S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

FIPK AND AUT?

Old 05-16-2011, 03:14 PM

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by it'S2klean
very debatable
The only evidence i have ever seen that is contrary to my statement is your statement... every dyno I have seen on any car of a CAI before and after the bypass valve was installed has shown a decrease in power after adding the valve. However I should have specified that I meant with regard to power... it will still prevent heatsoak with the valve.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:21 PM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by eklipz98
I've been interested in the AUT/K&N FIPK combo. I've got the K&N part, but haven't been able to justify the additional cost of the AUT. Seems like every single used AUT cooling plate I've seen is damaged.
Same here. Also, when you're actually driving the car, the FIPK alone is usually only 12-13 degrees over ambient, so heat soak isn't much of an issue except when you're stuck in traffic.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by thomsbrain
Originally Posted by eklipz98' timestamp='1305560288' post='20580307
I've been interested in the AUT/K&N FIPK combo. I've got the K&N part, but haven't been able to justify the additional cost of the AUT. Seems like every single used AUT cooling plate I've seen is damaged.
Same here. Also, when you're actually driving the car, the FIPK alone is usually only 12-13 degrees over ambient, so heat soak isn't much of an issue except when you're stuck in traffic.
The AUT plate isn't for heat soak. It's for a source of fresh, cold air when the car is moving. The difference in 3rd and 4th gear is noticeable according to my butt dyno.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:08 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

Cooling plates and intakes are impossible to measure on a dyno - until you are moving and have high air pressure across the car, and thus air actually moving into the intakes, you're just measuring the power while the car is sitting still, which is pretty pointless for an intake system that is designed to work at speed. Also, heat soak isn't an issue once you are moving, only at idle - when the S is moving down the road, outside air is directed right to the intake ahead of the rad so you are already getting cold air, its just a matter of what shape pipe and what intake sound you want.

The only major thing the AUT plate, or any plate with a vent ahead of the stock airbox intake location, does is create a higher pressure zone and higher velocity as air moves through the smaller area. Basically, more compressed air, denser, etc. It works well with the stock air box or the FIPK, but again, unless you are actually driving, you can't measure the real benefits of it or any intake.

Good reading fyi - http://www.caranddriver.com/features...ng_-tech_stuff

All that said, I have the AUT and K&N, and love it for the sound. I had to sand down the edges to get it to fit properly, but no major issues.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just like the look of the plate and if it does increase performance than thats just an extra +!! It cleans up the engine bay a lot and adds some bling...for $100 that seems like a cheap upgrade in general considering most decent quality parts for the S2k are not cheap!
Old 05-18-2011, 04:05 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I used to have the K&N with aut cooling plate as well. Very nice combo.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:38 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

you can't go wrong with a FiPK..
Old 05-19-2011, 06:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

love my fipk, HATE the friggin heat soak on hot days... kinda embarassing to have to rev it up to keep it from bogging hard on ya in the middle of columbia... wish i could find a way to fix it
Old 05-19-2011, 07:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone ever used a snorkel with a FIPK,i think that would provide more fresh air than the AUT but its not gonna look as nice as the AUT though.
Old 05-20-2011, 11:26 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by jayson415P.R.
Has anyone ever used a snorkel with a FIPK,i think that would provide more fresh air than the AUT but its not gonna look as nice as the AUT though.
A snorkel is like holding a straw out the window while you drive to ensure air gets to the other end - the air is already being directed, so why add a part that doesn't add to that functionality?
With a FIPK (or stock airbox), all a snorkel is doing is sitting in the path the air takes anyway - it really has no benefit over not being there. Its redundant imo, plus with a cooling plate, it negates any extra pos pressure that builds up under the cooling plate because it blocks it from the air box.

Quick Reply: FIPK AND AUT?