S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

GReddy Spectrum Elite Review (Dual Exhaust)

Old 02-05-2010, 08:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GReddy Spectrum Elite Review (Dual Exhaust)

Hey guys,

I've also ran into a problem about finding an exhaust that fit my needs. I spent over a year searching for an exhaust that was quiet yet throaty, dual exits with an OEM look, high quality, and with decent gain in power.

First I narrowed it down to these choices, but ultimately chose none of these:

Supersprint: TOO EXPENSIVE
HKS Hi-Power: Sounds good, but I didn't not like the Grapefruit "lawn chair" look
Fujitsubo Legalis R: Too quiet
APEX'i WorldSport 2: Ceramic coating FTL!
ASM T-Special Dual Exhaust: Too expensive

It wasn't until when Tommy from GoTuning introduced the GReddy Spectrum Elite to the S2Ki world and I was quickly interested. The exhaust sounded kind of bassy in the video when revving from a stop, but everything else about the exhaust made me finally decide to buy it.

I ordered the exhaust from GoTuning (kudos to both Tommy and Aaron for the customer service) and when it arrived, rest was history:

Review

I got excited and cut the packaging cord before I realized that I should probably take pics first

Aaron called me to explain that they were out of the GReddy SE exhausts with "GoTuning" etched on the muffler tips, but they had the regular branded versions. It wasn't a big deal for me so I didn't care, I just wanted the exhaust for everything else. Thanks again guys!

The build quality and the welds were extraordinary. What can I say? You definitely get what you pay for. The entire exhaust feels SOLID and the welds on the hangers look solid as well. You can also tell from the packaging that they paid extra attention to the wraps and foam padding to make sure the packaged would arrive to their customer without any damage. The price of the exhaust almost seem like a bargain.

The install was pretty straight forward. We had a hiccup with one of the exhaust gaskets because the gaskets come in three different styles but two of them were of a different size. Let me tell you one thing...the OEM exhaust was HEAVY and it's a complete ONE piece. The GReddy SE was noticeably lighter for a unit that is in three pieces. That was impressive for a stainless steel exhaust.

Sound

This is probably what most people want to hear about because S2K people like me want a refined sound for their S2000. Let me tell you guys...you will NOT be disappointed with the Spectrum Elite. This review was made after I drove the car for about 50 miles.

Cold Start: The exhaust burps alive like most aftermarket exhausts when you first start the ignition, but at cold idle, the exhaust is QUIET. It just hums like it's no big deal. When you blip the throttle up to 4000rpms, the exhaust gives a nice "dry" exhaust note. Think of a dual ASM 60mm exhaust and you'll understand. It sounds EXACTLY like that with a very faint bass note.

Cold Start 4000rpm-6000rpms: This is just awesome. The exhaust is definitely more noticeable, yet not loud at all. The bass note goes up only slightly, but it sounds fantastic as the revs just climb. ASM style sound again.

Driving: Yeah, you don't notice the sound at all unless you stab the throttle a little bit. You'll notice a slight increase in bass, but it's like driving with a stock exhaust on with a little more base. Now, this is just from the cabin...but outside, it sounds INCREDIBLE.

Outside Impressions: The car sort of has that Nissan VQ35 exhaust sound when you stab the throttle as you're driving...but that's where the comparison ends. It sounds like nothing I've heard at WOT as you shift at redline. The exhaust barks as you change gears like a proper sports car and burps as you heel-toe downshift as you slow down. This exhaust would sound amazing on the track because the way the exhaust reacts to every throttle input with a loud bark. It sounds incredible guys.

Overall, the exhaust sounds like the ASM 60mm Dual exhaust. It sounds dry, refined, and has that "it should have sounded like that from factory" exhaust note when you're cruising. If you painted the mufflers flat black and you had a competent car guy hear the exhaust, he would not be able to tell if it was aftermarket unless he looked at the burnt-tip muffler tips.

Hope this in-depth review helped and thank you for reading

Update

Video Clip recorded with my BlackBerry Bold 9700
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zkkLzesbXY [/media]
Old 02-05-2010, 09:01 AM

Can you fix your pics? Only one is showing up for me.

-Matt
Old 02-05-2010, 09:01 AM

Nevermind, they're all working.

_Matt
Old 02-05-2010, 09:11 AM

Thanks OP for the review, im on the fence right now with this exhaust and the T1R 70R-em. I jock the look of the greddy but like the sound of the t1r. I hate the limp d*ck look of the T1R but the performance gains def make me look past it. I dont want super noisy but want the performance as well. Was thinking either this exhaust with Berk HFC and J's header or the T1R not sure.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:16 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

exhaust looks great, i actually prefer the greddy logo etched on the tips rather than the gotuning logo
Old 02-05-2010, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by NightowlS2k,Feb 5 2010, 10:11 AM
Thanks OP for the review, im on the fence right now with this exhaust and the T1R 70R-em. I jock the look of the greddy but like the sound of the t1r. I hate the limp d*ck look of the T1R but the performance gains def make me look past it. I dont want super noisy but want the performance as well. Was thinking either this exhaust with Berk HFC and J's header or the T1R not sure.
the T1R is definitely louder but I just hate the dolphin dick look on it.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The exhaust tip looks very nice. I'm in for some vids if you don't mind.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:35 AM

should get video clips so we can hear the sound
Old 02-05-2010, 09:55 AM

thnx for the nice review
Old 02-05-2010, 10:06 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

SOUND CLIP please

Quick Reply: GReddy Spectrum Elite Review (Dual Exhaust)