S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Install ITB's on engine swap Yes/No?

Old 01-15-2013, 11:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Install ITB's on engine swap Yes/No?

We are building an MGB for a customer and have swapped in an S2000 drivetrain. The plan has always been to keep the engine stock for ease of maintenance down the road. I have begun considering the idea of installing an ITB set up, mostly because it seems to simplify things and because it looks cool, honestly. I have a few questions for anyone who has done an S2000 engine swap and to anyone who has experience with ITB set ups. First, how complicated is it to get the completely stock motor working (wires & plumbing) vs. installing the engine with the ITB's? I ask because if it's going to take 40+ hours to get the stock engine all hooked up and 15 to hook up an engine with ITB's, which are potentially a better setup, the cost of installation justifies the cost of the kit. Second, how reliable, streetable, user friendly are ITB's on a car that is just meant to be a reliable sports car for someone who just wants to get in and drive, not tinker. Lastly, it seems most kits are available with most of the mechanical parts needed but no ECU. If we do decide to go that route, who's stand alone ECU should we use. Thanks in advance for your input.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:42 AM

stay stock
Old 01-15-2013, 12:52 PM

Received 416 Likes on 239 Posts

Wait. You want to install ITB's because you think it would be easier to get the car running?
Old 01-15-2013, 01:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gigdy
Wait. You want to install ITB's because you think it would be easier to get the car running?
Lol i hope not...
Old 01-15-2013, 01:48 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Itbs won't simplify anything...search it, you will need ems to replace the ecu along with tons of time to tune
Old 01-15-2013, 06:33 PM

nothing runs as good and as reliable as stock. ITB's are a headache.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:58 PM
Community Organizer

Received 554 Likes on 506 Posts

Yeah man your a lot further ahead sticking with what you have. ITB's are fussy to keep tuned and the cost to get up and running is going to be approaching 4k.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:14 PM

Thanks for your help. I was thinking ITB's would be easier to hook up than having to figure out all the wiring and emissions hook ups on the stock intake. Reliability is an absolute must though. I guess stock is the way to go.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah i will have to echo what everyone else has said.

Last spring i purchased what i thought was everything i needed for ITBs. With the intention of getting them on and running during summer.

It is now almost spring a whole year later and they are still sitting on my kitchen table. Mostly due to finding someone near me who has done them before and i can trust to get the car running. Also due to wanting to do cams at the same time.

Its def not a bolt on/tune and forget kind of thing.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:49 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ObsessivelyCarDriven
Thanks for your help. I was thinking ITB's would be easier to hook up than having to figure out all the wiring and emissions hook ups on the stock intake. Reliability is an absolute must though. I guess stock is the way to go.
Can't you just literally pluck the S2000 full swap (wiring harness, ECU, cluster, etc) and drop it in your other chassis?

That seems pretty straight forward to me?

Quick Reply: Install ITB's on engine swap Yes/No?