S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

im done with drone, and BLAHHHH sounds

Old 02-11-2011, 10:00 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ive had:

Greddy TiC single - $450
J's FX70RR - $1400
Tracy Sports 70mm dual titanium - $3600

the least drone and quietest of the three is the tracy sports (shoot it better be, it costs almost triple the Js). the loudest was the Greddy. the Greddy has a redeeming factor in that its not loud in every part of the powerband. it has pockets where it quiets down (unfortunately not at freeway speeds). the J's is almost as loud, but its loud across the powerband + drone, since its a straight through headerback with no resonators.

local guys around here have (aka, ive sat in and heard) :
ASM 60mm single
ASM 70mm single
HKS hipower
HKS 75mm single
Invidias
megans (and other cheap stuff)
T1R sparrow
Apexi N1
APexi world sport
Fujitsubo

in terms of best tone with the least drone (whoa whoa imma poet who dunno it), for daily driving :
ASM exhausts > T1R = Tracysports > HKS (both) > Fuji > Apexi WS > all the rest are a far cry from these.

so yes, in my experience, the more money you shell out for the quality stuff, the less you'll be disappointed. stop listening to the "fanboys" who swear by this exhaust or that exhaust... if thats the only exhaust they've ever had. the Fujitsubo, HKS and Apexi WS are relatively cheap, so if you're on a budget, those would be great!
Old 02-11-2011, 10:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^
Old 02-11-2011, 12:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ya ive been listening for a good couple hours and im pretty set on hks....the single is more of what im looking for in sound but the dual is more of the look so im still undecided but again thanks guys! helped alot!
Old 02-11-2011, 12:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Doh I completely forgot to post the vids sorry.

Ohh, and HKS dual ftw!
Old 02-11-2011, 01:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

invidia v3 with berks hfc ...its very deep but its also very loud. drone is there but the hfc helped alot.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:38 PM

I just recently bought a 3" single Megan this past summer, i am NA and let me tell you what. I would never be able to drive it without the silencer and not get pulled over. Im guessing the cop would say something around these lines... "Are you deaf or just stupid?" No but i do love the sound and it was mainly wieght and price for me. It is tough driving through town at times i have to watch my rpms even with silencer, but after a while its 2nd nature. I have had quite a few loud exhausts on my past hondas. Right now I have the silencer in which really quieted it down compared to what it sounded like without it. I am thinking about just modifying the exhaust or silencer if i do get sick of it becuase i love the look and price was right.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by bnag0,Feb 11 2011, 02:38 PM
I just recently bought a 3" single Megan this past summer, i am NA and let me tell you what. I would never be able to drive it without the silencer and not get pulled over. Im guessing the cop would say something around these lines... "Are you deaf or just stupid?" No but i do love the sound and it was mainly wieght and price for me. It is tough driving through town at times i have to watch my rpms even with silencer, but after a while its 2nd nature. I have had quite a few loud exhausts on my past hondas. Right now I have the silencer in which really quieted it down compared to what it sounded like without it. I am thinking about just modifying the exhaust or silencer if i do get sick of it becuase i love the look and price was right.
As did i, i loved the attention and the sound. i havent been pulled over for my megan yet. but i have been numerous times with my other dual catback. I still love the sound of my megan, but im ready for a more sophisticated real exhaust sound instead of the mainstream tuner sound...and my gf falls asleep everytime we go on a cruise, she says the drone puts her to sleep....haha.

Dont get me wrong, its better than my ebay catback, even though the resonator bounced off the frame when i first put it on....pos. But i havent had a real exhaust to compare this to. Thats why i think ill just go HKS here this summer....plus, my philosophy with exhausts, if you buy the system and you have to put the silencer in, then why have it? I threw my silencer away the day the exhaust went on my car...it takes away from the sound to much for me to enjoy my S.

But now all the attention is on my purple lights....might have to change them soon.....

nahh i like them too much

[U]
Old 02-11-2011, 02:26 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the T1R-70mm EM and absolutely love it, its what the car should sound like stock in my opinion. There is little to no drone, very deep tone that is slightly louder than stock but far from obnoxious. They pop up in the FS section on occasion, I got mine off there for about 1/2 price
Old 02-11-2011, 03:40 PM

HKS Dual, no doubt.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm in the extreme minority I guess, I did not like the HKS dual, tried it and sold it after 200 miles. I had a bad drone at 4,000 RPM but it might be due to my gutted trunk.

Toda has a clean tone, almost like a bark and similar loudness to the HKS with a narrow drone zone, around 3,000 - 3,800 RPM.

Mugen has an aggressive growl, modest loudness and zero drone. If price is a concern, buy it used.

Quick Reply: im done with drone, and BLAHHHH sounds