S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

How to install: Deep dish steering wheel

Old 03-26-2010, 11:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to install: Deep dish steering wheel

I had a few questions on how the wheel was mounted so I did a little write up.

I wanted to keep the steering wheel in its OEM or shorter position (relative to the dash). Since the wheel has a deep dish (3") I had to do some improvising. Below are the options you can use to mount an aftermarket wheel to you car.

1) Short hub with a standard quick release. This allows you to keep your horn function and have a quick release. You will have to remove your SRS reel. This means the SRS light will stay on in the dash and the passenger side airbag will NOT fire in the case of a crash. When used with a normal steering wheel (no dish) it’s roughly the same length as OEM

2) Another way to do it is to buy an normal hub and thin quick release. This allows you to keep the horn function and the SRS reel. When an SRS resistor is used you wont have any SRS lights come on in the dashboard and the passenger side airbag will fire in the event of a crash. When used with a normal steering wheel (no dish) it’s roughly the same length as OEM

3) I used a short hub with a thin quick release. This worked perfect. I was able to keep the wheel at the OEM position even with the 3” deep dish. HOWEVER I had to remove the horn functions inside the short hub and thin quick release to get it all to fit together. This means I could NOT use of my horn and I had NO SRS reel.

NOTE: REMOVING THE AIRBAG IS UNSAFE, REMOVING THE SRS REEL IS UNSAFE, DISABLING THE HORN IS UNSAFE.

The 3ed option is for someone who really wants the deep dish look without loosing the OEM length. I never used the horn ( I think it sounds bad) and wasn’t concerned about the light in the dash. So that’s what I opted for. This option is not for everyone, I’m aware.
So if you want to use this wheel (or any deep dish wheel) with out losing the horn and SRS light. I would suggest you use option 2 at the cost of the steering wheel being approx 3” closer to you in the car.

If any info in here is inaccurate please tell me an i'll change the post.
Thanks for reading

Old 03-26-2010, 11:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does your horn work?
Old 03-26-2010, 12:11 PM

I change the wording around and NO the horn does not work wit this set up
Old 03-26-2010, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Freshjive,Mar 26 2010, 12:11 PM
I change the wording around and NO the horn does not work wit this set up
oh that's safe..
Old 03-26-2010, 12:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Usually tall guys like myself(6'2") like the wheel moved back so they can move the seat back as far as possible