S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Easy Painting Solution V2 wheels painted

Old 03-17-2011, 07:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Reckon
I guess it's not clear coat as much as it was a clear can of plasti-dip. I bought one can of clear plasti-dip to put over my white coatings for a shinier look. Should still come off the same.
THIS is what i wanted to know, because wont a normal spray can of Clear Coat that we'd put on our front bumpers completely take away the RUB and Remove factor? LOl i forgot they have clear Coat plastidip.

Mhmmm good fun!! Im gunna paint my lip, my spoiler, and the bottom of my ap2 bumper (where the curve is) and see how it turns out just for fun...
Old 03-20-2011, 02:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Again, if you do this, make sure you get an even coat all the way around. I didn't do that great of a job between the spokes and you can really tell up close (within 1/2 a foot). It looks great from afar though.

Also, when cleaning, be careful how hard you rub on the lip of the wheel as that is a great place to rip the coating.

When cleaning, a clean cloth with a constant stream of water does the trick. If you like to put tire shine on your car, prepare for your coating to soak it up and possibly get dirty from it. If it does, I find that Fast Orange or a grease remover does a great job of cleaning up the rims.

Keeping this white clean is a job, but it looks good, even after a few days of brake dust and a first wash.
Old 03-20-2011, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Reckon
I guess it's not clear coat as much as it was a clear can of plasti-dip. I bought one can of clear plasti-dip to put over my white coatings for a shinier look. Should still come off the same.

^ ^ ^ Cleaning proccess tips def. will help.

Where did you get the clear coat of plasti-dip. I think i saw it at home depot before but i went to a slightly smaller one and they didnt have it, but maybe it was because it wasnt as Home Depot.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:44 AM

I got all of my stuff online only, toolsavings.com. I bought 4 cans of white and 1 can of clear for $48.07 shipped. I went with them because they were cheap and had plenty left in stock. This stuff is hard to find at most places, especially when you need more than 1 can. 3 cans of white got me 4 coats, but again, I should have done a better job between spokes. It's ok though since I am going to get them powdercoated in a few months anyway (wanted to see if white would look good on my NFR and to see if the stock rims would look good vice buying aftermarket ones).
Old 03-23-2011, 05:39 PM

I would recomend getting a can per wheel because it starts dying on your, but if you dedicate one can to each wheel, at the beginning with high pressure you spray normally, at a nice distance to have an even spread, but when the can content is low the spray weakans ofcourse and thats a good time to fill in an holes/spots you didnt get the first few rounds without making it to runny.

I didnt wait for it to dry really...i just went at wheel by wheel till it was semi wet, did the other 3 than smoked a cigarette...could have done it better with a little more patience but watver

I would also suggest spraying your wheels like i did in the picture because holding the can horizantal makes some blots come out

Old 03-27-2011, 03:53 PM

So I definitely want to try this out, but I'm a little worried that I will mess it up.
Anyone come across anything new about this?

I want to do my AP2 wheels, front, side, and rear emblems. I think it will look sick when it comes together.
Old 03-27-2011, 04:18 PM

You cant really mess it up besides it getting an "drips" or an "orange peel" texture to it, just spray from a distance, starting from a different angle every time you spray so the side of the spokes get hit too. Maybe even give the side of the spokes more direct attention when the can starts to run low on pressure.

Plus if you dont like the result, you can take it off and try again ^.^

I actually ATE a median today because some old lady in her Lexus 460 was weaving into my lane and i swearved to the side in order to miss contact, poped both my tires, and took a nice chunk out of my wheel, but the paints still there
Old 03-27-2011, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by it'S2klean
You cant really mess it up besides it getting an "drips" or an "orange peel" texture to it, just spray from a distance, starting from a different angle every time you spray so the side of the spokes get hit too. Maybe even give the side of the spokes more direct attention when the can starts to run low on pressure.

I actually ATE a median today because some old lady in her Lexus 460 was weaving into my lane and i swearved to the side in order to miss contact, poped both my tires, and took a nice chunk out of my wheel, but the paints still there
Alright I'll keep that in mind!

Old ladies...Always out to get you. Shoulda thrown her one of these -->
Old 03-29-2011, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by it'S2klean

Sucks to hear. Hopefully there isn't anymore damage to your car. And we know the plasti-dip can withstand some pretty good impacts .
Old 03-31-2011, 03:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Removed the plasti-dip today. Still looked nice, just missed my OEM finish.