S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Info and DIY CAI intake theory/links?

Old 06-08-2009, 06:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Info and DIY CAI intake theory/links?

So I've been reading alot here and one of the number one issues i'm reading on against a pure metal intake is the heatsoak. Why couldn't someone just clamp a metal tube to the OEM plastic intake arm and go custom, aka allow a better location than some of the 300+$ intakes out there(wrap around radiator?).

Another idea I was debating was using an aftermarket cone-filter, clamp it to the stock plastic intake arm and then run hosing to the faux-foglight location with a shield right before the clamp on the arm.

Thoughts, ideas, links to good places to buy misc intake parts?

I really don't want to throw down cash for something that's just going to soak in the heat anyways.

I've seen some of the airbox mods as well, but I don't understand how someone hasn't figured out something that lines up with the rectangle on the stock box (vacuum cleaner regular recangle head w/ hose? Another though I had was simply cutting the inside bottom of the left side and prob 1/3 of the right side and putting a grill over that area as to only get bottom air inside the box.

As I understand it at autozone/advanced auto type places there are separate pieces that can literally be welded to make an intake (spectre or something?)

Any information or ideas are highly useful to me Looks not important (i can always hide it.)
Old 06-08-2009, 06:27 PM

i just bought a k&n FIPK off ebay for $230 shipped. proven gains from 5-10hp. minimal heat soak as well.
Old 06-08-2009, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by s2kVTAK,Jun 8 2009, 06:27 PM
i just bought a k&n FIPK off ebay for $230 shipped. proven gains from 5-10hp. minimal heat soak as well.
I'm curious as to where the intake actually ends up (i was debating doing the vented hood mod and it rains a lot here and I assume the K&N shield faces upward so it would hold in the water?)
Old 06-08-2009, 07:09 PM

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...0&#entry5061627

there are pics of it on that thread
Old 06-08-2009, 07:24 PM

Love that plastic tube. Is there any way to buy just that? that would rock with a ah.... 90 degree elbow pointing down to start off and a cover around it below the bend.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oem + snorkel = best performance for cheap

Old 06-08-2009, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by s2k aok,Jun 8 2009, 08:07 PM
oem + snorkel = best performance for cheap

I was even thinking about a stock airbox mod as a possibility if fitment was impossible for what I want. Check this out though, if you remove and gut the airbox, take out the 'inner snorkel tube' or whatever you want to call it, remove the normal outside snorkel, and place the inner one so that the "shaved" diagonal side is pointing left (if you're looking at the engine bay) It almost acts like a shield. I'm wondering if something can be connected to filter air up to that point from the passenger faux-fog-area. (if you didn't understand what i'm talking about I can provide pics. It really is almost a perfect fit and doubles as a heat shield.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:24 PM

^^ pics!
Old 06-09-2009, 09:18 PM

Sorry about the image quality

I took the tube from inside the stock airbox and am showing it put in place instead of the "vacuum head" style one already on there.

The idea is that you can addon to it on the side so that the entire air supply is
"colder" than the stock location.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:29 PM

could you close the hood with that?

Quick Reply: Info and DIY CAI intake theory/links?