S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Hard Dog Roll Bar Install/Drainage Question

Old 01-28-2016, 12:10 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Hard Dog Roll Bar Install/Drainage Question

OK, so I am finishing up the HD Roll Bar install on my AP1 (biggest surprise royal PITA car project I have yet to do) and have a concern about filling in the wheel well gap with Great Stuff foam insulation. What I've found is that when I cut away some of the excess hardened sealant, there appear to be air pockets exposed. While the air pockets will be mostly filled in by the couple coats of underbody spray coating, I'm still concerned about where the water goes IF there was to be any water that makes its way through the hole in the wheel well.

Does anyone know if that section of the car (the section directly in front of the rear wheel well) drains to the ground?

On a side note - if anyone is considering roll bar install with a convertible top, please be sure your weigh no more than say 170 pounds, are relatively in shape and do not suffer from arthritis. Even so, shop gloves and ibuprofen recommended.
Old 01-28-2016, 12:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is no surprise that it is a PITA. I did it and knew it would suck and it did. The hardest part, most time consuming part that you may not have started yet is trying to get all the plastic back in to make the car look half way decent.

Anyway not sure if it drains but I bought some thin cheap aluminum sheet at Lowes and made a patch, something like 4X6 inches, to go over the hole you cut in the wheel well. I attached it with rivets. I attached two rivets at the bottom and then pulled the patch back enough to spray the Great Stuff in there then riveted the rest. The Great Stuff expanded and oozed out of the patch edges. It took a good 24 hours for the great stuff to stop coming out. I am sure it is totally sealed. When hard I cut the excess off and sprayed it all with black undercoating. You cannot even tell a hole was cut.
Old 01-29-2016, 08:26 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DaGou
It is no surprise that it is a PITA. I did it and knew it would suck and it did. The hardest part, most time consuming part that you may not have started yet is trying to get all the plastic back in to make the car look half way decent.

Anyway not sure if it drains but I bought some thin cheap aluminum sheet at Lowes and made a patch, something like 4X6 inches, to go over the hole you cut in the wheel well. I attached it with rivets. I attached two rivets at the bottom and then pulled the patch back enough to spray the Great Stuff in there then riveted the rest. The Great Stuff expanded and oozed out of the patch edges. It took a good 24 hours for the great stuff to stop coming out. I am sure it is totally sealed. When hard I cut the excess off and sprayed it all with black undercoating. You cannot even tell a hole was cut.

Thanks much!