S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

external air/oil cooler in addition

Old 01-03-2011, 12:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default external air/oil cooler in addition

I feel like my car is gonna be subject to some oil heating issues ( im planning to go to track and beat the car often) I was wandering if it was alright to put a front facing air/oil cooler in addition to the collant /oil cooler on the car... was that done before? anyone?

thanks for answering

André
Old 01-03-2011, 04:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would remove the OEM oil cooler and just use the new one......it will be very effective and you will not need the old one. too much cooling is also not good just as to much heat is not good.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:46 AM

will it do a pressure drop in oil system, enough to make v-tec soleinoid not clicking ''on'' at the right time or is it just triggered by rpm?
Old 01-04-2011, 12:22 PM

If you have good pressure now, an oil cooler will not make enough pressure drop to affect anything. You should check your oil pressure with an actual gauge before and after you install an aftermarket oil cooler. I dont see any reason to remove the factory cooler. A good aftermarket oil cooler will have an internal thermostat system so your oil will not over cool.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:56 PM

yes , this one does have a thermostat, it is out off a FC rx7. it is quite big
Old 01-04-2011, 09:09 PM
Former Sponsor

Lots of people have done it and it is pretty easy on a S2000 since there is plenty of room everywhere.

Just remember that when ducting the cooler getting air in is JUST as important as allowing the air to exit.

OEM coolers are nice because many of them have built in thermostats as you mentioned. If you go with an aftermarket they have inline thermostats you can plumb into the system.

NO NEED TO REMOVE THE OEM OIL COOLER. Just leave it in place.
Old 01-05-2011, 04:30 AM

exellent, I also hthink of leaving it there, It heats oil faster to regulate a good ambiant inner temp between oil and coolant.. and since the engine is gonna be track use , an extra cooling feature might be the best to keep things cool in the event where the stock unit would be overwhelmed... Im also thinking of a oil accusump just in case and for sure , a oil pressure gauge.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:08 AM

dry sump? especially if its gona be tracked! and there awesome haha ! however the oem system is more than capable of lubricating at the track
Old 01-05-2011, 11:09 AM

yeah dry sump is expensive too. IM just thinking of getting a security feature in case of oil starvation by latteral g force... if ever no oil is picked by the oil pick up in carter and that pressure drop to a specific point, the accusump would immediately send a quarter in the engine straight to the filter to provide lubrification where the emergencey needs it, after it is no big deal, the accusump fills itself back while running.

I beleive this type of unit may save the f20c in a huge 4th gear big angle continuate drift at WOT... cheapest drysump i found is 2500$ the most expensive so far is from toda and it is nothing less than 10K$ while an accusump is just a few hundreds maybe 2-300$ bucks
Old 01-05-2011, 11:15 AM
Banned

Greddy Oil cooler FTW. Has a thermostat and there is a S2000 specific made kit.

Quick Reply: external air/oil cooler in addition