S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Hard Dog

Old 01-05-2011, 06:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why is it i see many pictures on the thread of people using the stock belts without the hoops? Are they just not being 100% safe? If the belt is attached to the bulkhead and not the hoops how do the hoops have anything to do with it. Im just trying to understand you fully. Thanks for all of the info so far youve been a big help!!
Old 01-05-2011, 07:35 PM

anyone?
Old 01-05-2011, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by S2KNFR,Jan 5 2011, 03:00 PM
I just received my Hard dog.
Mine is single bend (so it sits back further). I'm removing the bulkhead and hoops, but will build a custom removable tube to hold the oem retractors, but can take it out to go harness when I want too without bulkhead interference.
Stay tuned.

Subscribed. This is the exact bar that I want
Old 01-06-2011, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by bnag0,Jan 5 2011, 11:12 PM
Why is it i see many pictures on the thread of people using the stock belts without the hoops? Are they just not being 100% safe? If the belt is attached to the bulkhead and not the hoops how do the hoops have anything to do with it. Im just trying to understand you fully. Thanks for all of the info so far youve been a big help!!
Old 01-06-2011, 06:23 AM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

The hoops provide a very significant brace to the bulkhead.
I'm sure if you have a serious crash where there is crush and flex, you don't want the belts coming loose which may happen if the bulkhead deforms.
So, I'm building a custom mount for the retractors that will be welded to the bar. I'm not going to use race harnesses on the street in a street seat.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=bnag0,Jan 5 2011, 07:12 PM] Why is it i see many pictures on the thread of people using the stock belts without the hoops? Are they just not being 100% safe? If the belt is attached to the bulkhead and not the hoops how do the hoops have anything to do with it.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by chuhsi,Jan 5 2011, 09:29 PM
stock seat belts require the bulkhead and oem bars unless you weld the seat belts to some part of the bar. the bulkhead is not strong enough without the oem bar to hold down the seat belt.

i went through this same thought process. basically, your option is to run either harnesses or oem belts. Running both can't happen 100% safely.

because i didn't want to run two harnesses, i run a harness for the driver and oem belts for passenger. i have half a bulkhead and the oem hoop just on the passenger side.
So now i have 2 different opinions... Which one to go with?
Old 01-06-2011, 08:07 AM

My other question is, if i were to have just the base bar without any diagonals, would that be considered not safe?
Old 01-06-2011, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by bnag0,Jan 6 2011, 08:46 AM
So now i have 2 different opinions... Which one to go with?
Bulkhead without OEM Roll hoops should be totally fine to support the forces of the seatbelt. Even on Hard Dog's website, they say you can run the OEM seatbelt without the Roll Hoops, as long as you have the shoulder guide harnesses and the seatbelt mounted to it rather than the roll hoop.

I also do not think the OEM roll hoop add much strength to the whole assembly, in regards to the seatbelt. The roll hoop and bulk head attach to the same thing, which is the frame of the car. The bulkhead is plenty sturdy by itself, and in case of an accident, the only forces acting on the bulkhead from the seatbelt would be sideways (towards left and right sides of the car), no forward of backwards force would be caused by the seatbelt at all. I do not see how the oem roll hoops would add much more sideways rigidity/strength.

I could be wrong though.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by bnag0,Jan 6 2011, 09:07 AM
My other question is, if i were to have just the base bar without any diagonals, would that be considered not safe?
Are you going to be tracking the car? If I were you, I would definitely get 1 version of the diagonal, it adds an exponential amount of strength to the roll bar structure. I'm sure the hard dog bar without a diagonal is stronger than the OEM set up, but who knows. From my knowledge, the only bar which will meet all track specifications is the bar with the single diagonal (the double diagonal does not pass certain organizations regulations.) Of course, most of those regulations only apply if you're actually competitive in racing. For track days, either bar will be fine and should pass all safety regulations.

Quick Reply: Hard Dog