S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Experienced with Nitrous but New to S2k

Old 08-03-2008, 01:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I test drove an s2k over the weekend and I was very impressed. I was worried about the lack of torque but it felt pretty fast nonetheless, the go-cart/motorcycle like feel the car has well makes up for it. Also I like the extra kick you get when the vtec kicks in, it is almost like a mini shot of nitrous haha. I was also very impressed with how fast the car revs and gets into its power band and of course the agility around corners.

The only thing I dislike about the s2k is the fact that the vtec kicks in for such a sort period of time.

If I do get a s2k I think I would definitely get a vafc, reflash or something else to adjust vtec to kick in at a bit lower rpms. From my understanding, 06+ is the only years with a programmable ecu correct? So if I get an 04 or 05 I would need something like vafc or a new ecu.

Comptech s/c sounds like it would be perfect for me. However, I have dumped soo much money modding my current car that this time around I would probably wait a 4-5 years before doing something like that to the s2k. I just want to keep mods very light for awhile.

I am still considering 2 other cars 350Z and Lancer Evo 9. I have decided that I would most likely choose an s2k over 350z because I want more of a weightless track car and the better reliability of an s2k. On the other hand, the lancer evo would probably be the perfect car for me, but I just really do not want a sedan. If the evo came in a coupe I would take it.

On another note, what do you guys think of a red s2k? There is a brand new 07 s2k going for $30k and they seem very desperate to sell so they would probably go even lower. My favorite colors are either Laguna blue or gray. I really like the red but I feel it might be considered a bit "girly" and too stand out ish with regards to CHP. What are your thoughts.
Old 08-03-2008, 02:01 PM

I think he red is a nice color, it is not my favorite though. My favorites are Sebring Silver, Laguna Blue Pearl, and Berlina Black. Just my $0.02. Hope your car decision works out.
Old 08-03-2008, 03:30 PM

I have owned both an 04 350Z, and now and 02 S2000. I can tell you they are TOTALLY different cars. The Z just felt fast. I was a fat pig, who held corners, but was so torquy that it felt like it was going to let go at any second (and did a few times). The S holds corners, flat out. In lateral g tests, but cars hit around .90, sot ehy are both very will fitted. While the Z is about 300-400 lbs heavier, the increase in tq and hp make the extra weight feel like it isnt there. I loved both cars for what they both have to offer.

On the note of VTEC engagement, it hits around 6 for a reason. Lowering the engagement point on a stock application can actually make your car slower. With stock mapping, you will most likely want to leave the engagement point where it is. If you do go with a VAFC, you will want to shell out some extra cash for someone in your area to do a wideband tune.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:21 AM

Received 113 Likes on 74 Posts

Hey S2kfrog. You should be able to pick up a low miled S for around 24-26k and a brand new leftover if still available for around 27-29k. 30k is a high price. i paid 30,500 over a year ago for my 07.

Also go get the toda header, exhaust, tp/High flow cat, Hondata reflash and gears. And you will have a very very fun track car. with the toda header exhaust, tp and hondata reflash you'lll be putting down around 20-25 more whp and tq in the midrange. The hondata reflash lets you engage vtec (only while WOT) at 4200 and lets you rev to 8600. its a very well tuned reflash.

Also theres a new dry carbon intake made by pswdjdm. it cost $999 but its dry carb and weighs 4 lbs and one of the only intakes that has been dyno proven to make power through out the powerband
Old 08-04-2008, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by damonhimself,Aug 3 2008, 03:30 PM
I have owned both an 04 350Z, and now and 02 S2000. I can tell you they are TOTALLY different cars. The Z just felt fast. I was a fat pig, who held corners, but was so torquy that it felt like it was going to let go at any second (and did a few times). The S holds corners, flat out. In lateral g tests, but cars hit around .90, sot ehy are both very will fitted. While the Z is about 300-400 lbs heavier, the increase in tq and hp make the extra weight feel like it isnt there. I loved both cars for what they both have to offer.

On the note of VTEC engagement, it hits around 6 for a reason. Lowering the engagement point on a stock application can actually make your car slower. With stock mapping, you will most likely want to leave the engagement point where it is. If you do go with a VAFC, you will want to shell out some extra cash for someone in your area to do a wideband tune.
So if you were to do it all over again would you choose the 350z or s2k?
Which was more reliable/given you less problems? s2k right?
Which car produced faster lap times? (if tested)
What car was the most fun to drive in the long run? Torquey 350z or top-down go-kart s2k?
I agree they are both completely different cars thats why it is such a hard decision to make, but I am leaning towards s2k.
Old 08-04-2008, 08:06 PM

[QUOTE=s.hasan546,Aug 4 2008, 07:21 AM] Hey S2kfrog. You should be able to pick up a low miled S for around 24-26k and a brand new leftover if still available for around 27-29k. 30k is a high price. i paid 30,500 over a year ago for my 07.
Old 08-04-2008, 08:18 PM

Obviously the higher you rev the less reliable it becomes, although its been said the AP2 can rev to 8500 reliably. At about 8500 the AP2 piston speeds are moving at the same speed as an AP1 at 9000.

Dont bother with an intake or gears but looks like your in the right direction.

With full exhaust system, the reflash and the gasket youll probably be seeing 220-230whp depending. Also the sway bar and bigger tires will keep you planted in turns. You might wanna add a nice set of tires/brake pads/brake lines and different brake fluid if your really into tracking it.
Old 08-04-2008, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by qbmurderer13,Aug 4 2008, 08:18 PM
Obviously the higher you rev the less reliable it becomes, although its been said the AP2 can rev to 8500 reliably. At about 8500 the AP2 piston speeds are moving at the same speed as an AP1 at 9000.

Dont bother with an intake or gears but looks like your in the right direction.

With full exhaust system, the reflash and the gasket youll probably be seeing 220-230whp depending. Also the sway bar and bigger tires will keep you planted in turns. You might wanna add a nice set of tires/brake pads/brake lines and different brake fluid if your really into tracking it.
most intakes are useless but gears are probably one of the mods.

Also the reflash wont make you gain ne max hp just throughout the midrange
Old 08-04-2008, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by s2kfrog,Aug 4 2008, 08:06 PM
I am definitely going to haggle with the salesmen on what ever I decide to put an offer on. I am very ruthless and avoid getting emotionally attached to purchases so I can walk away at any time if the price is not right. Thanks, it is very helpful to get a range these cars are going for.

Here are 2 different time lines of mods I would get:
Phase 1.) Year 1 &/or 2- TP, exhaust, front sway bar, 225/255 tires, maybe intake if reasonable price & is actually effective. I would never pay $1K for an intake no matter how effective.
Phase 2.) Year 3 - Header, IMG, hondata reflash
Phase 3.) Year 4 - suspension, gears (maybe or maybe not)
Phase 4.) Year 5 or 6 - S/C (if I feel like I still need more power)

OR
Phase 1.)Same as phase 1 above
Phase 2.) Year 4 or 5 - S/C

What do you think?

Also does hondata affect reliability with the increased rev limit? I read that the valvetrain will be fine but what about bottom end? I hear the bottom end cannot withstand revs much past 8k. Also if I do decide to get a S/C, is there any concern reving to 8.5k? Would this require internal work?
id prob go with ur first timeline. once u mod you dont wanna stop lol....

Also the hondata reflash is reliable dont worry about increasing the redline they kept it almost as reliable as stock i wouldn't worry about it.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:06 PM

Gears are only good for drag racing or daily driving because they are only good at the launch. After the launch they will NOT pull away any further. There is a graph on here a member made showing these side by side.

Quick Reply: Experienced with Nitrous but New to S2k