S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Exhaust Rasp at 6k

Old 12-09-2010, 09:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust Rasp at 6k

So I bought a Megan exhaust from a fellow member a couple months ago. It was in pretty good shape from what I could tell but when we put it on the car with invidia test pipe whenever vtec is roaring at 6k there's a real nasty rasp coming from the exhaust. I got it heat wrapped but that didn't seem to help much...I'm guessing it's some actual damage done to the muffler? I'm not looking to spend more than 200 on a fix but I'm not looking to get a universal muffler for a civic as I plan to go J's once money permits. The noise is not killing me but I would e willing to fix it If it's not going to cost me a fortune. Any ideas? Worth my money, or just ride it out?
Old 12-09-2010, 11:25 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a Megan Drift Spec single but haven't noticed any rasp. Not sure what it could be...
Old 12-09-2010, 11:28 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like other megan/cheap exhausts I've heard....
Old 12-09-2010, 11:36 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Seems like a lot of the cheaper exhausts with a test pipe give a nasty raspy sound. Could also be something broke loose inside a resonator if it has one causing that. but most likely it is just the cheap exhaust that gives that raspiness.
Old 12-09-2010, 12:09 PM

Hmm I will have the test pipe replaced to stock but I remember my old eBay exhaust eventually gave out because it was for ap1 and there was major crack between the weld of pipping and muffler, given the exhaust sound bhp at
3,500k. Although it was ALOT worse with that broken piece of junk it sounds similar to the noise being emitted from the car...will see Watsup with swapping out test pipe back to stock
Old 12-09-2010, 12:12 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Do you have a resonated test pipe? Try going under the car and hitting the exhaust to hear if there is anything loose or any rattles.
My old Megan test pipe that was resonated came apart inside and caused a nasty rattling/raspy noise.
Old 12-10-2010, 04:09 AM

Check all your gaskets. A leak somewhere can produce rasp. I have the same 3" on my ap1 and its only raspy when the silencer is in for over a week and the carbon builds up around it. With the silencer out it sounds fantastic but not daily driveable. It sound like an f1 car with a 9k limiter.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:18 AM

Loll, well it is heat wrapped on the exhaust piping so I gave it a bang but not much movement so I could hear if anything was really rattling inside due to how rigid it is.
How would I go about cleaning my exhaust/patching a gasket if there is a imperfection?
Old 12-10-2010, 06:45 AM

Well if the gaskets look ok and you don't see carbon build up on them going from the inside towards the edge they should be ok. I'm assuming you reused the old gaskets from the guy u got the exhaust from? Also try unbolting it and putting it back on. Maybe it wasn't aligned right and just needs to be reseated. I wouldn't try to patch a gasket though. They're cheap so just get a new one and if you can't find it make one. Some auto part stores carry a gasket sheet that you can trace out and cut your own gasket
Old 12-10-2010, 07:00 AM

maybe its time just to buy new. Thats the reason why i replaced my dual exhaust with a (megan) single, 1. because i had the dual on there for a year n a half and it rasped bad decelerating from like 7k rpm. I put my megan single on and i get 0 rasp. just some chatter from it hitting my frame

Quick Reply: Exhaust Rasp at 6k