S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Easy Painting Solution V2 wheels painted

Old 02-03-2011, 08:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea i feel you homie, if you have the patience of sanding, you could just paint the wheels with a normal spray can and than clear coat, or go with a powder coater and you'll def. good.

If you wana join the smoke out thread, its in my thread
Old 02-03-2011, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by it'S2klean,Feb 3 2011, 09:58 PM
If you wana join the smoke out thread, its in my thread
LMAO, more power to ya man. i read quite a bit and that is some funny sh**. but i do not (either fortunatly or unfortunatly depending on perspective lol)

will be interested in seein how the paint works out with everything though....and i will try to not get too bored and make a brash decision haha. im more interested in the gloss look....but gah this just seems so much more simple..
Old 02-03-2011, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by whitebrad25,Feb 3 2011, 10:22 PM
and i will try to not get too bored and make a brash decision haha.

Hehe you can see the grinder in the last picture

Old 02-03-2011, 09:32 PM

at least it looks good. what did you end up doing to the cover?
Old 02-03-2011, 09:38 PM

Its still sitting here, i cant get the paint out of the corners, im going to pick up some paint remover and let it soak for a while than pressure wash. Than the real fun comes in by hand sanding by stages of 200 grit from 600-2000 and than buffing it. I dont think the product will end up like i hoped it to be so i will probably end up powdercoating it white for a gloss look but it was worth a try.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:47 PM

ya, the pic looks good, i have seen the look before on the forums but not on an S in person. hell, deffinatly worth the time to try...that sounds like a good back up plan anyway haha, love the GPWs....it was the color i was originally looking for but none were in good shape that were available at that time near me. i think that will be the worst part for me if i end up painting the stock rims...sanding them down to hold the paint....idk what it is, i just dont like messing with sandpaper. i know a shop that does powder coating in austin though....i kinda dont wat to use the money for stock rims though lol. i have seen paint turn it up the same..but i know that the powder coat would easily cover the scratches etc. from the previous owner...choices, choices..
Old 02-03-2011, 09:50 PM

The wheels arent a bad investment to powder coat actually. You can have someone sand blast it for you prob for around 120 but im not sure, its def. worth the saving of time.

luckily our wheels dont have any little groves, so its not to much of a pain, get an electric sander.

This would be the ulti kit
Old 02-03-2011, 09:58 PM

ya. i am most likely going to either keep my stock rims plain or paint...because realisticly, when these tires are done, im going to look for rims+tires and start a 17" combo.....maybe just stock ap2 rims powdercoated...but i dont think i want to invest too much into the stock set up....the more i think about it, if im gunna spiff up the ap1 rims, the plastidip paint seems a decent option. im not in a hurry to mess with it though....just got to be occupied by other stuff so i dont dive into it haha
Old 02-03-2011, 10:12 PM

Oh if you got ap1's atm def. wait to get ap2's
Old 02-13-2011, 08:25 PM

BIiggg Bump!!!
FIRST OFF, the Trick to remove this spray, is simply rub.

So i finally pained them the other day and i've been driving around on them for a while. The product is pretty sweet. I took one set of an gave them a little sanding painted them and threw them back on. There was maybe 1% of a visual sign of stress on the face of the lugs to give it away. Heres a picture of the ones i took off to paint, torque them on, and took them back off.

Now i was far to lazy to take all of them off and sand them, so i just wiped them down and dried them off and sprayed like hell!! I was careful to not overspray so there wasnt any drips, let it dry for 30 minutes and repeated, i did a total of four sprays.
Within the first 4 hours, after the initial 30 minutes of drying ofcourse its really easy to take off so if your doing your badges, i suggest thats when you do it, somewhere at the end of 3-4 hours, because its still light and the paint in between the groves will come off very easy. Here are a couple pictures of my badge that i did on the car, i just taped and gave it a very quick sand of 300 grit.

Now at first i was worried what if it just comes off this easy theres no way its really durable....uh oh i have to sort that thread out... Lol. So i only took it off one set of wheels to see how just the lug nuts would handle. Its amazing how this stuff peels at first. Again, i was worried it be to easy.

I thought well...i could probably put a little bit of clear coat on this and it wont chip, but than i figured the removable aspect wont work, unless your able to find an edge of the PlastiDip that isnt covered in clear coat and it may still come off.

I didnt worry about it, and today has been four days, and they are still holding through great, i drove about 400 miles on them, and 3 hours through the rain. If paint does come off, buy another can!! I will paint my wheels once i get another another ride, it should be fine, especially with two sprays of clear coat, but for that im def. gunna take it off and sand slightly.

SO, im not sure yet when the best time to take the paint of the part you dont want, because you do not want to take paint off the lugs, but you want to be able to take it off without being there for hours. The most practical option is really to take it off within the first 4 hours but just to be very careful when taking/rubbing it off in the lug nuts groves.

So here are the pictures.
FIrst lets start with badges. For the parts that dont come off, take tweezers and slightly pull at the edges.

Now here are the lugnuts, first photo is off the wheel i just sprayed a couple times, waited an hour and than peeled, it was extremely soft, and i told you how easy it was to take a little paint of the lugnut while in the groves trying to remove the excess well this is what i mean. now some people are like eeeh theres gunna be black in the groves, not really if you do it within the first 4 hours most of the black will come off from the groves if you pull it with angle of the dip grove. Not all but alot.

Now here is how the wheel that i didnt touch except on that one obvious spot, not bad four the 200+ miles in 4 days

Compared to the shitty Ebay Ones

Also included this in first post