S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Help Stage 3 clutch =(

Old 03-02-2013, 08:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Stage 3 clutch =(

So I can drive manual cars easy but damn stage 3 clutch is shit. Ive had this car for 2 days and its fun but damn i suck at shifting. 1st Gear stop and go kills me. Mostly every time I cant smoothly shift and the s2k shakes but then i put more gas and ease off clutch and im good to go. but when the car shakes my foot shakes and shakes even more because of it.

There is like a fine line between Sexy shift and oh crap you're stalling.
How I shift is big toe ball pressed down slightly and I can shift. Like less than an inch it feels like. Then I stop pressing my big toe ball. and good to go.

To give you an idea.
Black=Pedal
Green=Sexy shifting zone
Red=oh no your stalling.

Im having more problems with 1st gear.
If anyone drives a s2k with stage 3 clutch in it. Id appreciate some advice.

Thanks.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:32 PM

if its brand new itll be hard to drive. When i replaced my clutch it was extremely difficult to drive, it will become not as grippy when you break it in.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:45 PM

Did you put in a lighter flywheel too? I once tried to drive an AP1 with an 8 lb flywheel and it took me 4 tries to even get it out of the parking spot. Even then it felt like I was either stalling or doing a burnout.

The owner seemed to have an okay time getting the car moving 100% of the time, but it was by no means smooth. I think what you've got is mainly an issue with building new muscle memory and wearing in the new clutch.

If all else fails, try flushing your clutch fluid or polishing the slave cylinder pushrod.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a stage 4 from competition clutch put in last year. It definitely felt a little more "notchy" at first, but because the pedal feel was still somewhat soft it wasn't as bad as most would expect.

I have the same clutch in my civic with longer clutch pedal movement, It has a more on/off feel to it probably due to the longer gears.

I remember almost stalling the first time I got in the civic with the new clutch, after a few days it felt good, but it's almost impossible to have the factory s2000 clutch shifts every single time.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:55 PM

i have competition clutch stage 4/flywheel on a civic. pedal was stiff like a rock when 1st installed, after a long breaking in period it got softer but still stiff.

you just have to change your driving style as in reving higher when u take off so it doesn't shake. i drive mine daily in peak traffic and alot of up hills, so dont stress.lol
Old 03-08-2014, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by 4urmrs
i have competition clutch stage 4/flywheel on a civic. pedal was stiff like a rock when 1st installed, after a long breaking in period it got softer but still stiff.

you just have to change your driving style as in reving higher when u take off so it doesn't shake. i drive mine daily in peak traffic and alot of up hills, so dont stress.lol
Wow, I've been looking for the answer to the same question for the longest time. Mine came with a stage 3 clutch, and all of the cars I've owned are automatics. Thank you so much 4urmrs!
And to you too for asking smad!
Old 03-08-2014, 07:37 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Unless youre boosting a lot or doing a heavy amount of track and autocross events i dont see the need to run a pucked clutch. Especially unsprung. In my opinion if you need to run a pucked style clutch anyway you may as well run a twin disk.

Ive had many cars with puck style on/off clutches and im over it.

Alot of the guys have run the act pressure plate with an oem disk because of this. My self included. Slightly stiffer pedal feel with a lot more clamping force.

If you ever want to switch all you have to do is swap disks.