S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Installed SOS clutch and AP1 flywheel in MY06

Old 10-31-2010, 03:13 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Installed SOS clutch and AP1 flywheel in MY06

Background: bought an 06 S2K in August 09 with just under 13K miles(I now have 29K miles). It was a lease return from a person who lived in San Francisco (very hilly, murder on clutches). I experienced clutch slippage when shifting at redline and attempting quick launches. Removed CDV and still experienced clutch slippage.
After researching, I decided that I wanted to install an AP1 flywheel. I also read posts where AP1 owners complained that the newer OEM clutches did not seem to hold as well as their original clutches, so I purchased a Science of Speed sport clutch kit and, from The Hardtop guy, an AP1 flywheel and throw out bearing.
When I received my clutch, I was startled to read SOS instructions that cautioned that its design “results in a degree of shudder when engaged that can be felt mostly from a standing stop when engaging first and reverse gear.” Although I had read that people took a few days to adapt to the sport clutch, I had not read about a shudder upon engagement. Nor, did I see this caution on the SOS web site. When I picked up my car after the install, the mechanic cautioned me that the clutch exhibited a very mild case of chatter upon engagement that felt more like vibration than actual chatter.
My first drive with the new clutch was a nightmare. The clutch engaged with very little clutch pedal travel and the car leaped forward two feet. Thankfully, nothing was in front of me. I experienced major shudder trying to engage the clutch from a standing start with the car bucking and stalling as I tried to start smoothly. Once on the road, the car shifted smoothly and the clutch pedal pressure felt like OEM; just as advertised by SOS. With the AP1 flywheel, the engine seemed to be a little bit snappier, but not crazy loose.
After a week with the SOS clutch, I am finally able to engage the clutch smoothly from a standing start. The clutch engages within a very short pedal release distance while I must apply more gas than with my old clutch. This means that I move my left foot a little and my right foot moves a lot. After decades of driving a stick, I had to re-calibrate my feet. If and when I feel a slight buzz through the clutch pedal, I add more gas. I think I would have trouble selling the car to a newbie who was not familiar with performance clutches. The SOS clutch requires precise engagement coordination to be driven smoothly.
Although I have spent a lot of band width describing negatives, the SOS sport clutch with AP1 flywheel rocks. I can launch authoritively and quickly without wheel spin (VSA off) in a very smooth, quick motion. I can make quick, redline shifts and feel a kick in the seat as the car springs forward. (this I do sparingly because I do not want to replace my differential). The gear changes are made with a clean snick-snick(MT 90); although the 1 to 2 shift still catches on occasion. I still experience occasional shudder in slow speed parking maneuvers. But, I am perfecting my timing and coordination so I can manage the slow speed engagements.
T
Old 11-01-2010, 05:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get rid of the MT90 in that thing it is to thick that is why the 1,2 hangs up on you.
Old 11-01-2010, 06:36 AM

Well said ES2K. I just had a clutch install at Evasive with an ACT pressure plate, 8lb ACT flywheel and oem disc. I actually get less dramatic wheelspin with this setup. I weighed my oem flywheel at 20.6lbs. This one makes my car feel 200lbs lighter from a stop. It feels like it wants to take off. There is some shudder but its mild.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:18 AM

Just wait until you have to do a lot of stop and go traffic or get stuck on a hill behind a bunch of cars and have to move ahead one car at a time. I use my e-brake A LOT with my CC Iron man and the 8 lbs flywheel, it behaves pretty much as you describe it. You have to concentrate on every take off, if you get lazy or distracted you'll stall it. Great on the road but not so much fun in town.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:50 AM

I had an ACT stage 2 set up in my VW Jetta VR6... Performed just how you described.. But I got used to mine in about an hour (because I'm a pro of coarse) and absolutely loved it... HOWEVER!!! Yes, in traffic, Total PITA!

end of the day; I am still planning to do this same set up in my S. Slipping on take off and into second at Redline is the main reason some of these heavier cars are getting me light to light. ie; MazdaSpeed6, 370Z, etc. \

P.S. I recommend putting your CDV back in... Unless of coarse you think your smarter than a Honda Engineer who obviously put it there for a reason... Just sayin. The weak Pressure Plate is the reason our cars slip, the CDV will protect your Diff better than your left/right foot can.
Old 11-01-2010, 12:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want to try something else, go for a Centerfoce clutch kit (pp and their dual sided disk). It feels great and with zero chatter so far. I also put in the ACT flywheel and even with that low weight, I can shift extremely smoothly 1st,2nd, etc.

Not sure why Centerfoce is not more popular. I am extremely impressed.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:30 PM

Interesting review. Thanks for your insights. Do you feel the clutch is any easier to engage than OEM? I'm hoping this spring to upgrade my clutch, but I'll most likely need a softer clutch engagement due to being handicapped (I'm also researching alternative transmissions, but would stay with a stick if at all possible).
Old 11-01-2010, 03:17 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by JSWhaler,Nov 1 2010, 09:30 PM
Interesting review. Thanks for your insights. Do you feel the clutch is any easier to engage than OEM? I'm hoping this spring to upgrade my clutch, but I'll most likely need a softer clutch engagement due to being handicapped (I'm also researching alternative transmissions, but would stay with a stick if at all possible).
Do you feel the clutch is any easier to engage than OEM?
Force required to depress pedal is same as OEM. Engaging from a stop requires more precision than OEM in matching engine speed to release of clutch pedal. On the road, shifting gears feels a tad better than OEM.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by ES2K,Nov 1 2010, 03:17 PM
Force required to depress pedal is same as OEM. Engaging from a stop requires more precision than OEM in matching engine speed to release of clutch pedal. On the road, shifting gears feels a tad better than OEM.
+1

With OEM disc, ACT PP, ACT 8lb flywheel
Old 11-01-2010, 04:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SOS makes a good product

Quick Reply: Installed SOS clutch and AP1 flywheel in MY06