S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Forbidden-USA OEM Style Hard Top

Old 04-18-2012, 08:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by deepbluejh
Originally Posted by Feezy' timestamp='1334763506' post='21619658
I think this top is a cool idea and if the price remains on track it will be a huge success, but I think you're greatly overestimating the impact that this will have on the authentic OEM tops value.
It will drastically reduce the demand for the authentic OEM top, that's for sure. That will in turn lower prices. There are still people out there who will shell out $3500 for one, but their numbers will be far fewer.
$3000-3500 for oem hardtop is a joke. why not buy challenge CF hardtop for a little bit more.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:26 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think this top is a cool idea and if the price remains on track it will be a huge success, but I think you're greatly overestimating the impact that this will have on the authentic OEM tops value.
It will drastically reduce the demand for the authentic OEM top, that's for sure. That will in turn lower prices. There are still people out there who will shell out $3500 for one, but their numbers will be far fewer.
Maybe, but it could go either way. There will alwayts be something (a price to pay) for original and OEM.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by Feezy
That's not exactly accurate. The authentic Mugen tops continue to demand a premium price because the people who are in the market for the authentic top are not the same people who are in the market for replica tops. The same will apply to the OEM tops, only they are becoming harder and harder to find and unlike the Mugens you can not easily order a new one.

I agree with you. The OEM hardtop will continue to remain a very desirable item and certain people will be willing to pay a premium for one.

One of the reasons I am considering the OE-Replica is so I do not have to worry about theft or damage of my OEM top. I can just use the Forbidden-USA top on a daily basis, keep my OEM top in storage, and put my car on a diet at the same time.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:31 AM

Received 322 Likes on 171 Posts

As I said, just like with every other authentic item the people who are in the market for the real deal are not the same people who are in the market for the replica. It's an apples to oranges comparison. If this top came with everything that the OEM did then yes, you might be right, but it doesn't. Look at the Mugen tops. The authentic still carry a large price tag even though the market is flooded with replicas. The number of guys who will shell out $3,500 for an OEM top will be the exact same after this is released as it is now.

It doesn't matter. I wasn't trying to start this debate in this guy's thread. It looks like a cool product and hopefully the quality and fitment is good. If it is I can see myself picking up one of these should I manage to get my hands on another S2000 that needs a hard top.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:33 AM

Received 322 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by riegerm3
One of the reasons I am considering the OE-Replica is so I do not have to worry about theft or damage of my OEM top. I can just use the Forbidden-USA top on a daily basis, keep my OEM top in storage, and put my car on a diet at the same time.
That is also my train of thought.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:15 AM

3k+ for a genuine oem top WITHOUT the oem catchers and defrost harness? that's a little overkill. stuff like that makes me say "F*CK real parts!" sometimes "looking" cool is just as good as "being" cool, nahmeen?
Old 04-18-2012, 12:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BIGBala
3k+ for a genuine oem top WITHOUT the oem catchers and defrost harness? that's a little overkill. stuff like that makes me say "F*CK real parts!" sometimes "looking" cool is just as good as "being" cool, nahmeen?
Considering they were, what $4k new? And that they're not made anymore the prices of the OEM top aren't that ridiculous.

But, that's not really the point of this thread.

Old 04-18-2012, 03:12 PM

how much are we looking at without any hardware?
Old 04-18-2012, 04:37 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CLEANs2000
how much are we looking at without any hardware?
Final prices will be up soon.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:56 PM

What is your success rate with painting Rio yellow and matching ?

Quick Reply: Forbidden-USA OEM Style Hard Top