S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.
View Poll Results: EZ ON TOP or Robbins TOP or OEM softtop ?
EZ ON TOP $459.00
19.08%
Robbins TOP $549.00
58.88%
OEM softtop $824.00 + shipping
22.04%
Voters: 304. You may not vote on this poll

EZ ON TOP vs. Robbins TOP vs. OEM softtop

Old 05-23-2014, 07:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by plumsauceAP1
I got one of the companies to send me a picture of the Premium vinyl vs the XT vinyl. I can't post it right now as I'm at work but the Premium looked a lot darker and richer, less grainy and grey compared to the XT and also the Premium uses Haartz vinyl which is OEM quality, as the XT is an unknown brand, obviously cheaper. I just ordered my Robbins top and went with the Premium for the $50 extra or so...I feel satisfied that I went with the right choice.
1. I had to laugh when I got down to the end, and it was only $50 more, a no brainer, and I'm a well known cheap-arse on the other site!
Old 05-23-2014, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by ap2k7
Get a hardtop it will save you money on the long run
1. Did it. Bought an 04, six yrs. old w/9k miles on it, and I was going to use the car through the winter here in Indy (wife's Corolla available 2-3 times/wk., and I reasoned that if I bought a hardtop I'd never have to buy another softtop.
2. We'll see; I keep 303 on it to "insure" my theory.
Old 05-24-2014, 03:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by doddg
1. I had to laugh when I got down to the end, and it was only $50 more, a no brainer, and I'm a well known cheap-arse on the other site!
Sorry, is there a problem with doing some research before buying a product that is offered at difference price points? Maybe you should be laughing at Robbins and Topsonline because they have a $53 difference between the two tops. We're all here to share information, get off your high horse.

And stop responding using list format. 1 point doesn't require a numbered list.

Also, no one cares about how available your wife's Corolla is.

Let's get back to continuing to post information to better inform one another.
Old 08-18-2014, 02:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

local dealership is charging me $850 (parts & labor) for an OEM top. they claim that is half price of $1,700 the "normal" cost. it's was not too long ago that the OEM replacement soft top was listed on Majistic Honda for $6xx now they are listed for $869 just for the top
Old 08-28-2014, 01:45 PM
Gatsbee13

i had a robbins top installed by a certified installer about 3 years ago.. how do i find out if its the premium or xt? i remember i paid about 575 just for material through the installer..

i tried calling manufacturer but the lady on the line was no help.. called my installer and he said hes not familiar with the premium and xt and says he just requests it from robbins and installs whatever they give him.

the top is still looking amazingly good and im inclined to think its the premium version.
Old 11-06-2014, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by Georgia Irish
Just got the Robbins top installed by JPM Coachworks here in the Atlanta area. The glass is a plus on my '01 and the fit is excellent.

The guys did a great job for a great price.

I am in Georgia, as well. Mind telling me what this shop charged? My original top if finally showing some cracks just above and behind the side windows.

Thanks
Ron Ussery
2000 S2K, 45,000 miles
Columbus, GA

usseryron@hotmail.com
Old 11-06-2014, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by thesilverbullet
local dealership is charging me $850 (parts & labor) for an OEM top. they claim that is half price of $1,700 the "normal" cost. it's was not too long ago that the OEM replacement soft top was listed on Majistic Honda for $6xx now they are listed for $869 just for the top
Silver Bullet: I am in Georgia and would gladly pay $850-$900 for an OEM top professionally installed. Which dealership did you use?

Thanks

usseryron@hotmail.com
Old 12-26-2014, 12:51 PM

I think OEM holds up really well even if it isn't cloth. I havent heard from anyone here who has their aftermarket top for more than 10 years?
Old 12-26-2014, 05:42 PM
Gatsbee13

I can see why robbins top wins the vote here.. I got a new robbins top installed Dec 2011 and it still looks brand new (but ive taken good care of it).. when I purchased my 03' in 2006, oem top didn't look as good as how my robbins does now.. but not sure how it was taken care of prior. I have my hardtop on at moment but ill post pics when i can of when i just had robbins top installed and how it looks 3 years later.
Old 12-27-2014, 02:51 PM

Received 487 Likes on 398 Posts

The biggest thing that ruins the top is using it when it's wet or has any sort of condensation on it, second is not treating it. Treating it with 303, or RaggTopp keeps the top from getting hard and cracking the vinyl. That and the burrs on the soft top frame are really all that's keeping the top from essentially lasting the life of the car. Also, how many people treat the inside of the tops?