S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

im done with drone, and BLAHHHH sounds

Old 02-11-2011, 06:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default im done with drone, and BLAHHHH sounds

So ive owned 2 different catbacks like the megan single and ebay dual catback exhaust and im slightly dissapointed. I know there both cheap exhausts but why would i spend 600$ on the invidia or skunk 2 when they look like they would sound exactly the same??? Im really starting to disslike them becasue they sound like an expenssive fart can muffler you can buy at a local muffler shop. Like, in the beginning, when i first owned the car i loved the loud sound but now i kinda want like a growl. But i want the car to still be loud, i just dont want that loud BWAHHHHHHH sound and the annoying drone.

Im just wondering if anyone knows of a loud growly, aggressive sounding exhaust instead of the loud fart can sound, if it even exsits?

If not, thanks guys!
Jim
Old 02-11-2011, 06:24 AM

Received 469 Likes on 400 Posts

Supersprint...
Old 02-11-2011, 06:27 AM

I can relate.

I guess I'm getting old, I just removed and sold my Invidia last week. Stock is awful quiet, but I couldn't stand the interior noise of the Invidia any longer!

I had a Thermal Research system on my 98 Integra Type R, loved that system! Slight growl and SO well built. Too bad Thermal has nothing for the S.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah you picked some pretty loud exhausts .

I would highly recommend the HKS hi-power dual if you don't care about adding much power. It sounds awesome with a test pipe, doesnt sound like a bumble bee, and it has absoluetly no drone on the highway. That is why I picked this exhaust. Also it is a decently loud exhaust when getting on it, but once you settle at a speed it all goes away. Plus the HKS dual is the best sounding exhaust out there . You can find very good condition ones in the classifieds here all the time for around $500, I got mine off here for $400 shipped last year.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:32 AM

hks dual... It's hard to fully appreciate this exhaust unless you drive it.

I don't really care how an exhaust sounds in just vtec... I care about the full driving experience.

Most loud exhaust sound like shit in half the rpm range and on low rpm decel (Yes I've owned a few of the popular ones for the S). I can't stand an exhaust where I have to shoot for a certain rpm range all the time for it to sound good. That being said the hks is crisp inside the car at ever rpm. No fart noise, no low rpm decel splatter, no drone (I do use a testpipe), stocklike sound when cruising. You can actually use 6th gear under 60mph and not sound like crap.

Lots of S owners that own loud exhausts on this site will always give props to their own exhaust only because they don't know any better and just go by youtube WOT vids lol... I know if they get the chance to drive a few of the tolerable exhausts they would realize the loud ones give you a shitty driving experience. It's really night and day.

That being said there are a few other nice subtle exhausts I'm sure will be recommended by others.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by suzuka-blue-s2k,Feb 11 2011, 10:30 AM
Yeah you picked some pretty loud exhausts .

I would highly recommend the HKS hi-power dual if you don't care about adding much power. It sounds awesome with a test pipe, doesnt sound like a bumble bee, and it has absoluetly no drone on the highway. That is why I picked this exhaust. Also it is a decently loud exhaust when getting on it, but once you settle at a speed it all goes away. Plus the HKS dual is the best sounding exhaust out there . You can find very good condition ones in the classifieds here all the time for around $500, I got mine off here for $400 shipped last year.
you beat me to it

Old 02-11-2011, 06:41 AM

how much money do you want to spend?

In principle, "cheap" and "quiet" is a oxymoron.

Quiet and refinate exhausts are expensive, brute and raw exhaust are cheap (in general). Or in other words.. its easy (cheap) to twist two pipes and form an exhaust, but its complex (expensive) to make it sound "right".
Old 02-11-2011, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by 07RioS2k,Feb 11 2011, 09:39 AM
you beat me to it

Ohh and I use to have an ebay dual catback so I know how you feel OP. I absolutely love my HKS dual and I daily drive mine, and drive 100 miles minimum on the highway every week.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:50 AM

I have a Greddy Ti-c single 70mm. I am very happy with the note. it gave it that... boxer engine like tone.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:55 AM

yea, when i bought my ebay catbacks i also bought an ebay TP so, i mean im not on the list for having quality parts. Ive herd good reviews on the Ebay thread on here and suprisingly even though there cheap, ive never had a problem with them, but i think its time to actually put something quality on my car....other than my spoiler lol

i know SS isnt cheap, and i might have to hear some sound clips of the HKS because i mean i want it to be quiet but not to quiet...i like the noise, just not the obnoxiousness..
Thanks guys!

Quick Reply: im done with drone, and BLAHHHH sounds