S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Front brake ducts done differently?

Old 12-09-2008 | 11:37 AM

Yeah, Laguna Seca is puting a beating on the brakes. I either have a problem with my braking system, or need cooling. I melted the dust seals out of the calipers last time I was there with Carbotech AX6 pads.

And for the record, I'm not riding the brakes...
Old 12-09-2008 | 12:03 PM

Brave man running a lease at Laguna Seca.
Old 12-09-2008 | 01:38 PM

what difference does it make whether it's a lease or buy.. in the end if you crash it on the track you end up paying for it anyways since insurance doesn't cover it.

lease or buy it's the same thing.
Old 12-09-2008 | 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by devilchrist,Dec 9 2008, 02:38 PM
what difference does it make whether it's a lease or buy.. in the end if you crash it on the track you end up paying for it anyways since insurance doesn't cover it.

lease or buy it's the same thing.
Not really. He's worried about cutting ducts into the front bumper, but he doesn't seem worried about the abuse the car is going to take on the track. Hell, I only autox'd my car this weekend and ended up with 4 cone marks, a pulled fender, and a CEL. I say the chances of a dealership noticing brake ducts is less likely than them noticing damage from tracking the car.
Old 12-09-2008 | 02:38 PM

I appreciate the feedback, but bust looking for an answer to my question, not a critique of where/how/what I drive.
Old 12-09-2008 | 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by motocrossmann,Dec 9 2008, 03:38 PM
I appreciate the feedback, but bust looking for an answer to my question, not a critique of where/how/what I drive.
Okay you want an answer.

No, it's a terrible design. I doubt it will move enough air to make a difference. There must be some sort of "scoop" to divert air to the brake. Hold a paper towel roll at the base and blow across the top of it. Tell me how much air movement you feel at the bottom. Now blow directly into it. Get the point?
Old 12-10-2008 | 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by motocrossmann,Dec 9 2008, 12:37 PM
Yeah, Laguna Seca is puting a beating on the brakes. I either have a problem with my braking system, or need cooling. I melted the dust seals out of the calipers last time I was there with Carbotech AX6 pads.

And for the record, I'm not riding the brakes...
You got other issues then. Myself and many other people I know have tracked Laguna without ducts without any issues.
Old 12-10-2008 | 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Voodoo_S2K,Dec 10 2008, 07:54 PM
You got other issues then. Myself and many other people I know have tracked Laguna without ducts without any issues.

You may think that you're not riding the brakes, but you really need to be braking later and harder. If your ass isn't lifting off the seat when you brake, then you're not braking hard enough! I wish I had a chance to run a great track like Laguna Seca. Just too far of a hike from New Orleans!
Old 12-10-2008 | 09:13 PM

you could run 2 ugly hoses via the front grill then kinda just zip tie em in place ... but thats kinda ugly.. gets the job done tho.
Old 12-11-2008 | 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by S2Kage,Dec 10 2008, 10:13 PM
you could run 2 ugly hoses via the front grill then kinda just zip tie em in place ... but thats kinda ugly.. gets the job done tho.
This is the quick and dirty fix, and the pcar guys do it.

To the doubter, do a 30 sec google search on NACA ducts. They are engineered, and will work, because...they are designed by an actual engineer...But the cost to fab that out is reasonably high.

If you are melting the seals, something really bad is happening. Use use the AX6 too and nothing is happening at all, and I brake like an autocrosser. My advice: have a pro ride with you for a couple of laps and watch you. Get some brake temp paint and use on both the front and rear calipers. Cut the brake shield off.

I'd be more concerned about roasting the rear bearing, that is the failure point under sustained heat in our car.

Quick Reply: Front brake ducts done differently?