S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Exedy vs Oem Clutch

Old 04-22-2009, 06:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey i recently had my clutch replaced. I work at an autoparts store n got what is the 'oem" clutch it was an exedy. Aparently honda doesn't make there own parts they uses other company and use exedy for there s2k clutch. I had a shop put in the clutch w. an aftermarket flywheel and i do have sum problems w. it
Old 04-22-2009, 10:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is the brand of the flywheel? I know Fidanza is flywheel is kinda rough with it replaceable mid section surface.
Old 04-23-2009, 05:21 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

As stated, Exedy makes the OEM clutch.
I have had a few OEM clutch discs with the Exedy name on them along with the HONDA stamped name too.

Using a hybrid clutch, PP, flywheel works best in our car. You can use an ACT or Spec PP along with a OEM friction disc and OEM AP1 14 pound flywheel.

949 racing is a sponsor on the sight and sells the Spec brand clutch kits. You can buy the Spec PP with light option
If you go with this PP choice there is no need to spend money on a light flywheel. The light Spec PP option has an aluminum frame and a steel friction surface that is about 4 pounds lighter than the stock PP. The savings is/can be enough to pay for the install

I have had a few different clutch setups in my car and I like this one the best. It has a light smooth engagement, no clutch buzz, and grips very well.

The most aggravating thing to me is the use of more clutch than you will ever need in this car. Almost every blown diff horror story I am Pmed with has a 6 puck clutch villain in it.
Harsh engagement, chatter, and buzz are just the beginning of the story the real horror begins when your drive train starts coming apart.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:00 AM

Heres my question.

I have a Toda flywheel.

I dont know what clutch kit or pressure plate to go with?

Someone said i would have some problems with running an OEM clutch with the an aftermarket F.W.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by S2KPUDDYDAD,Apr 23 2009, 08:21 AM
As stated, Exedy makes the OEM clutch.
I have had a few OEM clutch discs with the Exedy name on them along with the HONDA stamped name too.

Using a hybrid clutch, PP, flywheel works best in our car. You can use an ACT or Spec PP along with a OEM friction disc and OEM AP1 14 pound flywheel.

949 racing is a sponsor on the sight and sells the Spec brand clutch kits. You can buy the Spec PP with light option
If you go with this PP choice there is no need to spend money on a light flywheel. The light Spec PP option has an aluminum frame and a steel friction surface that is about 4 pounds lighter than the stock PP. The savings is/can be enough to pay for the install

I have had a few different clutch setups in my car and I like this one the best. It has a light smooth engagement, no clutch buzz, and grips very well.

The most aggravating thing to me is the use of more clutch than you will ever need in this car. Almost every blown diff horror story I am Pmed with has a 6 puck clutch villain in it.
Harsh engagement, chatter, and buzz are just the beginning of the story the real horror begins when your drive train starts coming apart.
Puddy, this is great info. I am in the market for a new clutch and I have exhaust as my only mod. I was going to do the Competition Ironman clutch in case I get a chance to buy a used S/C down the road. BUT now that I got into school for the fall, the S2k will be my DD and not see boost for a while. Glad this was brought up and I emailed 929 about the PP and OEM clutch combo.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:24 AM

thanks guys for all the help

i will be installing the clutch myself so no worries on cost of labor
Old 04-23-2009, 01:16 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Crackerballer,Apr 23 2009, 02:19 PM
Puddy, this is great info. I am in the market for a new clutch and I have exhaust as my only mod. I was going to do the Competition Ironman clutch in case I get a chance to buy a used S/C down the road. BUT now that I got into school for the fall, the S2k will be my DD and not see boost for a while. Glad this was brought up and I emailed 929 about the PP and OEM clutch combo.
Few know of the Spec combo or the light option. 949 may not even know that this combo works but, it does.

The Stage 2 full face kit is all you need for most all FI setups. Most Stage 2 kits will hold 350 to 380 foot pounds of torque.
You will have to be in the 500 plus horse power range to see this torque. A 6 puck stage 3/4 clutch is not necessary in this car it is the main cause of drive train failure because, most people can not drive smoothly this aggressive of a clutch.

Old 04-24-2009, 10:21 AM

Good pics puddy, I PM'd 929 today and brakeoptions on here to see who could get me just the lightweight PP. I think I will go with it and an OEM friction disc. Should be nicer than stock and rev a little faster.