrome cover on the mounting surface is uneven. don't know if anyone else tried this and/or if there is a work around. My tech reccomended using it as a paper weight after taking it to a performance machine shop to see if it could be resurfaced. The machinest reccomended finding someone with a CNC mill that would do the tooling necessary to hold the manifold while its milled. The tooling alone would cost an arm and a leg. Sigh, I depressed, but on a more positive note - the valve cover looks awesome.

Old 04-06-2011, 01:23 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Did you try installing a Hondata intake manifold gasket? I would expect it to conform well enough. Just make sure you follow marcucci's install procedure to make sure it lasts!
http://www.s2000.org/mods/insulator/

Old 04-06-2011, 08:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Should have had them not chrome the mounting surface. Try striping the chrome on that and use the Hondata IMG. Since its kinda soft it should form to the manifold
Old 04-07-2011, 08:53 AM

Palm sander. Just sand enough to remove the chrome.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:31 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ill trade you mine. Valve cover looks awesome by the way.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:39 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I would just take it to a machine shop and have them flatten out the surface on the intake manifold.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by gernby
Did you try installing a Hondata intake manifold gasket? I would expect it to conform well enough. Just make sure you follow marcucci's install procedure to make sure it lasts!
http://www.s2000.org/mods/insulator/
When I try again ( I will), I am installing the hondata gasket. the leak problem was in the coolant ducts through the intake manifold. Since hondata blocks the intake duct, it may help just doing that. It is a thicker gasket and compresses more, so it's wortha try.

Originally Posted by IAmTheRealAsif
Should have had them not chrome the mounting surface. Try striping the chrome on that and use the Hondata IMG. Since its kinda soft it should form to the manifold
I have an appointment with the chroming shop to discuss alternatives. I'm not really sure they can chrome it, with out getting some material on mounting surfaces. My research in the motorcycle/custom car world indicates there have been problems without specialty gaskets or sealers.

Originally Posted by -Jordan-
Palm sander. Just sand enough to remove the chrome.
Not reccomended. It is very doubtful an even mounting surface with less that ..002 inch difference fron front to back and top to bottom could be achieved with hand sanding. My performance shop and tech both reccomended against this approach with an aluminium manifold.

Originally Posted by Alloy Craft
Well, you will trade a stock intake that works for a chromed one that doesn't? I'm guessing you would like to try some custome mounting techique of your own. I,m all ears, if you have any ideas on materials or methods. Personally, after research, Permatex makes some sealant called the "Right Stuff" that will replace an OEM gasket. I suppose that would be worth a try as well.
Originally Posted by freezingcoffee
I would just take it to a machine shop and have them flatten out the surface on the intake manifold.
Read the original post - not cost effective!
If anyone else has had experience with any of the Permatex products, I am all ears, as that will likely be my option of last choice after Hondata.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Alloy Craft
thanks for the complement! As my engine bay now stands, I will be looking to "up scale" the engine bay from the current titanium to something a little more flashy. (I know, its a taste thing and I'm one of those old motor heads, so don't flame me). I have noticed with deep interest the work you have done on heatshields and cooling plates. I was wondering if you had thought about doing a beauty panel for the drivers side of the engine bay. something that would cover the brake/throttle cable and other hoses and tubing between the intake manifold and the fender, perhaps emulating the heat shield you make for the exhaust side. It's just an idea, and mayby not too practical (think show car), but something I would be interested in.