S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

IIGQ Concepts Hardtop

Old 03-09-2009, 08:33 AM
EOE

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

Tape FTW
Old 03-09-2009, 08:37 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by S2K 4 ME,Mar 9 2009, 09:59 AM
If you let the car sit in the sun for a couple hours the tape comes off quite easy. Only took me about 15 minutes to get mine off.

With tape

Without tape

I did mine last summer on a 90 degree+ day. Sat in the sun for a couple hours and then I started peeling. My finger tips were in pain from the heat but it came right off without leaving hradly any glue behind. Looks much better with the top down I think and if you have a matching color hard top it is a must! Guess they just made them black to match the soft top color.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow, i thought iigq was a good seller...
Old 03-09-2009, 12:56 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by s2k aok,Mar 9 2009, 04:53 PM
wow, i thought iigq was a good seller...
Old 03-09-2009, 05:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vinsfeld,Mar 9 2009, 06:46 AM
see how your outlin of the windshield is black as opposed to the color of your actual car? there is vynel (sp?) tape covering the outline, which is painted in your cars color. It takes a bit to get it off, took me about two hours, but once you peel it off it'll fit flush with a painted hardtop. It looks OK with a soft-top, so its all up to personal preference.

That's a picture of my AP2. I can now see the winshield tape that you fellas were talking about. It doesn't really look that bad does it? I actually think it flows better with my black soft top.
Old 03-09-2009, 05:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Leave the windshield tape on!

Top off, Windshield tape off, looks bad IMO.
Old 03-09-2009, 05:57 PM

back on topic. will oem side catchers and latches work with these mugen replica tops? and the other way around will the brackets made for these tops work with an oem top??
Old 03-09-2009, 10:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oem latches are the way to go if you are going to take it off &on alot. there expensive, but worth it. i have them on my mugen replica, they work well.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:21 AM

Hello,

Same story as you... My top got slashed one night when I stayed over at my GF house. So...I was in the market for a hardtop for a bit more increased security.

So.....I bought a top from Lamar AKA IGGQ4U and the transaction expierence was not good. He promised to come to Vegas and install it for me if I bought it from him, then changed his mind after I paid him, saying he had basically had a change of plans. It took a couple of months to get my top because of "availability." I almost asked for my money back at one point, but I was a little timid about doing so because I wasn't sure what would happen from there (such as more complications or total loss). His mounting hardware is complete garbage (very cheap materials). I have already had to change all of the molding to some other stuff I put together because of poor sealing (Def not worth the money I've seen it going for). I had to change the bolts that came with the kit to secure the brackets because they were too short. The latch on the left side that connects the top to the catcher would not sit flush with the top because the holes were not drilled symetrically. The glass he sent me came cracked twice and didn't even fit. He told me I would get my money back on the second piece of glass (I had to pay for) from his insurance. Then he told me they denied his claim so he couldn't pay me. I took the slightly cracked back glass I got the second time (Cracked and flaking on the edge) to a professional to have it installed and he laughed at the quality of the glass and gasket he sent me. Then proceeded to tell me that the glass did'nt even fit and that he would have to pile in as much glue as possible to get it to stay in. Basically had to cake it in to make it fit.

You should definately buy a real Mugen FRP top. After going through all the BS to get this thing installed properly I kind of had to laugh at myself for not doing it in the first place. This would probably be your best bet. I've had the top for over a year now and I just recently got it to finally fit so-so after taking a dremel tool to it and pieceing together my own install kit.

I know I'm missing a few other issues in here as well, but I think you've got the picture. I'm not sure what everyone eles expierence was like, but judging from PM's I've received in the past from other members in my situation and the few posts I see in this particualr thread, I see a pattern. I probably like many others after buying something like a hardtop that costs a couple of G's, really tried to convince myself that the investment I made was good and that the little problems along the way were just bumps in the road and normal. Looking back this attitude was embarassingly naieve of me. My top looks OK now after countless hours of taking it off and on, reinstalling various gaskets, applying enough shin-etsu grease to lubricate every S2000 ever made and make Ron Jeremy jealous, and trimming the edges so that I don't destroy my outer door moldings (like this top has done). Man just writing this post makes me think of more stuff. I think I'll stop now. Bottom line buy Mugen or OEM and you will have a much better 2009 !

On a cheerier note, if anyone is looking for a decent hard top molding set, go to Carparts.com. Search for "hardtop install kit," or just click the address below. This is a decent molding set for the area around the base of the hard top and the front edge area that meets the top of the wind shield frame. It's pretty cheap too. It's by no means perfect, but it is much better than what I had before. No more wind noise from the front or bottom seal. You will have to find window edge seals somewhere else though. If anyone knows a good place to purchase a thick gasket for the area around the windows please PM me. I would love to get rid of that noise. Thanks!

http://www.carparts.com/autoparts/Product/...oup?Ntt=hardtop

Good Luck Bro
Old 03-10-2009, 11:13 AM

I also had a bad transaction. I would agree the hardware he sell is junk. They also shipped me a defective rear glass window that was not cut right on the top, which split down the middle when was handled gently. Then had me( not him) file a claim with dhl saying it was cracked in shipment( which is sketchy for him to even say) about 7 weeks after i originally placed my order everything was solved. The side window seals are a complete joke. If I stuck a sock in my window it would seal better than his seals. The C-wings hardtop I am happy with it.

Quick Reply: IIGQ Concepts Hardtop