S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

EVS Tuning 70-SSP Exhaust

Old 01-23-2012, 12:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by takchi
I have stuck my head inside stinkytofu's car when he was revving it. Do the same to my car and you'll hear it in 3-4k RPMs. I didn't have the same sensation in his car.
All of your arguing for this exhaust is based off of "sticking your head inside" a car with the 70-SSP? Wow, I'm at a loss for words...

Free revving the car, the 70-SSP has no drone. When the engine is under LOAD, it has plenty of drone. You clearly did not get a good impression of the exhaust.

Originally Posted by takchi
As far is Evasive taking the exhaust back, well you did modify it right? I guess Evasive have their own policies to protect themselves. The purchase of this product means you had to agree to these policies before purchase.
I didn't modify the exhaust at all. I took it off the extra hanger and moved it to the left so that it would be centered (simulating a bent hanger arm). That is when it made contact with the underbody. There is no other way to adjust the exhaust, as turning it would only make the tip rise upward.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I guess the best question is this.

Are you trying to maximize your power gain, or minimize noise, or try to find the best balance of both?
Old 01-23-2012, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by psychoazn

Are you trying to maximize your power gain, or minimize noise, or try to find the best balance of both?
The answer to that question is: I'm trying to gain as much power as possible without making the car annoying to drive. I'd rather not have a car that gives me a headache after 20 minutes of driving. Maybe that is too much to ask.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by greatfox
Originally Posted by psychoazn' timestamp='1327355241' post='21345032

The answer to that question is: I'm trying to gain as much power as possible without making the car annoying to drive. I'd rather not have a car that gives me a headache after 20 minutes of driving. Maybe that is too much to ask.
Annoying is subjective, but you seem pretty sensitive to NVH. The answer in your case, is to stay stock.

Bolt-ons on the s2000 have been proven to provide minimal gains.

As stated before, your best option is to go FI if you want power. There are numerous options that will give you 50% or more power gains, with NO increase in NVH.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sorry greatfox i really don't want to come off as bashing you, but i can't help it. You just come off as a pretentious drama queen. You nit pick at every little thing. You try to come off as informative but can't tell clutch noise from exhaust noise shouldn't be too hard. Evasive bent over for you then you claim they lied to you. I could care less about Evasive's rep. The way you came about complaining though just put the scope on you.

Simple fix sell the exhaust. The fact you claim that the EVS exhaust is louder than a full race exhaust is lunacy.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:13 PM

Annoying is subjective, but you seem pretty sensitive to NVH. The answer in your case, is to stay stock.

Bolt-ons on the s2000 have been proven to provide minimal gains.

As stated before, your best option is to go FI if you want power. There are numerous options that will give you 50% or more power gains, with NO increase in NVH.
Annoying and drone are both subjective. It isn't the volume or loudness that bothers me. It is the resonant frequency around 3-4k RPM that some characterize as "drone" that bothers me. I can't really describe it with words other than using the word "boomy". After 5,000 RPM, it sounds awesome, exactly what I wanted. User "S2000vtecvtec" came for a ride in my car and can verify the sound. Before he rode with me, I had never met him before, so he is not backing me up because he is a friend. In case you missed it, this is what he said:

Originally Posted by s2000vtecvtec
yesterday, i met greatfox(Dallas) in anaheim. he's very friendly and honest. so i had a 10 minute ride in his s2000. he did everything to show me how this exhaust sounds. EVS 70-SSP exhaust and a test pipe were the only mods.

it's quiet as oem exhaust under 2500rpm. from 5000-8000rpm, it sounds great WOT. the tone is clear, not raspy. BUT 3000-4000rpm just drones. he cruised 2 minutes under 3000-4000rpm to show me how it is. from 4000-8000rpm, it doesn't drone at all.

i think he's trying to share his experience instead of basing a vendor here.
and again:

Originally Posted by s2000vtecvtec
the exhaust can be daily, but the drone was terrible. be honest, greatfox's car drones badly around 3000-4000rpm.
So, he clearly agrees with me. I have had cars with loud exhausts in the past, but they didn't have an annoying resonant frequency like my car does now with the 70-ssp.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:18 PM

Like I said, its pretty clear that you value "no drone" more than power gains, and unfortunately, the solution to that is to go back to a stock exhaust.

My offer still stands to take a look at your install and to go for a ride to verify the drone. I can separate out the individual noises your car may be making.

An alternative is to try a HFC.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by QuagmireS2k
I'm sorry greatfox i really don't want to come off as bashing you, but i can't help it. You just come off as a pretentious drama queen. You nit pick at every little thing. You try to come off as informative but can't tell clutch noise from exhaust noise shouldn't be too hard. Evasive bent over for you then you claim they lied to you. I could care less about Evasive's rep. The way you came about complaining though just put the scope on you.

Simple fix sell the exhaust. The fact you claim that the EVS exhaust is louder than a full race exhaust is lunacy.
I don't really want to even engage with you, but I feel compelled to explain the clutch noise in Daryl's car. It sounded like a Ducati dry clutch (for those of you that have heard a Ducati, you'll know what I'm talking about), and made all sorts of humming and whirring noises. It was quite strange to say the least.

As for you judging me without having met me, well that's your prerogative. But I'm a really nice guy, I promise
Old 01-23-2012, 02:25 PM

Like I said, its pretty clear that you value "no drone" more than power gains, and unfortunately, the solution to that is to go back to a stock exhaust.

My offer still stands to take a look at your install and to go for a ride to verify the drone.

An alternative is to try a HFC.
Unfortunately, you might be right (about going back to stock). I really wanted to find a nice single that didn't drone and I had high hopes for the 70-SSP. Another exhaust I am eagerly awaiting (and have helped prototype at Greddy in Irvine) is the GoTuning 70mm titanium single. It is supposedly based off of the ASM 70 S-special titanium exhaust design and is being built by Greddy to GoTuning's specifications. Aaron has indicated to me that this exhaust will come to market in about 6 months if everything goes according to plan.

BTW, I do plan to try a Berk 70mm HFC, but I can't imagine it being better (in terms of drone) than the 63mm Berk test pipe I'm using right now...
Old 01-23-2012, 02:29 PM

Other than the ASM Siren Circuit, I've yet to find an exhaust that is as refined and quiet as stock.

Quick Reply: EVS Tuning 70-SSP Exhaust