S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Exhaust question

Old 09-11-2008, 03:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust question

Ok girls and guys hope you guy can help me out on 1 issue I have as of now. Well not really an issue but a thought. I am in the market for an exhaust right now for my car, I
Old 09-11-2008, 04:47 PM
tof

Received 1,996 Likes on 1,354 Posts

Have you seen one of those silencers? The inside diameter is tiny! And the design really disrupts flow. Instead of just flowing along a constant diameter tube, the exhaust gasses suddenly have to find their way into this small tube surrounded by dead-end space. Turbulance galore. If the Greddy silencer is like most of them it will choke the engine's efforts at exhailing its spent gasses. Not at normal toodle-along speeds. But when you put the hammer down you will have less power than you would with a factory exhaust system.

By contrast, the 70R-EM looks like it has a 70mm tip...same size as the rest of the system. Nothing wrong with that. Tips that are larger than the diameter of the rest of the exhaust really don't add to performance. Your exhaust system won't perform any better if just the last two percent of its length is bigger. Besides...70mm seems to be about as big a system as you want with this engine. Anything larger and the exhaust stream slows down so much it begins to hurt scavanging...where the flow of the exhaust stream helps "pull" spent gasses out of the cylinder when the exhaust valves open up.

In general any exhaust system flows as well as its worst flowing section. So a really small poor flowing section will screw up the flow of the entire system. (There are some exceptions...eg you can get away with a smaller diameter nearer the engine because the hotter gasses at that point flow faster...thus turbo systems with 2.5" down pipes and 3" the rest of the way back for example.)

In other words a tip thats the same diameter as the rest of the exhaust won't hurt the flow of the system, but one that is in effect dramatically smaller will.
Old 09-11-2008, 05:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh i thought the tip of the EM was smaller than the pipe itself assuming the tip being smaller it was acting like a silencer .