S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

I need expert help with my s2k....

Old 01-22-2011, 04:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need expert help with my s2k....

Video Links at bottom

I apologize in advance for the lengthiness of this description but I felt the need to be through in my description of the issues I am having.

First off I have an F20C engine in my S that has been Stroked with 89mm Pistons and Darton sleeves. (I do not believe that has anything to do with my issues but i am stating it just in case...).

I have driven the car after the build, it ran fantastic. Due to an unknown broken lower radiator hose, the hose came off on the interstate and I did not realize it was overheating, thus it blew a head gasket.

I tore the entire engine apart, had the head milled 5mm, I had the head pressure tested and it passed, i bought a new gasket.

NOW: I cleaned the entire engine from top to bottom removing everything accept the rotating assembly in my process. I reassembled the engine and on a COLD START it immediately began to smoke out the exhaust as if it had a blown head gasket. This does not make sense to me because the thermostat has to reach 180 or so degrees to even open and it did not get that hot.

I do know that the sleeves themselves had coolant in them before reassembling but i assumed that it was supposed to be there because of the flow pattern, if i'm wrong on this please let me know. I don't know what to do from here, so any advice on this matter would be great.

THE SECOND PROBLEM is that I can twist the throttle and once it reaches 3500 RPM's it will just bounce up and down in a ridiculous pattern. I believe the next problem may be related. The car will idle perfect as 2000 RPM's to spite this issue or the coolant burning out the exhaust.

THE THIRD PROBLEM I am having is that my s2000 will not even start if both of the sensors on the back of the Valve cover are plugged in (I believe they are called TDC1 and TDC2), I believe I broke one of them when reassembling the engine, and I plan on buying a new one as soon as I can. (DID NOT HAVE THIS ISSUE BEFORE BLOWN HEAD GASKET)

I am going to try to upload a video of the car running and make the issues as noticeable as possible later tonight/tomorrow for anyone who has any idea. (videos will be on youtube and I will re-post a link to it on this forum)

Videos:

In the first video: This is on a completely cold start, the radiator and engine were both drained after rebuild and the car did not get up to temperature for the thermostat to open

Youtube Video #1

In the second video: I am throttling up and it just stops at this point and beings bouncing back and forth, I am not doing any of this accept the initial throttle up, the throttle is in the exact same position.

Youtube Video #2

Any ideas anyone has that fit the symptoms would be really appreciated.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:01 AM

I have just uploaded the videos into the Youtube #1 and #2 links in the first post. Thanks. -Jarett
Old 01-23-2011, 04:05 PM

Well the car is def in limp mode thats why the idle stops at 3500.. You could still have some coolant in the system somewhere..radiator maybe. And the thermostat could be stuck open. I would have the entire cooling system flushed by a pro with a machine. I just dont think the smoke is thick enough white to suggest a full blown head gasket failure
Old 01-24-2011, 05:37 AM

How do you correct the engine being in Limp mode? And Even if there is still coolant in the system how is it getting into the combustion chamber? If i replaced the gasket and milled the head as well as had it pressure tested isnt the only other possibility that the block is warped?