S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Forbidden hardtop reviews

Old 06-01-2012, 05:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they aren't perfect when you first get it. I had to grab this sponge like foam seal on top of my current spyder seals for the sides. Wind Noise. there isn't any until 80+ speed. 100 + speed there is some leakage from the front for me personally. You really have to play with them a lot to get them just right. On top of that. Mine squeak A LOT. Annoying. i ahve to lube it up with honda's SHin whatever grease a lot.

rear is perfect except for the fact that my trunk when i put it up hits my hardtop
Old 06-01-2012, 06:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bryan720
Material: 0 (I'm embarrassed to take my car out as the CF by the windows and the base looks pitted?)
Thanks for the pics Bryan720. I cant say I disagree with u about the quality around the base of your hardtop and around the windows. That doesnt look good especially for being the most expensive option (double sided CF) which is same option I'm looking at. Actually kinda bummed to see these pics. Wondering if anyone else is the same??

Is that how it came?

How long have u had your hardtop?

How many times have u removed/reinstalled the hardtop?

How much did u pay for the VIS rear glass window? Where did u order from??
Old 06-01-2012, 06:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by notorious9i6
they aren't perfect when you first get it. I had to grab this sponge like foam seal on top of my current spyder seals for the sides. Wind Noise. there isn't any until 80+ speed. 100 + speed there is some leakage from the front for me personally. You really have to play with them a lot to get them just right. On top of that. Mine squeak A LOT. Annoying. i ahve to lube it up with honda's SHin whatever grease a lot.

rear is perfect except for the fact that my trunk when i put it up hits my hardtop
How often do u regrease with this Honda shin stuff? How much is this grease? Can u get this at the dealer??

So the trunk hits the hardtop? Ok
Old 06-01-2012, 06:48 PM

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Islandroots
Thanks for the pics Bryan720. I cant say I disagree with u about the quality around the base of your hardtop and around the windows. That doesnt look good especially for being the most expensive option (double sided CF) which is same option I'm looking at. Actually kinda bummed to see these pics. Wondering if anyone else is the same??
Yep, mine is like that as well. The carbon work around the edges is very rough.

I glued rubber bumpstops onto my trunk arms so it doesn't open as far and hit the hardtop.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by notorious9i6' timestamp='1338600771' post='21747890

How often do u regrease with this Honda shin stuff? How much is this grease? Can u get this at the dealer??

So the trunk hits the hardtop? Ok
It's honda's grease, and from what i heard its one of the best. You have to grease it like every 2 month or 3 depending on where you live and how your roads. This is just generally speaking. My hardtop sides rubs on the rides of my s2. It's a really tight squeeze. You either want super tight squeak, or a bit loser but then you get wind noise.

My hardtop gets hit my trunk probably about a 1 mm.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just FYI, the trunk hits my OEM top too if it is opened fully, so I don't think that is a problem specific to the replica...
Old 06-01-2012, 09:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, those pictures make the top look really bad. I couldn't stand to have my top looking like that. You get what you pay for I guess.
Old 06-02-2012, 07:35 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

to prevent your trunk hitting your hardtop, i glued some extra seals on the rubber stoppers on the trunk hinge.
and as far as replicas go and customer service, i think it's a great product and price!
Old 06-04-2012, 09:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bryan720' timestamp='1338493995' post='21744093
Material: 0 (I'm embarrassed to take my car out as the CF by the windows and the base looks pitted?)

Is that how it came?

Is that how it came?
-Yes

-6 months / 3miles of driving (I don't have time to drive my S anymore )

-only took it off and put it back on once

- Gunshow@vis $400 +or-
Old 06-12-2012, 08:56 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had mine for about 6 months and just had it clear coated

Scale 1 - 10, 10 being the highest

Type: Vacuum Infused double sided carbon fiber

Fitment

Front: 10 " matches up fine"
Window part: 10 no issues
Sides: 2 "gap on both sides as well - wind noise on freeway - OEM seals may fix this if you can afford them - passengers door window catches on hardtop when up 100%. May need more adjustment but this seems common for MG style replicas
Rear: 10 "seals fine if you take your time and install the seals perfectly. If you are worried about your trunk hitting swap out the trunk stoppers with the OEM hardtop ones and it will fix the issue. That is not a flaw

Brackets: NA (used OEM)

Plexiglass: "the clear plexi scratched easily with invisible glass and microfiber - swapped it"

Material: 5 "also have much of the same already reported here, pitting in a couple of areas and the edges are unfinished"

Conclusion: For what this top costs and the weight of it "one person cal remove and install it" I think it is well worth the money. The one thing I would definitely recommend is painting or clearing it to get rid of some of the imperfections in the material. Only then will you be happy with its appearance.

Quick Reply: Forbidden hardtop reviews