S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

hardtop rattles

Old 10-28-2008, 12:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hardtop rattles

ive done a ton of searching on this forum but came up with a lot of mixed answers. just got a hardtop and like everyone else, after a month it started to rattle a lot. when i latch on the hardtop it latches very easily almost like there is no tightness to it. so my questions are:

1. will buying new strikers for my ap2 (MY05) be any different? some say its the same beefier striker but some say it will still get rid of the rattling.
2. do i need shin-etsu grease? how will it help?
3. sometimes when it rattles in the back, it seems that the soft top or the soft top latches are rattling. has this happen to anyone? any solutions?
4. some say you need to adjust the side catchers? will this help? how do you do it?

that is all the questions i have. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance
Old 10-28-2008, 03:52 PM

Red face

I got a rattle once from my hardtop. I hadnt tightend the screws that hold the front latches to the hardtop good luck
Old 10-28-2008, 06:43 PM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

1. I'm not sure but they made a big difference on my 01. I can barely latch my convertible top now it's so tight.
2. It won't help with rattles, but should be used on rubber seals to keep them from drying out.
3. Never had this problem.
4. There are 3 bolts that hold them to the car. There is some play there so your can move the side catchers around a bit. For instance, if they are adjusted all the way down there is a possibility the back of the hardtop is contacting the trunk causing a rattle. You want them up high enough that they are supporting all the weight of the hardtop.

Even with the hardtop strikers it still didn't latch that tight in the front. I used some duct tape in between the striker and "hook" of the latch to pull it in tighter.
Old 10-29-2008, 03:51 PM

Do you have the OEM top or an aftermarket one? Can you determine the location of the buzzing?

1. If you hear buzzing from the front latch area, check if your current strikers are worn down. My original set of hard top strikers have worn a small dent in them causing vibration/buzzing, on even the tiniest bumps. A new set of strikers fixed this buzzing for me.

2. As above, use this on the rubber seals, front and back. I heard squeaking from the back of the hardtop before I did this. Clean up the seals and contact area first though. Excess grease will attract dirt.

3. Soft top frame will shift around and make noise. With the OEM hard top there are two metal pieces with rubber stoppers under the window. Take off the hardtop, set it on the ground and unbolt them. You'll need the leverage and probably not want dents on your trunk. And you don't want to break the glass when you're trying to bend it. The hard part is to figure out a way to bend them down, because they are really tough and an awkward shape. I think I ended up beating mine with a hammer and wood block, but I'm not going to suggest you do that. I didn't bend mine enough, got tired of trying to hammer it, so I've just learned to deal with the noise. I don't think the rubber stoppers are adjustable, otherwise that be a bit too easy.

4. Only the rear latches are adjustable. Loosen the rear latches, leave the fronts tight. Take off the side panels, loosen the set of three bolts on the side, adjust the height and front/back location, then tighten the bolts. The farther back you set the top (latches closer toward the front), the more tension there should be on the latches. Then loosen the set of 2 bolts, shift the top side to side if it's not even, tighten the bolts. Lock down the rear latches and you should be good. Well, something like that. There's a lot of trial and error when you mess with adjusting it. That said, my hardtop sits a bit towards one side, and I have never been able to get it much more centered than it started.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:09 PM

rattle means movement of point A to point B transferred from the car. It also means somethign lose. so tighten it.

I know its a stupid answer but you just gota strip it down and tighten it.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Mugen top started to rattle a little bit, and i removed one of the three spacers under both latches. Its now much better and its harder to latch (like it should be). try it, made mine better.
Old 10-31-2008, 03:48 PM

Loctite bolts.. best advice I can give you for the hardtop..oh that and foam insulation is your friend