S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.
View Poll Results: EZ ON TOP or Robbins TOP or OEM softtop ?
EZ ON TOP $459.00
19.08%
Robbins TOP $549.00
58.88%
OEM softtop $824.00 + shipping
22.04%
Voters: 304. You may not vote on this poll

EZ ON TOP vs. Robbins TOP vs. OEM softtop

Old 02-20-2012, 07:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SoCalJimS2K
TPhong - Thanks for your input, appreciate it .. when you say "a little more maintenance," can you elaborate? I've read the same from others about the cloth but not quite sure what that means.
get this kit and youre good to go!
Old 02-21-2012, 04:59 AM

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalJimS2K
TPhong - Thanks for your input, appreciate it .. when you say "a little more maintenance," can you elaborate? I've read the same from others about the cloth but not quite sure what that means.
Basically think of it like this. Canvas/cloth is like a cotton jacket, and vinyl is more of a neoprene"ish" jacket. Both do the same job, the canvas/cloth looks and feels better. The maintenance part comes in to play in regards to bird poop, tree sap, bug splatter, etc; with vinyl, it can be somewhat easy to get that stuff off. With canvas/cloth, if you don't clean it as soon as it happens, it'll have the tendency to stick and penetrate into the fabric. Either way you decide, definitely get you some Ragg Topp.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:48 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I prefer the looks of cloth but also have the opinion that vinyl may be a little more durable. If I had a cloth top, I think I would double the maintanance schedule as a precaution. Even so, my next top will probably be cloth.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vo'sS2k
that top is the EZ On top. I ordered this top last week and plan on installing it tomorrow myself with two friends. Will keep you posted on the result.

Originally Posted by Impulse147
Got one of the $399 ebay tops,twill weave cloth with glass.Gonna start on it today,so I'll try and post back with updates.
Updates??
Old 11-25-2012, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by rocketstarter
Originally Posted by Croc' timestamp='1317763401' post='21039377
what are the prices?
OEM costs in USA ~700$, right?
Robbins is a god brand but they cost ~550$, right?
for this price difference i would go OEM.
We have all had OEM tops, and we all know what happened to them. Not all OEM parts are worth their weight in gold. For this price difference I'd rather not have the same dissapointment and offer a part review for the S2KI community
1. Forgive a newbie of less than 3 yrs. (not this site), but I don't understand the comment, my 04's top is in great shape, and I thought they held up for about 10 yrs. unless you didn't treat them with the 303 or Ragtop.
2. Are you suggesting the others last longer than 10 yrs?
3. Just curious since I'm hoping I get off easier since mine was kept in the garage mostly for the first 6 yrs. and only saw 9k miles of usage, and I bought a hardtop for it to keep from having to buy a softtop (hopefully). We'll see how that theory works out since I had del sols for 12 yrs., and I hope to keep the S through work, retirement (7 more years), and beyond. I would use it as a coffin, but my kids would dig me up and take the car, and throw me back in, ha! (hope that humor wasn't too dark!).
Old 11-27-2012, 06:06 PM

After reading this topic, I still have one question!

I understand that the cloth tops have better looks, but how about longevity?

To me, the word cloth sounds like it will fade faster than vinyl.

Also! What can I do to strengthen the susceptible areas on our soft tops?

Thanks!

Jeremy/Jermz/JRMZ
Old 11-28-2012, 12:57 PM

Just got the Robbins top installed by JPM Coachworks here in the Atlanta area. The glass is a plus on my '01 and the fit is excellent.

The guys did a great job for a great price.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I had a Miata,I put an EZ-On top on it.Was never happy with the quality,fit & finish.I replaced the top on my 03S last spring with a Robbins and I'm very happy with it.

For me,the cost of an OEM top on a 10 YR OLD car didn't make sense.

\rlr
carolina
Old 11-30-2012, 08:19 AM
DxC

I have a EZ-on top on my 2000 s2k. Installed it myself so saved money on pretty much everything(top/install) I love the cloth over the vinyl and the glass window is much better, obviously. It was a PITA to get on. And after about a month now I'm going going back to re fit some areas I wasn't happy with now that it is stretched a little more. From what I have read Robbins has more prep done from the retailer where as EZ-on is pretty much a blank canvas. I think as long as you get a pro to do it though you shouldn't have issues with either.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:22 AM

I replaced my torn OEM top on my 05 AP2 with a Robbins Canvas top last year. It was done professionally, fitment was perfect, and quality was A+. However, there is a slight flapping sound coming from the flap above the rear window at highway speeds. I still haven't figured out a way to eliminate that noise.