S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Forbidden USA hardtop issues

Old 06-15-2012, 03:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Forbidden USA hardtop issues

Hey there guys, I just wanted to get some input on your experience with Forbidden USA or other mugen replica hardtops. First and foremost it squeeks and rattles like crazy and because its fiberglass they are very loud squeeks. I followed some tips I saw and lubed up all the seals with shin etsu silicon grease and other types of silicon but it seems to have not helped at all. The squeeks seem to be only at the back right by where the rear brackets are. Could the noise be from the brackets themselves rubbing on the hardtop?

Also I've been having a lot of issues with air and water leaks right by where the side window seal's come down to the door. Water seems to find it ways in and there are quite a few air leaks so I've been trying to do some work with some black silicon caulking but I feel like a shouldn't be having these issues at all.

I've always heard good reviews about these hardtop and their hardware/seals so any advice I could get would be greatly appreciated

thanks
Jeff
Old 06-15-2012, 04:33 AM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

What hardware kit are you using and how did you install the hardtop? Did you use a ratchet strap to pull the ht down before tightening the bolts?
Old 06-15-2012, 07:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a Forbidden top and am very happy with it. What seals are you using in the back. If it's the thin one thats ribbed that came with the top, toss it...its crap. I went to Home Depot and bought a roll of camper seal(you can get either the white one or the thinker dark gray one). Just make sure you get the wider one. The noise you are hearing is the top rubbing on the vinyl strip.

Camper seal

Where are you getting wind noise? The front top section where the top meets the windshield? If so then you can add shims or washers on the strikers to which will lower the HT when you Hook on the latches to the strikers. You can also add some of the camper seal on the HT where it meets the Windshield to eliminate the gap/wind noise. Good Luck.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:27 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

some of our front hardware brackets will probably get rid of most of the rattling you are getting. im assuming its due to your soft top latches. we use these on our hardtops all the time and rarely have any issues.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:04 PM

Hey guys thanks for the response. I've already got the Rockstar Garage front brackets but the issue for leaks isn't the front top seal, its the back edge of the window against the hardtop. It leaks down at the bottom by the door panel and drips down pretty much right where my seatbelt is.

@Rubn1out4GudLuk I am using the Forbidden usa hardware kit and the rear seals is the thinner ribbed one that came with it. I think its gotta be the rear seal making the squeeking because it got pretty hot today (around 90 F) and the squeeking was minimal due to the seal expanding and the grease becoming more viscous. This morning it was about 50 F and it squeeked like crazy so the fact that its temp dependent points to the seals. Thanks for the advice on the camper seal.

I also barely got the bolts in the brackets at their max setting so I figured it was as tight as I could get it. I think I'll try swappin over the vinyl rear seal to a rubber one, grease it like crazy and tighten it down hard.

Any other suggestions would be awesome.

Thanks guys
Old 06-15-2012, 01:14 PM

Btw time to whore out my car lol

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8049288...in/photostream
Old 06-16-2012, 09:17 AM

@ ciniS2k, If you do decide to go with the camper seal that I suggested earlier then put a layer on the HT and a layer on the vinyl strip. Create more of a double seal. If you are worried that the HT will sit too high then don't. It's foam, it settles and gets squished from the HT's weight after a few weeks. Also, I would suggest not pushing it down before tightening the bolts. Just let it sit under its own weight while tightening the bolts. After a week or so tighten them a little more. Should be good to go. Last time I took my HT off was last November/December because I was removing my soft top and haven't take it off since. No squeaks or rattles or leaks since...Knock on wood. Granted, I'm in Socal where it hardly rains but when I wash my car I don't get leaks in the cabin.

Oh yeah, Sweet ride man
Old 06-16-2012, 06:17 PM

I kind of have the same problem. Forbidden's hardtops are perfect on the top and rear, its the sides that are the problem.

My problem is squeaking only on the passenger side. I've tried different types of seals, grease it doesn't stop the squeaking. Only thing that stops it is if I don't push down on the hardtop while tightening the bolts. This leads to air gaps though at highway speeds.
Old 06-17-2012, 02:32 PM

I just came up and got it installed by Alberto. I'm very happy with it. He and his cousin are great. I definitely will bus more cool stuffs from them again.
Old 06-18-2012, 02:50 AM

@SDredrider, did you see any of the methods they used to install the top? Grease, pressure when bolting it down, etc.

Quick Reply: Forbidden USA hardtop issues