S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Fast Foward Header Review

Old 05-02-2010, 05:44 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Fast Foward Header Review

Ok guys, after spending some quality time driving around with my new Fast Foward Header, I figured I would type up a review for it. I'll be making the majority of my comparisons to the stock header and also to the private label header which I have owned in the past.

Please take note, this review is based off the final 4-2-1 developed to maximize the stock ECU tune. I've always been a bit uneasy about tuning a strictly street car so this "plug and play" header was right up my alley. Max possible bolt on performance. I have no plans to try and tune the header in the future either.

Another disclaimer. List of support mods on the car are the following

MY00
MY02 ECU
Mugen replica intake
T1R 63mm Test Pipe
T1R 63mm Single exhaust (V1)
4.77s

Anyways here we go.

Friday the UPS man showed up at my job and brought me my new toy

First impressions= Awesome. This is definitely a function over form style header. Some might be turned off by its not so flashy jdm bling style and the welds arent exactly the cleanest but the overall craftsmanship is very well done. I'm also really glad I went with the thermal coated black finish as it looks very stealthy and very aggressive. Seeing as though this is a hand built header, I'm not sweating its visual short comings. Adding more to it's functionality is the fact that it weighs about 10-12lbs less than stock, but maybe a pound or 2 more than the PLM header.

Install went like clockwork. Unbolt, slide out, slide in, bolt on. Fitment is spot on. You'll immediately notice the difference of space in the engine bay once installed. The header unit seems much smaller at the block in comparison to the stock, or any other header for that matter. Once again its not the prettiest header on the market (actually it makes me a bit uneasy sometimes when i stare too hard, reminds me of innards, entrails, intestest, bowels omfg) BUT once again you'll eventually find this header is more business than anything else.

Started the car up and immediately noticed 2 things. #1 IT STINKS, no literally it smelled pretty bad. I even called up Jeremy at UMS tunning to make sure that was normal (which in turn, it is normal for new pipes. It has been a while since I've purchased a brand new exhaust piece in sometime so pardon the noobness). If went away after about a day of driving. #2 the idle exhaust note. Angry and deep. You can tell upon start up, something is different about the car. You can also hear the subtle change in exhaust note rhythm due to the different style of cylinder parrings (1-3, 2-4).

Now here's the part you're all prolly waiting to hear. The driving expereince and on road performance of the header.

In a word, Solid. There is really no downside in this header when it came to performing.

Over stock, you feel a difference immediately ESPECIALLY between 3000-6000 and 7000-redline. Something I went in looking for was a low end loss of power I noticed in my car when I put the Private Label header on my car. I dont know if it was a lack of back pressure but I definitely noticed my car had lost steam below 4k with the PLM header. This wasent and issue with the FF header. It performed much stronger in the lower mid range RPMs. The car was extremely responsive and was a blast to drive around the city. From 6000-7000, the car feels pretty much stock or atleast there was no noticeable change in performance. 7k and above the car pulled HARD. It definitely pulled a lot harder than the PLM. The butt dyno might not know much, but the FF's performance jump is definitetly not placebo. I'm looking to get the car dyno'd within the next few weeks so stay tuned for the actual numbers.

Between the aggressive exhaust note and the striking performance boost, it's hard not to smile when driving the car. Overall I am extremely happy with the purchase. My hat goes off to Jeremy and the guys over at UMS tuning for providing excellent customer service and also Jeff for developing such a great header. I can't wait to see the final product for the 4-1 design.

I hope this review helps any would be buyers if they were looking into this header. If you're looking for a good plug in play header, I don't think you'll find a better performing header than this.

more install pics

fixed. my shitty camera doesnt capture sound very well. this defintely needs to be heard in person

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=...v=1414870019102

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=...v=1414873699194
Old 05-02-2010, 06:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 05-02-2010, 06:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

is the 4-1 supposed to be a little more tuned friendly?
Old 05-02-2010, 07:38 PM

great review thank you. I already have the PLM, but if i were to swap out for a different header it would be this one for sure.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by whiteflash,May 2 2010, 06:59 PM
is the 4-1 supposed to be a little more tuned friendly?
I'm pretty sure they well. The first version made 20lbs more
mid range torque over stock but Jeff is still in the developmen stages of it. I'm also positive they are going to revamp the 4-2-1 unit to accomadate tuning in the future as well. Only time will tell.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:55 AM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

I need to get down that way and hear this thing. Mind sending me a pm with what you paid? did you already sell the PLM header?
Old 05-03-2010, 07:02 AM

I don't mind posting What I paid since it's the same price advertised in their vendor thread. 425 deposit before production, 425 upon shipping. I sold the plm header a few months back to Kevin (kbb in mid a). I need a new header donut, which will be here tomorrow. Mine is in bad shape from the mutliple installs and removal I've used it for. Steve go check of the ff thread in the na forums. Bolted up to a
100% stock ap2 showed some nice gains.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:34 AM

nice, review...looking forward to the dyno results
Old 05-03-2010, 05:13 PM

Video of exhaust note =)
Old 05-03-2010, 05:36 PM

once i get my new exhaust donut on, i'll do a quick video.

Quick Reply: Fast Foward Header Review