S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

GReddy SE Dual with Berk 70mm HFC or Test Pipe?

Old 03-25-2013, 01:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hfc chiming in.

yeah... 3-4k it drones a lot. It's an exhaust. At least it sounds good when its loud, I suppose. I doubt a TP would change much. It would still be loud.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Moddiction
It makes it louder but reduces drone. The SE dual has quite a bit of drone imo. I've been thinking of going back to stock but I'll see.

Love the look and sound of it but for that expensive of an exhaust it should have less drone I think. In addition in less than a year all piping was covered in rust except for mufflers and tips. Crap stainless steel used by greddy. The invidia test pipe I installed at the same time still looks like new.
Same here. love the way it looks, but hate the way it drone on the highway. I agree for a such expensive exhaust, it should sounded better! I've had mines for 500miles and it still looks great!

Thanks everyone! looks like the Test pipe won't make a huge difference, so I'm just going to stick with the Berk 70mm HFC!
Old 03-25-2013, 06:07 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by VilleS2K
Originally Posted by Moddiction' timestamp='1364213692' post='22426360
It makes it louder but reduces drone. The SE dual has quite a bit of drone imo. I've been thinking of going back to stock but I'll see.

Love the look and sound of it but for that expensive of an exhaust it should have less drone I think. In addition in less than a year all piping was covered in rust except for mufflers and tips. Crap stainless steel used by greddy. The invidia test pipe I installed at the same time still looks like new.
I've had my SE Dual for over two years and 14,000 miles, and it's spotless... no rust anywhere.
Have you driven in inclement weather at all?

I did 1 winter with mine and drove it in rain all the time. Might have some exhausts with better materials idk. I do knos on mine I got crap quality stainless steel.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:25 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Moddiction
Originally Posted by VilleS2K' timestamp='1364219545' post='22426512
[quote name='Moddiction' timestamp='1364213692' post='22426360']

I've had my SE Dual for over two years and 14,000 miles, and it's spotless... no rust anywhere.

I did 1 winter with mine and drove it in rain all the time. Might have some exhausts with better materials idk. I do knos on mine I got crap quality stainless steel.
[/quote]

Just rain here and there... my car hasn't been anywhere other than Florida since I installed the exhaust. And I don't live that close to the beach either, so there's not even salt in the air. I suppose that could be the difference.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:28 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by !@#$%
hfc chiming in.

yeah... 3-4k it drones a lot. It's an exhaust. At least it sounds good when its loud, I suppose. I doubt a TP would change much. It would still be loud.
Berk testpipe owner here. Mine drones in this same area as well.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:41 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by VilleS2K
Originally Posted by Moddiction' timestamp='1364263646' post='22428339
[quote name='VilleS2K' timestamp='1364219545' post='22426512']
[quote name='Moddiction' timestamp='1364213692' post='22426360']

[/quote]

Just rain here and there... my car hasn't been anywhere other than Florida since I installed the exhaust. And I don't live that close to the beach either, so there's not even salt in the air. I suppose that could be the difference.
[/quote]

Yeah that's definitely the difference there. Some of the exhausts might have better stainless than others as Gotuning said there will some inconsistencies in the materials.
Even low grade stainless wouldn't really rust in those conditions I wouldn't think.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:43 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I remember just having the stock cat paired with the SE duals and it was terrible. Drone was certainly unbearable.

During that time of having the SE duals w/ stock cat, I decided to take a spin in a local memebers car with SE duals and Berk 70mm test pipe and it was much better toned down the drone a good bit. I knew just from driving through the first 3 gears in the 3-4k range it was a huge improvement. Just then I was ready to call berk to place my order for the test pipe.

With the 70mm test pipe it's bearable. Yes, still drones but, not as intense and brain scrambling. It's actually a pretty quiet exhaust now. Some say it gets loud, quiet, and back to loud.

Agree with one member said previously: For the price it should be better but, it is still a good exhaust. To me at least...
Old 03-26-2013, 08:45 AM
Former Sponsor

With my hardtop the drone is pretty bad! I'm also sc'd with I think makes it worse as well as having the rear tray removed which allows much more drone and noise in I'd imagine.

I want to attach a big resonator inline or something. The best it has ever sounded from inside was when i was sick and my ears were clogged lol. Sounded perfect at that volume. Then I got better and was back to being too loud for regular driving.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:10 AM

Received 193 Likes on 119 Posts

I have had my Greddy SE Dual with Invidia 70mm TP for almost 4 years now. Yes it drones at certain rpms but just about every S2000 exhaust does. The easy fix, if you know where it drones, dont continue to sit and drive the car at those rpms. Its not that hard to downshift and move yourself out of the drone zone! Drone really does not bother me as I have adapted my driving and I almost never cruise at 3-4k. Yes there are times its unavoidable in traffic and on long trips it can be annoying, but again, downshift and problem solved! The s2000 loves to rev so cruising around at 3400rpm is not what the car wants
Old 03-26-2013, 10:24 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

With the Berk 70mm, *I* Personally felt it took away about 95% of the drone. I love the way it sounds with the TP.

Quick Reply: GReddy SE Dual with Berk 70mm HFC or Test Pipe?