S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Does more power = greater risk?

Old 06-13-2012, 02:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by japhethwar
More power is harder on your license as well. My car is turboed at about 450whp. I never drive like an asshat, just like to punch it now and again. Pulled out onto the road about a month ago and accellerated kinda hard up through fourth. I didn't realize I was over 90mph in just a few seconds. Unfortunately for me a state trooper was around the next corner and I spent a night in jail for reckless driving. You get used to more power and you just don't realize how fast your really going. In a NA car you've got to really beat on it. With boost you can achieve insane speed so effortlessly, its freakin awesome. Hard on the license though. The same goes for car control with more power as well. Its damn easy to get yourself in a really bad situation. If I didn't have traction control I would have tossed it in the trees more than once on some of my mountain runs. On the older cars with no aids, it could be very dangerous in the wrong hands. The best mod you can make is in yourself. Maybe do some autocross or Hpde's to get some real instruction and experience the car at the limit in a safer inviroment before cranking the power. Be safe out there, and watch your speed. I would say more power=equals the need for more responsibily. Which is freakin hard when your just dying to unleash the beast.
Yeah see.. yet another few reasons why I wouldn't go FI. One is I don't speed on the streets, 2nd is having a turbo or S/C and only opening it once and a while. And lastly is cops which with the new budget in my state there are more cops than ever.

Originally Posted by franky
Not really if you are looking for torque. Ap2 tranny is stronger than ap1 so why not? Just 4.77 gears is fine but your ap1 tranny will go out eventually, so why not just do yourself a favor and upgrade early. If both are too extreme for you, ap1 diff is cheap, easy and fast to sway out.
Maybe the transmission since 2nd and 3rd grinds sometimes. But no on the diff. I changed the diff on my last car, liked the gained feel but hated how it raised RPMs on highway driving and tanked my mpgs. Don't need that in the 2K either.
Old 06-13-2012, 04:06 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by franky
Not really if you are looking for torque. Ap2 tranny is stronger than ap1 so why not? Just 4.77 gears is fine but your ap1 tranny will go out eventually, so why not just do yourself a favor and upgrade early. If both are too extreme for you, ap1 diff is cheap, easy and fast to sway out.

I've had 4.77's onmy AP1. That already was a bit too much gear and made the car feel slower doing highway pulls. With AP2 trans it would be even worse.
I'd never go over a 4.44 gear with the AP2 transmission. You would have to shift constantly with both.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Moddiction
Originally Posted by franky' timestamp='1339570448' post='21777422

I've had 4.77's onmy AP1. That already was a bit too much gear and made the car feel slower doing highway pulls. With AP2 trans it would be even worse.
I'd never go over a 4.44 gear with the AP2 transmission. You would have to shift constantly with both.
Thank you. Wondering if cams, tune, good headers, and better intake should def add 20hp. There was a test with Brian Cower Stage 1 cams that added 11hp and few torques, without a tune. Now imagining a good intake and headers with tune should be well over 20hp.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:31 PM
Former Sponsor

Shouldn't worry too much about peak gains. The big area the s2000 is lacking is area under the curve. So a nice stand alone ecu tune with a good name brand header and test pipe should pick up some good midrange gains as well as some up top as well.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Standalone being the most important piece. Just bolting on breather mods will yield very small gains.
Old 06-13-2012, 02:01 PM

"with great power comes great responsibility." Uncle Ben from Spiderman

/thread.
Old 06-13-2012, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by AZ-S2000
I've seen LS swapped S2000, and 2JZ swapped 2Ks but being that these cars slide out pretty easy just wondering at what point is it over kill. I'm pretty satisfied with stock power.. I'd would like a tad more so thinking of going better intake, good headers, cams, and a tune.. wondering if that would get me another 20+hp and few more torques. The thing is I wouldn't do a motor swap because that car was engineered with that motor for best balance and power. Plus its awesome to have a 9K rev'ver. Inputs?
Torques? Seriously? lol.
Just get the sos kit and call it a day.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by calebzimm
"with great power comes great responsibility." Uncle Ben from Spiderman

Yup. Exactly why I don't drive like a moron on the streets. Rarely ever speed either. That's what I said in the first place.

/thread.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Excalibur
Originally Posted by AZ-S2000' timestamp='1339554059' post='21777004
I've seen LS swapped S2000, and 2JZ swapped 2Ks but being that these cars slide out pretty easy just wondering at what point is it over kill. I'm pretty satisfied with stock power.. I'd would like a tad more so thinking of going better intake, good headers, cams, and a tune.. wondering if that would get me another 20+hp and few more torques. The thing is I wouldn't do a motor swap because that car was engineered with that motor for best balance and power. Plus its awesome to have a 9K rev'ver. Inputs?
Torques? Seriously? lol.
Just get the sos kit and call it a day.
Nah.. Its over kill I think. I don't track it, not yet at least. I was going to jump on a SOS Supercharger kit on craigslist for Phoenix but I talked to SOS about that and they said its pointless since its a beta kit and those parts they have are not in stock anymore and aren't manufactured anymore. Plus $ 3,500.00 plus missing pieces, ECU, and you'd already be as much as a brand new kit from them.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:01 PM
Former Sponsor

More likely than not you will wish you had just got a sc kit in the beginning in a year or two down the road. I know I sure did after doing a bunch of bolt ons and gears costing almost as much as a sc kit.
They are very tame kits and drive just like stock but more power up top.
If you are even considering one at all try and see if you can find someone local with a sc kit that can give you a ride. Once I got one I was hooked and bought a sc kit right away!

Quick Reply: Does more power = greater risk?