S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

front strut bar

Old 05-06-2012, 09:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by S2KIrishman
Originally Posted by gernby' timestamp='1336249575' post='21672444
[quote name='StormTroopinAP2' timestamp='1336237586' post='21672127']
relevant username

LOL ... I agree.

S2000's have shocks, not struts. There's no need for a shock tower bar, and you would only need a new sway bar if you have some specific change you want to make in the handling of your car (ie. more or less over steer).

you meant they have struts not shocks, right? because they dont have shocks
[/quote]

Old 05-06-2012, 09:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very serious...i can only assume that theres some kind of term variation from region to region...ive been an automotive technician for the last decade of my life and in all my years a strut incorporates the spring as a shock does not...never been corrected and every tech ive ever worked with explains it the same way...i dont know, but even calling parts stores for parts, they use the same definition...must be an east coast thing...regardless, i guess it really doesnt matter what you call it

EDIT: just looked in my service manual and although it refers to it as just a damper, it does say to use a strut spring compressor for replacement...if s2000's had shocks and they were called shocks, wouldnt you have to use a shock spring compressor? im just saying, not trying to argue on the internet...like i said, doesnt really matter what you call it, people usually know what component is being talked about
Old 05-06-2012, 10:38 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Google:

A shock absorber or coil-over-shox is a unit in which spring & bump stopper are arranged concentric (rather coaxial) with the damper to save space required for separate installation of each.
A strut is a coil-over-shox with additional degrees of freedom for steering the wheel (provided by a bearing which partially replaces a ball joint) and articulation of the wheel (provided by the top mount which doubles in as the upper wishbone / control arm).
A strut is thus, a combination of a number of suspension components viz. spring, damper, bump stopper, upper control arm and probably one ball joint.
A strut and a coil-over-shox are not interchangable. If you put a simple coil-over-shox in place of strut, you won't be able to steer the vehicle and if you do otherwise, the directional stability will be lost. A strut is usually used in front suspension and a coil-over-shox is generally a part of rear suspension.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by drkphnx
Is that your car in the sig? you have all those mods and you don't know the difference between a strut bar, a sway bar and shocks? or even know that the S2K doesn't have struts and you let some mechanic inspect your car that doesn't know either? WOW
lol nah its gonna look like that later though. and yeaa i didnt know s2k dont have struts lol. sad..
Old 05-06-2012, 11:42 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by S2KIrishman
very serious...i can only assume that theres some kind of term variation from region to region...ive been an automotive technician for the last decade of my life and in all my years a strut incorporates the spring as a shock does not...never been corrected and every tech ive ever worked with explains it the same way...i dont know, but even calling parts stores for parts, they use the same definition...must be an east coast thing...regardless, i guess it really doesnt matter what you call it

EDIT: just looked in my service manual and although it refers to it as just a damper, it does say to use a strut spring compressor for replacement...if s2000's had shocks and they were called shocks, wouldnt you have to use a shock spring compressor? im just saying, not trying to argue on the internet...like i said, doesnt really matter what you call it, people usually know what component is being talked about

a Dampner can be referred to both a shock and a strut, its a generic term for anything that absorbs shock.

And now it shouldn't vary from region to region because a strut and a shock both function in a in a similar way but are designed different. Only reason it can be "seen" as a strut is because yes the shock is mounted within the spring so its almost like a strut but again a strut replaces other suspension parts a shock only system doesn't.

Strut is/can be used as a part of the alignment, absorb shock from the side loads, usually replaces the upper control arm, and is a pivot point for the steering system usually.

S2000's still have a upper control arm thats connected to the hub, so if u remove the shock assembly it won't collapse on it self like removing a strut assembly would since its acting like a upper arm for the whole suspension, its basically a structural. Good example is a RSX has a Strut assembly.

S2000 suspension - http://www.arpem.com/coches/coches/h...uspension5.jpg (full upper arm, steering is attached to hub itself same with upper arm.)

RSX full Strut suspension - http://image.modified.com/f/17355082...Brake_View.jpg (steering rack is attached to strut, strut is attached to hub, no upper arm to absorb lateral loads since a strut can absorb it unlike a shock. strut is a integral part of a suspension)
Old 05-07-2012, 05:57 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

The difference between a strut and shock actually has nothing to do with the spring.

I like the way Monroe describes the difference in their FAQ:

What is the difference between shock absorbers and struts?Struts and shocks are very similar in function, but very different in design. The job of both is to control excessive spring motion; however, struts are also a structural component of the suspension. Struts can take the place of two or three conventional suspension components and are often used as a pivot point for steering and to adjust the position of the wheels for alignment purposes.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:21 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In Soviet Russia car drives you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_mMKgc5snc