S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Which Flywheel to go with- Competion Ultra LW?

Old 04-06-2009, 05:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Flywheel to go with- Competion Ultra LW?

Hi everyone. My clutch has started slipping. So time for some upgrades! I ordered HTG's clutch package, minus the flywheel because I was planning on going with the Comptech lightweight flywheel. However, after ordering the Comptech flywheel from AutopartsUSA, i got an email saying that Comptech no longer offers that flywheel, so now I'm stuck not knowing which direction to go.

The Competition Ultra lightweight steel flywheel seems to be close in weight to the Comptech, but is 8.5 lbs TOO light for a daily driver? The ACT lightened flywheel seems to weight close to the AP1 OEM flywheel, and I'd like a somewhat lighter FW as an upgrade....I don't want to drop the $$ on a Toda of Fidanza.

Does anyone have the Competition Ultra lightweight on a daily/semi-daily driver car, and can you provide your perception of the pros/cons of this particular FW? Thanks for any help!
Old 04-06-2009, 06:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Comptech flywheel in great condition for sale here.

I'm running a Competition Clutch 9lb flywheel with a 6 puck and it requires precise footwork from a stop.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:55 AM

Yeah, I've got the ULW flywheel also w/the Ironman clutch, like John says, it's not a very forgiving combo. Since I don't drive it that much, actually just starting to again as it's the season, I tend to get a little to quick footed once in a while which results in a stall. I let a Subie driver friend of mine take it for a spin, he killed it 5 times in about the same number of miles. You have to rev it a bit higher than normal on take off and it engages REALLY quick, there's really no room to ride it and if you try it'll make a lot of noise and shudder a bit sometimes. Other than that I love it
Old 04-07-2009, 09:16 AM

After searching around some more, I've realized that Competch has changed to CT-Engineering. Therefore, is it safe to assume that this flywheel is the same one?

http://www.modacar.com/products/Honda/S2000/MODAFLY/

The weight seems to be the same, and it's Chromalloy as well.
Old 04-08-2009, 03:19 PM

Man, I'm getting shot down- looks like Comptech /CT-Engineering is gone, I've had three parts distributors tell me out of stock / out of prodcution. Is anyone else rocking the Competion ULW? Any more impressions?
Old 04-08-2009, 05:21 PM

I have one for you PM me.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:33 PM

^^ how much??
Old 04-08-2009, 06:39 PM

$320 shipped
Old 04-09-2009, 11:30 AM

Look at science of speeds site. they have the competition flywheels for cheap. thats where I got my Ultra lite.... I dont have it on yet but i liked the idea of single piece construction. Not like some of those others out there.

It is similar to the toda flywheel in weight and constuction. I will just be using stock pp and fp. Science of speed was good about quick shipping too.
Old 04-11-2009, 07:40 AM

ofire....do you use yours on S on street or track? Are you concerned about the difficulty of modulating it in everyday traffic?

Quick Reply: Which Flywheel to go with- Competion Ultra LW?