S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Experienced with Nitrous but New to S2k

Old 07-30-2008, 05:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Experienced with Nitrous but New to S2k

I am looking to purchase an s2k soon. I have been running nitrous on my current car for over a year and looking to swap the kit over to the s2k. I have a NX EFI stage 1 wet kit 35-50-75 shot with every nitrous accessory imaginable. I am very experienced with nitrous and accessories so you guys can spare me any of the general nitrous comments/info. I am looking for some information that is s2k specific.

What Spark plugs and plug gapping recommended?

Timing retard needed for 50 or 75 shot?

Recommended nitrous window range for an ap2 s2k?

What gears you shouldn't spray in for s2k? (most cars you shouldn't spray in 6th gear or sometimes even 1st)

Stock clutch ok for 50 or 75 shot?

How big of a shot can stock internals take?

Basically are there any stock parts that cannot withstand a 50 or 75 shot?

Any other concerns running such a kit on a s2k?
Old 07-30-2008, 10:23 PM

1. I recommend temperature 8 plugs, definately stick with NGK.
2. The general rule of thumb ive seen is 1 timing degree retard for every 25 shot. Maybe different though.
3. I would make it start spraying at maybe 6500 or 6200 right after vtec. I think if you have vtec and nitrous kick in at the same time you might have traction problems.
4. Dont spray in 1st or 6th. You wont get traction in first, and 6th is too long too handle a sudden surge of power.
5. Get the OEM disc with the ACT pressure plate and youll be set. If its a fairly new car and you dont plan on launching it then it should hold up.
6. All stock internals are forged so they shouldnt have a problem with a 50 or 75 shot as long as you dont over do it and dont take the proper precautions.

I have lots of experience with nitrous too, had it on my old integra. I would get an AEM EMS too just to be extra safe. Wouldnt hurt to open up the exhaust system too.

Nitrous is looked down quite a bit here on the forums since nitrous is maintly intended for drag racing and this car isnt. This car was meant to be on a track, where a sudden burst of 75hp will send you into a spin so fast. Make sure you know how terrible this car is at drag racing before you purchase one.
Old 07-31-2008, 06:36 AM

Adjusting timing correctly with the car in stock form wont happen.
You will need to do some modifications.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:43 PM

Thanks for the info guys.....

Yeah I am looking for a stronger track car (mostly road courses) first and foremost, and a car that is fast on straights as just a added benefit but not necessary. I currently use my nitrous system on road courses and it works great with a front wheel drive car. My car oversteers a bit, then I hit the nitrous coming out of a corner and it straightens my car out perfectly. I use the 50 shot for road courses, 75 drag.

As far as nitrous on a s2k, I am sort of "testing the waters". I figure I already have the parts so I should consider it. If I were to install it on the s2k it would be used mostly on the straights on road courses. I am beginning to reconsider nitrous on an s2k as it doesn't seem like a car that complements a nitrous setup.

Here is my dilemma.... I drive a 03 Nissan Sentra SER Specv, I am fully bolted + nitrous + full suspension. My car produces 187 whp and 190 torque to the wheels without nitrous, add 50 or 75 to the wheels when spraying. I have run 13.5's on the quarter mile. And according to SCC my suspension/tire/wheel setup does .97 g on skid pad, 73 slalom.

First off, I am looking for a track car that will outperform my car in handling and straights with only a few mods... basically a car that will produce faster lap times.

Secondly, the s2k sounds like a perfect track car but I am worried that it wont feel fast. My current car produces more torque then hp and I am running nitrous so I am used to the "throw back in seat fast" feeling. I understand that the s2k offers a different sensation of fast, but I still need to test drive one to see if it is the sensation of fast I am looking for. Otherwise, I will probably get a 350Z but not even sure if that would make any better of a track car then my current car being that it is sooo heavy.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:50 PM

Well the S is not really known for making a lot of power from bolt-ons (intake, header, exhaust, etc.). Although there are a lot of companys that are coming out with bolt-ons that make pretty good numbers (Berk, PWJDM, etc.), the majority of other bolt-ons don't make great power. That is why a lot of people go FI and some go with stroker kits. Hope that helps.
Old 07-31-2008, 06:02 PM

Well the car wont give you the kick that you are looking for, but it will pull pretty good once you get it past VTEC. If you are tracking it you will probably spend most of your time way up in the RPM's. This car is really really fun to drive hard.

If you want a track car that gives you that grunt, go buy a C5.
Old 07-31-2008, 06:24 PM

You might be better off in a 350. With only 150lbs of torque at 7500rpm you won't get that thrown back in your seat feeling. The car drives like a civic under 6000, but this car shines at a track where you can stay above 6000. Although if this is your first rwd car then I would definately spend the money on track time or racing school. You can spend 3000 on all the bolt ons in the world and not get more than 20whp. The car will outperform your sentra with some good tires. The car handles like a dream. Although if your looking for straightline speed I would consider a centrifugal supercharger. Gives you a very smooth yet powerful curve that won't send you into a spin coming out of a corner like nitrous or a turbo kit will. Although if you want to mostly drag then you might wanna pick up a turbo kit and a few spare differentials I would recommend you sell the kit and save that for some tires or track time.
Old 07-31-2008, 06:56 PM

The only straight line speed that is really important to me is on straights of a road course. I just want enough power on the straights to keep my distance between me and other cars on the track. I am not as concerned with from a dead stop drag racing straights. To be honest, I am bored with drag racing and will probably stick to road courses here on.

I understand that the s2k will not have much of a throwback affect, which is acceptable as long as it feels fast.

A corvette would probably be the perfect car for me, but I refuse to buy an American car. So thats why I was thinking 350z as an alternative to the s2k.

I am not sure if I would go FI or not. I have come to realize that the more mods you do to a car, the more sh*t breaks or requires supporting mods and I am not sure if I have the energy to deal with such a headache that results.

On the s2k I would probably go intake, header, exhaust, hondata reflash, sway bars and call it a day. I just need to check price/gains to such a setup and make sure there are not too many support mods needed.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:04 PM

I would forget the Hondata Reflash and get a VAFC2 or a Greddy EU. But I think a STi is what you are looking for. Lots of torque, and looks MUCH better than a 350z IMO.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:02 PM

Make sure you know what kind of power gains youll be getting from those mods. Youll probably spend 3000 for about 20whp. And I guarantee that an extremely skilled driver in a stock s2000 will be able to turn harder, brake later, and come out of a corner much faster that even with your bolted on s2000 you will not catch up. I would save all that money and definately buy a used comptech supercharger kit. It is %100 bolt on. Doesnt need anything besides tuning. Its just as reliable as stock. Modifry (a member on here) went 100,000 miles of being supercharged with NO problems. And the base sc kit should get you roughly 300whp.

Quick Reply: Experienced with Nitrous but New to S2k