S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Forbidden hardtop reviews

Old 05-31-2012, 08:00 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Forbidden hardtop reviews

Since it seems that quite a few members here have picked up this hardtop, I just wanted to know how they're holding up to daily duties? Really, I want to know if theres any wind noise when driving? And if there are any leaks when washing the car or its raining out?? How do u guys like the mounting brackets? How easy/hard is it to remove/install after the initial fitting? Quality of the plexiglass? Are they easily scratched?? The initial quality and fitment of these hardtops looks good and customer service seems to be worthy of praise. I'm leaning towards picking one up from Albert in the not too distant future. Just looking for a more in-depth reviews from owners of this hardtop.

Any and all reviews is appreciated, thanks.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:10 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've had mine for over a year and it's great. I get compliments everywhere.mit will leak air if you don't install it properly but if you take a few minutes and get it to sit right it will sit perfect. Mine leaks a little water through the driver side seal when I wash my car but nothing when it rains.
This top is very easy to remove. It's just 6 10mm bots and that's it. I remove it by myself all the time. It's light enough where one persn can do it easily.
The plexiglass window is ok but you yet what you pay for. It doesn't bother me that much and really no one notices either. It does scratch easily but all lexan windows will have this problem.
I'd buy from them agan in a heart beat. Remember it's a replica so it will not be perfect but it's the best on the market for the price!!
Old 05-31-2012, 11:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Scale 1 - 10, 10 being the highest

Type: Vacuum Infusion double sided carbon fiber

Fitment:
Front: 10
Window part: 10 (my last VIS one hit the window and had to be shaved, and they have marks if your using OEM seals)
Sides: 0 (gap on both sides)
Rear: 10 (seals nice, has marks if your using OEM seals)

Brackets: NA (used OEM)

Plexiglass: NA (used a VIS glass window)

Material: 0 (CF by the windows and the base looks pitted?)

Shipping time: 9

Communication during purchase: 10
Old 05-31-2012, 12:33 PM

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Your best source would be the Forbidden thread, but...

Originally Posted by Islandroots
I just wanted to know how they're holding up to daily duties?
Great! No major defects or complaints.

Really, I want to know if theres any wind noise when driving?
Small amount at highway speeds. Haven't been able to get it 100% sealed in the areas behind your shoulder. I've tried. A lot.

And if there are any leaks when washing the car or its raining out?
Mine's never been wet haha.

Quality of the plexiglass? Are they easily scratched?
The rear window is fine if you leave it alone. it scratches easily.

The initial quality and fitment of these hardtops looks good and customer service seems to be worthy of praise. I'm leaning towards picking one up from Albert in the not too distant future.
Agreed.
Old 05-31-2012, 03:35 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

honestly all you have to do read pages in the forbidden usa mugen hardtop thread. i've read through all pages and only heard about great things about the product and vendor before i purchased mine.

i only have mine on during the winter, fitment is pretty good as far as replicas go. wind noise depends on you adjusting it, i've heard oem hardtops also need adjusting too. mine doesn't leak in the rain or when i wash it, unless i spray the hose directly where the window meets the seal on the driver and passenger side, but my soft top seals do that anyways. the lexan window easily gets scratched, but can be polished. customer service is AMAZING! i had a small defect in my top and alberto (vendor) paid for all the repairs, great guy! oh and the paint match is amazing, even the flakes are pretty close to matching

>>review<<
my mini review is the first one on that page
Old 05-31-2012, 05:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well here's my take.

Overall, I'm happy with it. Alberto provides great customer service.

Here's what I'm unhappy about:

It's virtually impossible to get a perfect seal. They're will be wind noise. I've tried moving things around, various different seals and I've gotten it pretty good but at highway speeds there's still some wind noise on the sides. The front and rear of the hardtop fit and seal perfectly. The sides are the problem.

There' no leak. I've washed it, been in rain, its sealed from water.

The interior is completely unfinished. The edges are jagged, its just very unsightly. I had mine finished, smoothed out, and painted so it looks a lot better.

The Lexan rear window scratches easily. It's also a bit wavy. It's not too bad but its definitely there. It's also pretty thin, while cleaning it you can feel the window flex inwards if you apply moderate pressure. It's also not tinted, despite being listed as around 40% tint. It's more like 75%. You can also see the glue that holds the window in.

The rear hardware is adequate but its still annoying to take off and on. You also need someone to push down on the hardtop while you bolt it in if you want a tight seal so you can't really do it yourself. If you can get a hold of oem hardware, I'd highly recommend it.

Overall for the price, its pretty good. Just don't go in expecting OEM fitment, finish, and quality. But if I'm honest, if I had to do it again I'd pay more and get an OEM top.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:01 PM

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by S2k007
Overall for the price, its pretty good. Just don't go in expecting OEM fitment, finish, and quality. But if I'm honest, if I had to do it again I'd pay more and get an OEM top.
Agree with everything you said, but I think the Mugen style is way hotter than OEM. Fit and finish goes to OEM every time though.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:05 PM

Fitment was great with mine. No wind noise or creaks after i replaced the rear seal with one from AutoZone. The rear seal it came with had gaps on the sides and rear. Had wind noise before replacing the seal. Window does feel thin and scratches easily if not cleaned correctly. I use plexus after a car wash on the window and have very minimal scratches.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, plexus and a microfiber towel is what I use for the rear window. I don't touch it with anything else. If your car sees rain or if you wash it, be sure to dry it almost right away. Those water spots are tough to get off of the lexan window.

Curious, what seal did you use from autozone?
Old 06-01-2012, 02:17 PM

I used this rear seal on my hardtop.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...uestid=2624638

Quick Reply: Forbidden hardtop reviews